Thread: Help with adding voice sounds to units in battle

Default Help with adding voice sounds to units in battle

Could someone direct me to a thread or tutorial on how to add voice sounds to units in battle? I play the CLouds Across Eurpe 1.4 mod that is a nice mod but, unfortunately, all new units have no voice sounds in battle and that breaks the immersion for me. Since the mod seens to no longer receive support I'm thinking on fixing it myself.

thanks in advance

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Help with adding voice sounds to units in battle

Assuming that you just want to use existing sounds, it's quite easy. All you need to do is add entries for the new units in export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt.

Each accent has a section, which is further divided into general, heavy and light sections (ie. classes of units as dictated by the voice_type line in the EDU). You'll see a lot of entries for things like handling siege engines but scroll through it and you'll see the unit entries

Some units have specific sound files (eg Boyar Sons) so that they call out their name when you click on them. But others just have generic voices such as "Heavy Cavalry". Just find a similar generic unit's entry (from the correct accent and voice_type class, copy and paste it and then change the name to the new unit's name. To get your changes into the game, you'll also have to delete the events.idx and events.dat files in the data\sounds folder (the game needs to rebuild them to include your changes).

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Hm, seems like I've a problem

I created two new accents (converted the sound files, all text files edited where needed and placed in the data folder of the mod).
    I've assigned the new accents to the factions.
    I've added strat map voices for the new accents.
    Deleted the event.idx, event.dat, voices.idx and voices.dat.
    All worked fine, the files got recreated, the strat map voices of the new accents are ingame.
    Everything works fine.
    Then I've converted the sound files for the unit voices in battle from .mp3 to .wav (8bit 22.050Hz stereo = 352kbit/sec).
    Edited the export_descr_units_voice.txt and placed the converted sound files into the right folder data\sounds\Voice\Human\Localized\Battle_Map.
    All files are named like they are named in the export_descr_units_voice.txt.
    The event and voice files get recreated when I restart the game, the voice.wav files for the units are added to the voice.idx and voice.dat.
    When I start a custom battle, to test the voice implementation, the units which I changed the voices for, have no selection voice.
    The units of the same accent for which I did not change the selection voice have their selection voice.
    I actually don't know what else to do.
    I suppose I missed some crucial entry or have still the wrong sound format..
    Any advice?
    Last edited by Aikanár; April 17, 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Maybe I'm wrong but if I remember right, vioce files have to be .mp3.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Hm, all the battle map voice files of the mod (TA:TW) are in .wav 352kbit/sec, even the vanilla ones used in it are in .wav.
    The strat map voices are in .mp3 though...
    I thought of .mp3 for battle map voices as well, but when I use .mp3 files for battle map voices, it's the same result.

Edit:
    If I assign another faction to the new accent, they keep their voices like they're supposed to.
    I should've added that beforehand, I used the original english accent as a basis of the new accents, hence all units have their corresponding entries.
    Edit2:
    It's definitely the format of the sound file. I've assigned another preexisting file to the unit and everything is fine. I renamed my file to the easiest way possible to avoid any typos, no result.
    Actually my files and the existing files have the same format, I really have no clue what went wrong while recording.
    Edit3:

Problem solved, the voices need to be 16bit 20.050hz MONO ... which equals 352kbit/sec.
    Last edited by Aikanár; April 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.