Thread: Arab colonies in South America?

General David's Avatar Senator

Apparently, 17 million South Americans are of Arab origin. Does anyone have more information on this?

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?t...storyID=8445424

What's there to no? Arabs invaded Spain, and controlled it. The Spanish eventually forced them out, but of course Arabs still remained afterwards. When Spain started moving to the new world, some Arabs were bound to go over with the Spanish.

You then have people coming over as immigrants as things got bad in the Middle East, such as during the two World Wars.

It says this in the article.

not to start a huge debate, but the arabs conquered the iberian peninsula befor 700 ad, before the spanish and portugese even existed as entities. Also, the jews and arabs kicked out of spain in the inquisition were some of the first explorers of the new world. That is the most i know.

I think this is more about race then nationality.

mabye religion, not race because the muslims and christians were almost identical there in appearnce, spain was very cosmopolitan and advanced and there was much intermingling during the muslim rule there.

The Term Colonies is incorrect.
    From What i've heard most of the arabs in South America were Syrians and Lebanese fleeing from Turkish Persecution and seeking a better life.

Hannibal89

Mehmed II's Avatar Vicarius

From What i've heard most of the arabs in South America were Syrians and Lebanese fleeing from Turkish Persecution and seeking a better life.
    There's only one thing I'll say to this. D'OUH! What did we do now?

And ofcourse the lovely Shakira is south american of arab descent!
    Tiocfaidh Ár

Mehmed II

You know me mehmed i dont say things like that without cause.
    I know two things, there was wide spread poverty in syria and lebanon during turkish occupation (at the end towards the 1900s)
    And many of those who could no longer afford to live, or who could no longer afford to pay jizya had to leave.

I was however incorrect in only blaming the turks. my bad
    When the french took over after the turkish defeat in WWI, many more fled to south america fearing further persecution.
    Happy now mehmed ii? I explained
    to brian boru
    And ofcourse the lovely Shakira is south american of arab descent!
    Yup to be exact i think she's from lebanese origin on her mothers side. The term arab is very vague and incorrect i think, it refers to everyone from an arabic speaking country when they are actually from various ethnic groups. (and religious)

Originally posted by Mehmed II@May 11 2005, 10:55 AM

Yeah that hurts but it's the truth. Many Christian Lebanese fled to Brazil because of Turkish persecutions.