Thread: Removing IS mod?

Default Removing IS mod?

I've tried both Darth and IS's mod and decided I'm just going to play vanilla due to the over aggressiveness of the AI, starting wars with like 3 nations after turn 1 and such... Thing is, I remove the mod from the data folder and now I cannot run ETW, I'm getting an immediate CTD. I've had to use the mod manager to disable it but I'd still like to know why this happens when removing it?
    "It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out;
    it's the pebble in your shoe."

- Muhammad Ali

God - A supreme being according to some particular conception.
    You are your own God.

Default Re: Removing IS mod?

You removed the mod without editing the user script. The Mod Manager edits your script for you. It adds a line when you check the box next to a mod and deletes it when you uncheck it. If the user.empire_script tells the game to look for a mod and it can't find it, you get a CTD. That's what happened to you. When you told the MM to disable IS, it deleted the appropriate line and fixed your problem.

You can manually edit the script here:

Windows Vista
    C:\Users\(Your User Name Here)\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

Windows XP
    C:\Documents and Settings\(Your User Name Here)\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts
    Last edited by erasmus777; April 14, 2009 at 05:51 PM.

did you replace the startpos file?

the crash to desktop is caused by the uneditet user.script_empire.txt file.
    Paths are posted above, just delete the file and the game will run again.

If you also used the startpos and scripting files, be sure to replace them with your backup, else delete them and use steams "verify integrity of game cashe" option.

Thanks for the info, my dumb ass seems to have not backed up the startpos file.. is there anyway to get it back?

..else delete them and use steams "verify integrity of game cashe" option.
    This will work instead?

I thought the startpos was just to unlock the unplayable and emergent factions.
    "It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out;
    it's the pebble in your shoe."

- Muhammad Ali

God - A supreme being according to some particular conception.
    You are your own God.

you need the startpos file so to get the original back just delete the one you have and verify integrity of game cache option as stated above and it will redownload the original.

Yes, it will work and the startpos is nideed just to unlock the unplayable factions, also adds victory conditions and some starting techs and money to the weak.
    There should in fact be no issues with this file.

The scripting.lua on the other hand is dangerous and should be replaced by the original one (deleting and using steam works)