Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marines, Pikemen and More

Default Marines, Pikemen and More

Marines Mod

v1.1 Released

Changelog:
    - Added Danish Marines Unit Description
    - Changed Danish Marines Unit Name to "Kongelig Marineregimentet" from "Kongelig Marineinfanterie"
    - Made all Marines Heat Resistant
    - Increased Danish Marines Unit Limit to 5
    - Made Marines recruitable from Naval Administration Buildings (starting with the Admiralty), instead of Barracks
    - Made Higher level Naval Admin buildings recruit higher levels of Veterency for Marine Regiments
    - Changed Spanish Marines unit name from "Infanteria de Armada" to "Infanteria de Marina"

Bug Fixes:
    - Sweden now unable to recruit Danish Marines
    - Marines being made obsolete by more advanced buildings fixed with the Naval Admin switch
    - ETW v1.3 Compatible

New Development
    v1.1 had a bug rendering the new unit descriptions non-functioning; I believe it was a 1.3 issue, but in any case v1.1b has been reupped and this latest version should have fully readable unit descriptions as well as a new unit model in the campaign map unit info screen. The West Prussia mod has also been updated with this fix.

Original Post
    I will post a few minor modifications in here that I made primarily for my own use, but which I figured I may as well upload.

First up is the Marines Mod 1.0. A simple, relatively painless mod, all this does is add new units to vanilla ETW; I am aware "A Proper Empire" has marines, but I had already made this by the time I found out, and figured I may as well give people the option to have marines without making any other alterations to the vanilla gameplay.

This file contains the following units:
    Royal Marines - Great Britain
    Continental Marines - US
    Troupes de Marine - France
    Korps Marinier - Netherlands
    Infantería de Marina - Spain
    Kongelig Marineregimentet - Denmark-Norway
    Fuzileiros Navais - Portugal

Each country's marines are limited, but each country has a different limit, between 4 and 8. Each marine unit has a unique unit description, except the Danish marines, on whom information is very difficult to locate (a future release will include tweaked descriptions, plus a Danish one if any Danes can suggest a description in the future).

The Marines' stats are based on Prussian Line Infantry, so they are slightly better than most countries' Line Infantry, but not outrageously so. They are also slightly smaller than Line Infantry regiments.

Readme contains instructions for install.

Screenshots
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Continental Marines:

Danish Kongelig Marineregimentet

United Provinces Korps Marinier

Spanish Infantería de Armada

British Royal Marines

French Troupes de Marine

Portuguese Fuzileiros Navais

Bugs/Fixes

v1.1:
    - None reported yet
    v1.0:
    - Sweden able to recruit Danish Marines Fixed
    - Marines made temporarily obsolete by more advanced barracks Fixed
    - Not ETW v1.3-Compatible Fixed

West Prussia Mini-Mod

v1.0

This mod changes the Polish names of the cities and towns of the West Prussian province to their German Equivalents; Historically, Prussia did not conquer West Prussia for some time after the game starts, but in the game it is foolish to leave West Prussia unconquered long after turn 5, and it seems strange to have Polish names for these towns when the poles on average control the province for only a few years.

Changelog:
    - Gdansk = Danzig
    - Poznan = Posen
    - Gdynia = Gdingen
    - Bydgoszcz = Bromberg
    - Elblag = Elbing

Installation and Compatibility:
    This is fully compatible with ETW v1.3; It is also fully compatible with my Marines mod; Simply put westprussia_mod.pack into your data folder instead of marines_text_mod.pack, as the West Prussia folder contains unit names and descriptions for the Marines units. You don't want the marines but still want Germanic town-names in West Prussia? Not to worry, the extra marine unit names and descriptions will have no effect on gameplay if present in your data folder without the main marine pack.

Thus the WP Mod is compatible with the Marines Mod (And Pike Mod) and is also perfectly usable as a Standalone add on. You can also use the Pack File Manager to copy-paste my changes from this file to any other mod's .loc text file, and use it with other mods; I have placed all the Marine and West Prussian changes at the top of the file, so it is as simple as

1. Open my text file in PFM
    2. Export TSV
    3. Open other mod's text file in PFM
    4. Export that mod's TSV
    5. Copy-paste the changes from my mods' TSV into the other mod's TSV
    6. Use "Edit-Find" to find each polish city (Gdynia, Gdansk etc.) and delete original entry in your mod text-file
    7. Import new TSV into your mod's Text file
    8. Save and enjoy!

Disclaimer: No offense intended to Polish-enthusiasts; This mod is mainly intended for Prussophiles like myself. Feel free not to use the West Prussia mod if you like the original Polish town names better!
    Last edited by Wolfgang von Zweibrücken; July 03, 2009 at 10:29 PM.

"That war is a terrible thing I agree, but it is not so terrible that we should submit to anything in order to avoid it. For why do we all vaunt our civic equality and liberty of speech and all that we mean by the word freedom, if nothing is more advantageous than peace?" — Polybios, Historiai, IV.31

Default Re: Marines, Pikemen and More

Pikemen Mod

This is also a unit pack, like the Marines Mod, for my fellow pike-enthusiasts. No new names or unit descriptions (for now...), but it makes Pikemen recruitable for most european factions, and there are three versions. Version 1 is the "Pike Light Mod", which replaces the odd cowboy-hat wearing Pike model with the Light Infantry Model. I'm putting up version 1 first, version two will replace Pike model with Line Infantry model, version 3 will leave the original model.

I have also given the pikemen closer spacing in all three versions, both for aesthetics and in the hopes that they will be capable of forming pike-wall and pike-square more quickly if they are closer together.

Since there is no new text file, the pike mods are (or should be) compatible with any and all other mods.

For future versions, I may limit the number of pikemen units recruitable, or increase cost/upkeep, depending on whether or not people discover annoying ai stacks of pikemen in the later game (so far I have not).

Update 4/17/09

All three versions (Light Infantry Model, Line Infantry Model, Original Model) are now available

Pike Mod Screens

Light Infantry Model

Line Infantry Model

Campaign Recruitment

Bugs

v1.0, all varieties:
    - Swedish Pikemen missing unit screen-name
    - Model-switches may cease to appear if used alongside too many other mods; exact number unknown
    Last edited by Wolfgang von Zweibrücken; July 03, 2009 at 12:19 AM.

"That war is a terrible thing I agree, but it is not so terrible that we should submit to anything in order to avoid it. For why do we all vaunt our civic equality and liberty of speech and all that we mean by the word freedom, if nothing is more advantageous than peace?" — Polybios, Historiai, IV.31

Reserved.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Great to see the units packs coming out! Good work!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Halberdier View Post
    Great work and instant download! I like the idea with localized unit names!

I think we had the same idea with the marines

Today I also released my marines in this thread here

Cheers!
    Swiss Halberdier
    Heh, I was inspired because I tried to find the marine mod I saw somewhere a few days ago, and noticed that the guy that made it took it down for some reason, so I resolved to make one for myself!

EDIT That's cool that you found a use for the drummer model (Elite Grenadiers)! I was just thinking recently how he looks so much like the "Jaegers" in Age of Empires 3.
    Last edited by Wolfgang von Zweibrücken; April 16, 2009 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang von Zweibrücken View Post
    Heh, I was inspired because I tried to find the marine mod I saw somewhere a few days ago, and noticed that the guy that made it took it down for some reason, so I resolved to make one for myself!

EDIT That's cool that you found a use for the drummer model (Elite Grenadiers)! I was just thinking recently how he looks so much like the "Jaegers" in Age of Empires 3.
    LOL! Few days ago I noticed his unit mod and saw the "euro_marines" model too.
    I didn't have the time to create my own textures so far... but there are many talented people here in the community who are releasing beautiful skins so far.

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Nice mod +rep.

Seriously, Ive been waiting for my marine corps brethren to be included in this game considering that they played an important role in the 18th century.

Kave-In's Avatar Libertus

Nice one .. Cheers m8

Nordfeldt's Avatar Civis

Hi Wolfgang, very nice mod.

Try this page for a danish unit description: http://home6.inet.tele.dk/fam-guld/Mariner/mariner.htm
    There is a very good description.
    System specs:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 3.0Ghz
    4GB Mushkin DDR2 PC2-1066
    WD Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM
    Western Digital 1 Terabyte HD 7200RPM
    Gainward PCI-E GeForce GTX280 1024MB 2x DVI
    NorthQ NQ-4775-850-flex 850W modular PSU ATX2

titanvoyager's Avatar Biarchus

nice addon!

Shame that CA didn´t do some historical uniforms at least for the major factions. I´m really tired of seeing the same uniform for all nations.

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Hey I thought Id provide some pics of historical continental marine uniforms to help out a little. They actually wore several different uniforms in the 18th century but a lot of people dont realize that the original regulation marine uniform was a green jacket, white facings, white pants, and black boots. They wore these throughout the American Revolution.

There are a lot of pics showing marines wearing the blue and red uniforms, which some might have; but these didnt "officially" come into regulation until 1798.

Anyways thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Maybe it'll help with your mod.

Another excellent work! It's great to see so many unit packs right now since I don't have the time to mod the game myself. I have a request for you... could you make a post-French Revolution texture for the Troupes de Marine?

hitokiri2486's Avatar Centenarius

Looking good!
    Let me persuade you with my powerful logic skills.

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.
    St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

Not compatible with Imperial Splendour ? It looks really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    Not compatible with Imperial Splendour ? It looks really good.

Do you mean it didn't work with Imperial Splendour? The worst that should happen when using this with other mods is that you would get the units, but without descriptions or unit screen-names, which is because there can only be one file of the type that contains those changes in your data folder (additional ones are ignored); If your problem is that you can't see the unit names or descriptions, I can post a tutorial on how to fix it using the Pack File Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordfeldt View Post
    Hi Wolfgang, very nice mod.

Try this page for a danish unit description: http://home6.inet.tele.dk/fam-guld/Mariner/mariner.htm
    There is a very good description.
    That will do nicely, thanks! Will be incorporated in 1.1.
    Last edited by Wolfgang von Zweibrücken; April 16, 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Edit: Never mind , nice mod ! +rep
    "In the early days he lived life with his eyes un-open ,
    conditioned to always go quietly . One day his father went
    off to war . To fight a war for something that is not worth fighting for .
    A forceful pry at his eyes to see a beautiful world has been taken from you and me .
    'This is killing me', he said to his mother . 'Is this the true face of humanity ?'"
    - Verse , Story Of A Free Man - Chapter 1 : The End Of Innocence

I didn't add this yet, Wolfgang.I have so many reskins but I'll try it now. Should work ok, ty.

Well done excellent pack just what im looking forward to trying out.
    Thanks a lot

hitokiri2486's Avatar Centenarius

Any news on what's next? New units? Making existing units available to other factions? It would be cool to let England recruit Highland Clansmen for example.

Keep up the good work!
    Let me persuade you with my powerful logic skills.

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.
    St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast