Thread: Can we get rid of the cowardice and resting habits?

Icon4 Can we get rid of the cowardice and resting habits?

Ok. I had enough of watching my so called "soldiers" to just stand, watch, scratch their b..ls and not fight. Maybe it`s a vanilla bug or the game engine or some coding i don`t know but if this could get modded it will be very nice. Here`s the issue: when for instance an enemy cavalry unit charges your infantry and some horsemen get surrounded by my troops very little amount of them are fighting the surrounded riders. You get sometimes a rediculous situation when 20+ bayonets engulf the rider but just 2-3 guys are fighting him while the rest of the cowards are making some sneaky suspicious steps and enjoying the show. So he lives MUCH longer than he would if this was a real situation and these were real soldiers and not some grannies with parkinson`s decease. This is just an example of this annoying behaviour as it happens in infantry - infantry fights too. The overall feeling is that the majority of the army is a bunch of voyeurs. So please tell me this can be modded as the melee curently is a joke.

Default Re: Can we get rid of the cowardice and resting habits?

I think this is because a soldier within a unit can only be attacked by two soldiers simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by white_elephant View Post
    I think this is because a soldier within a unit can only be attacked by two soldiers simultaneously.
    This is crazy. I hope there is a way to change that cause its a nightmare.

i think that is probably hard coded into the game engine...too bad right? back in M2 i always wanted my mass of pikemen to stabbed just one guy to death. lol

Completely different genre but I feel your frustration...American Football games have been around 20 years+ at this point and they can still only do 1 and 2 man tackles when 5 guys are right there. I understand the complexity of the issue but it still sucks.

This problem crosses all genre boundaries and isn't specific to TW....I wish there was a resource/computational power solution that was simple but there just isn't. I do wish for games such as E:TW that they did do it differently though. It is quite amusing when a 60 man cavalry slammed into the back of my 420 man line infantry and melee (read hilarity) ensues as 400+ guys stand around watching 20 fight lol

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

That can't be right can it?

It was one of the contributions to the jedi king effect in MTW that only 3 individual could attack another at the same time so even completely surrounded your king could keep killing...

I thought that all changed in RTW...

Heaven knows the effect these fight animations have thought, they appear designed for 1v1 fights between soldiers...
    "They are the devil's vegetable" - Captain Keeble, HMS Bulwark

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Insane View Post
    I thought that all changed in RTW...
    This is an entirely different engine though. One that doesn't always keep nice features from previous games.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

It was one of the contributions to the jedi king effect in MTW that only 3 individual could attack another at the same time so even completely surrounded your king could keep killing...
    Most kings were good fighters who could. regardless of on or off horseback, still hack away until capture or death
    (e.g King Harold, Hastings 1066 - Had an arrow in his eye and kept fighting with his Huscarl soldiers. When the Normans got to him they hacked every limb off. MTW2 simply kills him for simplicity o.o)

Soldiers may not have had the heart to kill the horse...until pikes came along.
    Last edited by GuiltyBoomerang; April 15, 2009 at 11:29 PM.

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyBoomerang View Post
    Most kings were good fighters who could. regardless of on or off horseback, still hack away until capture or death
    (e.g King Harold, Hastings 1066 - Had an arrow in his eye and kept fighting with his Huscarl soldiers. When the Normans got to him they hacked every limb off. MTW2 simply kills him for simplicity o.o)

Soldiers may not have had the heart to kill the horse...until pikes came along.
    Still, you have to have seen a King (or prince even) on his own (bodyguard dead) completely surrounded by 3 or 4 spear units and still hacking away... You would have to speed up time and hope that he didn't kill enough to rout everyone!

The most effective tactic was to surround him with spears and also attach him with archers even though they hit your own men as he was more vunerable against missiles.

While it was fun, it did wear a little thin...
    "They are the devil's vegetable" - Captain Keeble, HMS Bulwark

Still, you have to have seen a King (or prince even) on his own (bodyguard dead) completely surrounded by 3 or 4 spear units and still hacking away... You would have to speed up time and hope that he didn't kill enough to rout everyone!

The most effective tactic was to surround him with spears and also attach him with archers even though they hit your own men as he was more vunerable against missiles.

While it was fun, it did wear a little thin...
    I'd use gunpowder troops in both MTW and MTW2. In MTW, I remember one unit or musketeers walked IN RAIN, and constantly shot and killed off a king and his unit without retaliation. Talk about AI back then....