Braving incoming arrows, General Titus orders a charge:

http://img91.echo.cx/my.php?image=truegeneral1lb.jpg

He charges in front of his men, ready for a fight, and knowing no fear:

http://img91.echo.cx/my.php?image=scharge3tr.jpg

He fights with a soldier's heart:

http://img91.echo.cx/my.php?image=generalfights6gu.jpg

And stands against unkind odds:

http://img91.echo.cx/my.php?image=standing5nw.jpg

Just wondering, were many, if at all, Roman Generals like this historically? Leading their men into the fray and such.

".........." -Gordon Freeman

Centurion Quintus's Avatar Campidoctor

Intruiging pics, I assume you're using the Sky mod with custom battles.

I doubt many Roman Generals did lead into battle like this, just doesn't seem fitting. I could be/probably am wrong.

They generals of Rome didn’t do that much I think Cesar himself out of all the battles he fought only personally lead his troops in to battle once

But sweat pics anyway
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Marshal Qin's Avatar Bow to ME!!!

from what I've been reading in Livy, roman generals/consuls, at least in the early republic years were often invloved in fighting. 2 at least sacrificed themselves in battle (by charging straight into the enemy lines) as an offering to the gods to guarantee victory.
    Exotic Slave - Spook 153, Barbarian Turncoat - Drugpimp, Catamite - Invoker 47
    Drunken Uncle - Wicked, Priest of Jupiter - Guderian

Under the patronage of El-Sib Why? ...... Because Siblesz sent me
    Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS?)

Well, thats acctually a captain and not a general. But I think both captains and generals din't see much battle since they have to keep everything und control and get a picture, wich he can't do very well in the heat of battle.
    uhuh

It would probable depend from one general to another;

like Alexander the Great and king Porus; It's commonly said that they would fight in the front. (I know they're not Romans but I had to study them for history so.... *tongue* )
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Alexander always went in with his Companions. The Spartans invariably led their men into combat (although not usually the other Greek cities).

I know the Saladin and Genghis Khan were both timid and never rode into combat themselves.

-Comrade Alexeo

Captains would do such since they were "replacable", but not all Generals would do things like that only if it was for the gods to allow victory. They were too important to do those things. Probably only barbarians and Spartans did that.

honestly and historically, most roman generals actually are skilless with the gladius.
    they are only there because of their strategic skills nothing more.

O'brien the Protector's Avatar Lord of the Mannequins

how do you tune on the camera angles like that?
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    -(Under the patronage of the humble, yet all powerful Lord Sephiroth.)-Royal House of the Black Prince

Lord of the Mannequins~Protector of Happiness, Bishop of Liberty, Guard of Hypocracy, Patriarch of Duality,O'briantheProtector(OBP)

PROFESSORPAUL's Avatar Senator

Im using the "Movie Cam".

".........." -Gordon Freeman

Clibby's Avatar Praetor Maximus

And the best part about this amazing general is that he never flinches, or even blinks in the sight of danger&#33; Heck he doesn&#39;t even change expressions&#33; :w00t

Winner of the Tech Award 2005 at www.TotalRome.com

Under the patronage of apparently nobody since they cant keep their citizenship!!!

It would probable depend from one general to another;

like Alexander the Great and king Porus; It&#39;s commonly said that they would fight in the front. (I know they&#39;re not Romans but I had to study them for history so.... )
    Yup it does depend from one general to another. You cant sterotype and say all roman generals fought or didnt fight.
    Same with carthaginians and greeks.

Hannibal fought among his men it doesnt mean all carthaginian generals did (just him and his brothers i think, 3 of them killed in battle. Well mago was fatally injured but died outside battle)

Alexander fought among his companions again it doesnt mean all macedonian and greek generals did.

In the Punic Wars more than a handful of roman generals fought in the front lines.

Hannibal89

From what i&#39;ve read, Ceasar did, maybe not always, but he did

Also they wouldn&#39;t sacrifice their lives unless it was for the gods or the glory of rome.

In the early days, the Roman Generals did fight with their men occasionally... barbarian leaders always fought with their men... it showed to them that he was willing to risk his life as they were and so they could respect him... Genghis Khan did fight with his troops... he had started his own band of horsemen before the horde and everything... I&#39;m pretty sure Saladin went to battle.... many Carthaginian generals fought with their men.. especially the Barcas... and those that failed to ensure victory were crucified... so why not risk yourself in battle if it means you could rally your men? Tribal chiefs usually led their warriors to battle.. as he was either the strongest, the most respected, or had to maintain respect.....

many generals fought with their men, but not all...
    and I don&#39;t think any one of them could have charged into battle.... braved a hail of arrows... charging Parsee hillmen ....cut them down himself and brave the skilled Camelry of the enemy... all without retreating... or even flinching.. he has one awesome poker face...
    Hunting Jackal in Halo center,Kosmoko in MiddleEarth, etc. on other forums

Originally posted by Phoenician@May 12 2005, 07:34 PM
    In the early days, the Roman Generals did fight with their men occasionally... barbarian leaders always fought with their men... it showed to them that he was willing to risk his life as they were and so they could respect him... Genghis Khan did fight with his troops... he had started his own band of horsemen before the horde and everything... I&#39;m pretty sure Saladin went to battle.... many Carthaginian generals fought with their men.. especially the Barcas... and those that failed to ensure victory were crucified... so why not risk yourself in battle if it means you could rally your men? Tribal chiefs usually led their warriors to battle.. as he was either the strongest, the most respected, or had to maintain respect.....

many generals fought with their men, but not all...
    and I don&#39;t think any one of them could have charged into battle.... braved a hail of arrows... charging Parsee hillmen ....cut them down himself and brave the skilled Camelry of the enemy... all without retreating... or even flinching.. he has one awesome poker face...
    Khan may have fought very early on, but then everyone did. Later on though, he didn&#39;t (this is from THE military historian, John Keegan, BTW)

Also another thing I forgot to post was also their skill level. Like if they could win the battle without fighting, what was the point. Like a five star general wouldn&#39;t have to fight where as a no star general would fight to show his valour and courage.

Didn&#39;t Pompy charge into battle? I know that Caesar supposedly charged into the back of the Gauls at the battle of Alesia.

Welcome to our forums subedei the great. Also I am not entirly sure about Pompy. But I do know many Greek kings did and some Romans.