Thread: Remember your best kings or generals?

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Default Remember your best kings or generals?

Hey guys! Long time since I've posted anything here. Still, im always checking out this forum whenever I'm here.
    This was some topic over at the Empire:Total War forum a while ago. I posted the famous king Pyyrhos of Epiros back there. I thought it would be fun to start a topic here aswell.

So, do you remember any of your past kings/generals/faction leaders of Diadochi - Total War? Share us your story about him. Tell us how you let him rule the world and become the mightiest general of the world. And if you can, post some pictures of him if you have made some (perhaps from an old AAR?).
    I start with mine:

Pyyrhos of Epiros
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A greek king who really kicked ass in my Epiros campaign. I pwned the Romans at the battle of Asculum and fought my way up to Rome and beyond. Later on, I easily crushed Carthage and was about to invade Macedonia. He looked great in his armor! Below are some pictures of my old AAR with some descriptions.

His chart when I started out at campaign.

A portrait shot of him in the fields. I quite liked this one.

Fighting Romans at Italy. Pyyrhos is on the left, he smacks down a Roman soldier to the floor as they try to run away.

Brave Pyyrhos fighting his way through Carthaginian pikemen.

Front view of Pyyrhos!

Ptolemy of Epiros
    Pyyrhos also spawned great sons: almost equally as good as him. Ptolemy of Epiros was one of his best sons. He was one of my finest generals aswell. Below are some pictures of Ptolemy of Epiros in action.

Ptolemy is about to face a great Macedonian General. It was quite a personal battle.

Ptolemy gets a smack on the back of his shoulder by the Macedonian general
    Dont worry, Ptolemy won the battle tho

Here you see Ptolemy of Epiros fighting a Macedonian Standard carrier and a captain together with his brother Helenus of Epiros. Helenus was a lesser general in my campaign tho.

A portrait shot of Ptolemy after victory.

Hasdrubal of Carthage

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

My second campaign at Diadochi Total War was with the republic of Carthage. You start out with the faction leader named Hanno. But he's pretty old and he died early in my campaign. His son Hasdrubal had to take over things and became my number one leading general. I had a quite adventurous ride with Hasdrubal since I took all the rebellic provinces at North Africa with him first. Then I headed back and started to make war with the Romans. Many battles were fought over at the greatest cities of Roma.
    About halfway in my campaign, Hasdrubal's first born son reached age of 16. From that age they were joined together. With Hasdrubal and his son Bisaltes, I took over all of the west coast and the islands of Italy.

Unfortunately, I dont have much pictures of Hasdrubal. The focus of my screenshots was more on the units then the generals in this previous AAR. Bit of a shame since he really kicked much (roman) a$$.
    Below are some screenshots I was able to find of my previous AAR. But not as much actionshots as compared to Pyyrhos above.

The faction leader of Carthage named Hanno dies early in the game

Young but experienced Hasdrubal was now ruler and will become one of the mightiest generals.

I was able to find a shot of Hasdrubal at my AAR screenshots gallery.

Hasdrubal and his elite bodyguard enjoying a great view on one of the Roman cities.

A shot of Hasdrubal and his firstborn son Bisaltes. At this point, Hasdrubal was quite old and if I remember correctly, he died a few turns after this battle......peacefully.

And before he died, I took a shot of his profile and his stats. He sure was in his prime.

I hope you enjoyed it and I would really like to hear stories or pictures of your finest general ever of Diadochi - Total War.

GARGANTUA

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Re: Remember your best kings or generals?

Hehe... good times..
    Rarely see so much idiocity in one shot
    I swear that guy on the left looks like a hillbilly who got a new sword and is about to hack his own leg off. The general is frying his bacon in the middle of the battle and the standardbearer is in an over-dramatic end-of-the-battlescene, gladiator like pose. While an epirote soldier received a taunting smackdown by a musician and is srsly about to be backstabbed by a very 'srs' looking dewd...

Last edited by RedFox; April 14, 2009 at 04:15 PM.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Nice.

But, more or less to the topic, I've had so many 10-star generals that I can't remember all their names.

Most recent was Dionysios of Sparta in Sparta: Total War III. He recently died of old age, though, right in the middle of a siege of Sardis. I still took the city.

Mine is still alive and conquoring.... just need to post him.

Dam ctd's wont load up for me to post a cap of my mine

Don't have screenies, but I had a brilliant new Alexandros rise out of a Macedonian campaign I was immersed in...

His name was Asphalion. Born with the "military genius" trait, as well as Superb Administrator, Intelligent, and Superior commander.

8 Command stars, 5 admin, and 2 influence at 16.

Needless to say I conquered Anatolia with him, earning him the epithet "the Conqueror."

My favorite character from any TW game.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

LOL RedFox! Hilarious editing and background story about that picture. So true too, hahaha!!

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Your Kings look bored in their pictures, but I agree, Phyrrus was considered an Olympic god in my campaign, he died in Makedonia, Alexander's (His relative, perhaps their military intelligence ran through their genes) homeland, ofcouse that's where I wanted him to go down.

Shacklock's Avatar Semisalis

Aaah, did a campaign with the Egpytians a while back and the King's son became like a god of war His most notable action was leading a small army north to disrupt the enemy in a fierce war that had lasted bloody ages. Forget their name but the huge empire immediatly north of Egypt. Anyway, this force fought gorrilla actions for about five years, routing a load of armies, evading some, tricking others and taking a few cities. Best battle was when finally three armies encircled his small battered one and he barely won on this sick ass map where I held a curved wall of phalanxes on the slope of a hill in the middle of the woods and ambushed the various forces surrounding me. By the end of his life he had a trait something along the lines of 'So scared even children and pets are afraid to go near him', never lost a single battle and took a lot of territory.

Will this mod have custom portraits or battle models for Diadocoi Generals?

Senator

I had a great General once when playing as the Pergamines, 8 command stars, 3 management scrolls and 7 influence. I think I adopted him with 5 command stars, 1 managment and 2 influence. I chose him to lead my war machine through Asia Minor and into Egypt then into southern Greece, he was a raring lion! My own version of Alexander!

Ian Altano's Avatar Senator

For some reason almost none of my family members ever make more than 5 command stars/scrolls/wreaths...
    And yet my treasury remains under 50.000 denarii. I had one with potential once, but he was killed in a bloody battle just outside of Hatra. Shame.

Any tips on how to get better quality family members?

Senator

If you want good management members leave them in a city with an academy or some sort of educational building. You can also fight lots of battle with them to get their command and influence up. If you dont want to lose family members keep them out of the battle or pull them out when the situation is getting hairy.