Thread: i need help to select a CPU for my old motherboard

the name of my motherboard is ecs k7s5a. i know it is a very old motherboard. but i am not planing to build a new PC any soon, and the CPU that i had right now is amd xp1800 run at 1.5g. i just want upgrade cpu for now. my motherboard supports amd athlon xp/athlon/duron processcrs and it supports 200/266 mhz fron-side bus. so what is the best kind of processcrs i can upgrade to.

does these CPUwork for my motherboard it is 266 mhz FSB???

AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 3000+ (DTR) Barton 266MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103482

or this AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 2600+ (45W) Barton 266MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103436

do both work for my motherboard ????????????????????

thank you

barton 2500+ is the best axp

As far as I know the XP-M should work. Depending on your motherboard's overclocking abilities you could get alot of performance out of the XP-M, those things overlock like mad.

If you get the XP-M and your RAM is decent you could probably boost the FSB and get a pretty decent performance increase. Everythign else would depend on your motherboard.

According to the Elite websire it supports up to a XP2600.

What multiplier does it allow in the BIOS? "CPU PnP Set up Page"

You have to be careful thanks to the stupid naming system (which some AMD apologists still claim is rational) that AMD are using. The CPU you can put it is dependent on the multipier and the FSB. You're spot on realising only 266FSB CPUs will work. The trick its to find the highest multiplier to go with it.

FSBxMultiplier = CPU speed.

At least it used to be like that until marketing men got involved and geeks started believing it was true.
    ...but I think Germany with home advantage will raise their game as always for the big ones and win the title. Post #260

Originally posted by Custor@May 13 2005, 09:36 AM
    According to the Elite websire it supports up to a XP2600.

What multiplier does it allow in the BIOS? "CPU PnP Set up Page"

You have to be careful thanks to the stupid naming system (which some AMD apologists still claim is rational) that AMD are using. The CPU you can put it is dependent on the multipier and the FSB. You're spot on realising only 266FSB CPUs will work. The trick its to find the highest multiplier to go with it.

FSBxMultiplier = CPU speed.

At least it used to be like that until marketing men got involved and geeks started believing it was true.
    Only if you're using the same architecture though.

They changed the naming scheme because people were comparing the FSBxMultiplier of a Centrino or Athlon with a Pentium 4. and concluding that the Pentium 4 is universally better. That just isn't true. Even Intel has given up the outright Megahertz push for their next generation of CPUs.

If you need proof that speed isn't dependent upon Megahertz alone I'll build myself an Athlon FX-55 based computer and you can get a Celeron running at 3.2 Ghz. We'll see which is faster.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Talk about strange naming schemes:

AMD has renamed the (socket-A/462) "Athlon XP" to "Sempron".
    They didn't change the architecture at all, just the name.
    They did this to reflect the fact that the previously state-of-the-art processors are now sold as budget processors.
    So you might want to take a look at the "Sempron" segment too.

BUT BE CAREFULL: there are also Sempron's available for Socket 754 and, of course, they won't fit on your mobo.

And you should also consider that the amount of cache has a big influence on performance, especially since you have a slow memory interface.
    Try to find a processor that has 512Kb or more of cache.

Originally posted by Erik@May 13 2005, 03:44 PM
    Talk about strange naming schemes:

AMD has renamed the (socket-A/462) "Athlon XP" to "Sempron".
    They didn't change the architecture at all, just the name.
    They did this to reflect the fact that the previously state-of-the-art processors are now sold as budget processors.
    So you might want to take a look at the "Sempron" segment too.

BUT BE CAREFULL: there are also Sempron's available for Socket 754 and, of course, they won't fit on your mobo.

And you should also consider that the amount of cache has a big influence on performance, especially since you have a slow memory interface.
    Try to find a processor that has 512Kb or more of cache.
    None of the Semprons will work with a 266 Mhz FSB. They're all designed with at least a 333 Mhz FSB.

Originally posted by jlin12345us@May 10 2005, 12:19 PM
    the name of my motherboard is ecs k7s5a. i know it is a very old motherboard. but i am not planing to build a new PC any soon, and the CPU that i had right now is amd xp1800 run at 1.5g. i just want upgrade cpu for now. my motherboard supports amd athlon xp/athlon/duron processcrs and it supports 200/266 mhz fron-side bus. so what is the best kind of processcrs i can upgrade to.

does these CPUwork for my motherboard it is 266 mhz FSB???

AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 3000+ (DTR) Barton 266MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103482

or this AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 2600+ (45W) Barton 266MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket A Processor - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103436

do both work for my motherboard ????????????????????

thank you
    the best thing you can do is upgrade the MB, CPU and yes RAM. First it is not that expensive for a 2800 CPU, Ram is at its lowest and is probably faster (400Mhz) then wat you have .