Thread: infrnatry hides behind cover

Default infrnatry hides behind cover

First of all thank you for darthmod it is great and love playing it but...

I could not find if anyone already noticed or adressed the problem but it seems that every time I hide my infrantry behind walls or any obstacles to minimize casualities, they don't fire at all. In the end I get my infrantry shot at and not responding with fire so I have to move them in the open. Is there a way to fix it?

notger's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: infrnatry hides behind cover

Don't use the built-in hide feature (that extra green icon), rather let them stand behind the wall normally.

Quote Originally Posted by notger View Post
    Don't use the built-in hide feature (that extra green icon), rather let them stand behind the wall normally.
    But will that even work, if you want to have your units in cover?

it protects them from the majority of fire as the bullets are modeled individually and so some are stopped by the wall. It also allow your unit to use any firing drills normally which is better then when hiding properly

So it is a bug in the mod can/will it be fixed?

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Stoferr View Post
    But will that even work, if you want to have your units in cover?

...seems to be pretty effective, the ai keeps its distance here some things i tried:

in defence: place troops behind the wall and build trenches/picket lines= double defense... again works for me but experiment. to date i have had enemy cavalry think again before charging my lines and inf. only approach en masse and very cautiously

on attack: get your inf. line close to the desired wall and set to guard, this uses the cover as you can clearly seee bullets ricochet on the wall when under attack, it also prevents them from following routing enemy and creating that broken staggered line around the wall. which messes up your firing drills...

on attack or def find walls with foliage or trees around and your troops will auto hide and have added cover.....

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Yes there seems to be a bug - its not from DarthMod it is in Vanilla already. The cover does not allow the covered unit to fire properly - but on the other hand that is realistic in some way. In my opinion some kind of animation bug, as the troops behind the cover can not handle with that fence - another animation would be needed - according each cover! After all its not a big issue - as in my game DarthMod 1.0 - they do fire! but to a much lower percentage.
    Last edited by Syntax; April 14, 2009 at 06:45 AM.

Weird, i havent noticed this issue myself?
    Though i have found that they reload slowly (About 2 shots when they could fire three without the wall), aswell as them being less accurate. I still find the "Hide" feature very useful as the casualties sustained is reduced by at least 75%...

However, what is really weird is that when two units hide behind the same wall (Facing each other), they stand up and fire into the air, instead of firing at each other (Weirdest part is that there sitting less then half a meter away...)
    The only casualties occuring at this stage is when by luck one of your soldiers and there soldiers stands up and both fire at the same time (In which case they usually both die anyway)...

Though with walls, have any of you had issues with targetting enemy AI who are hiding behind walls? I cant seem to get cavalry to charge them even from there backs, and i cant seem to order the soldiers to shoot em down, i have to make them stand nearby and switch to Fire at Will...

I just wish the walls are removed altogether. Nothing ruins a cavalry charge (and alot of fun) when your cavalry has to stop mid-charge so it can gallop over a little fence.

This problem happens after u researc Fire by rank. Before u do that, they fire behind walls with no problems.

Ahhhhhhh thats why - makes sense now

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpius_Brutii View Post
    I just wish the walls are removed altogether. Nothing ruins a cavalry charge (and alot of fun) when your cavalry has to stop mid-charge so it can gallop over a little fence.
    I think that just adds to the experience, you have to use more tactics, make sure there aren't any fences in the way, and you can also use fences to defend against cavalry more effective yourself, I like it.

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

The initial cover idea itself is very good and looks quite cool, but the path-finding and animation problem is not 100 percent addressed jet and will remain a huge challenge for the programmers of the game. This applies to all the objects on the battlefield, fence, house, rocks, bridges,....The more men a unit has the more it is becoming influenced by this. As already stated some can not fire until the last man joins the group formation and sometimes the soldiers just get stick at this fences and need quite a long time to follow. Or cavalry can't do a proper charge as there a still horses left behind - so the cavalry just go to melee without the charge bonus applying!
    Last edited by Syntax; April 15, 2009 at 05:35 AM.