Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

Celsus looked at Sextius sharply.

"We would be fair. They tried to assassinate our officials, they prepared to attack us, they killed our soldiers, ROMANS!"

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

This is the only thing i am against.

II. The League of Greek Cities agrees to pay the Senate and People of Rome the sum of 200 denarii per year for a period of 10 years as reparations.
    But a vote does n' t matter does it? We all know what the outcome will be, the senate has overcome by greed.

Yes thy did and thy suffered the consequence thy lost hundreds of there men and two of there Sicilian cities. Do we need to insult and humiliate them any further.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

Overcome by greed? You are overcome by stupidity, Senator Postumus, if you would let the peace fall for the matter of a mere compensation to our benefit! What about the families of the brave men that died fighting against them, on both sides! They wish peace as much as anyone, if not more!
    If they come to us, begging for peace, then it does not matter for them that it costs them a bit more than just their pride.
    They will not leave empty-handed, for, if I heard it right, all trade routes between us and the Greeks shall be reopened. They will earn their lost money back very quickly.

Anyone who is against this offer is a fool, or a warmonger, and does not have the best interest for the Republic in heart.
    We cannot keep fighting the Greeks, it would be a total waste of our resources, and of our brave soldiers.

I do not think that it will be necessary to bring it to a vote, that would only take more of our precious time to have the same result at the end.
    You wouldn't go all the way to Gaul just to see that grass is green, now would you?
    Last edited by Galerius Priscus; April 16, 2009 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerius Priscus View Post
    Anyone who is against this offer is a fool, or a warmonger, and does not have the best interest for the Republic in heart.
    How can i be a warmonger or not have the best of interest for the Republic.

I want to remove only one line of the treaty, removing this line would ensure the republics safety as it shows them that we can forgive.

I tell you this senators if this comes to a vote i will abstain it. Our god jupiter has shown me a sign of two hawks one of them had a rabit in its claws the other bird tried to get a grip of it this points out to greed, i will not have any part in that.

My god man are you deaf or deliberate talking nonsense did i ever talk of not accepting peace?
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; April 16, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

OOC: Here go the animal prophecies again....

IC:
    Would you forgive, Senator, if someone would kill you? For kill the Greeks did, by the thousands, good, true Romans. (OOC: In the 1:20 scale)

I don' t think i would be able to forgive some one as this man still would be amongst the living, if i would meet him in the underworld i would forgive him.

And lives where lost yes but not only Roman lives. And praetor you are assuming i am against this peace as well so it seems.

You are mistaken, but let them bring forward the gold for the republic let them by humiliation as thy will strike us again one day.

ooc Yes the animals again i can talk about falling rocks from the sky if you like but that would not help in this matter.

Also lord kal could you make it clear if thy proposed this treaty or that you negosiated it by proposing it your self?
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

OOC: I didn't know Romans were so forgiving. "yes but not only Roman lives." and I think they held Romans a bit above other nations. Anyway, sorry for the OOCs.

OOC: I proposed it myself, because I accidentally rejected their ceasefire when I pressed ESC to pause the game.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

ooc: forgetting for a moment that you had intended to pause a turn based startegy game?
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Come, come senators, it's a good treaty, why are we arguing with just one senator, most of us are with this plan so I say get on with it.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

As this simple legislation seems to draw such divided response from the Senate, then let us judge it unbiasedly, through vote.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Since no objection has been raised to the creation of a propraetorship consisting of Sardinia and Corsica, can the Consul confirm that his has passed? This would make the Proconsulship that Crassus holds grant him imperium over the island of Sicily.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Gaivs walked in through the large doors of the curia and grunted as he did. His face was worn, but through this pale façade shone his eyes. They glared brightly around at the others before he made his way to the curile chair.

I apologise for my tardy arrival men, but I have been overcome by an affliction(lack of free time ). I am however here and I beseech the house to try and maintain civility in its debates. I understand as much as the next the need for emotion in our house, but sometimes the bile becomes as important as the real substance. We are all fine men, and our disagreements only shape us into a stronger body, so please...be men and not children.

As for The Propraetorship of Corsica and Sardinia, I object Macerinus. I believe the guidelines of our predecessors are adequate for the task and that the basis for the changing of these is unfounded. You have set your heart in this matter I feel Macerinus and I cannot for the life of me see reason to change. Unless you can provide for me with good reason, I shall object; even if I stand alone. If something is not broken don't fix it, especially if your solution is to obliterate the perfectly functioning system.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Citizen

The division of power so that one man does not hold too much power is one of the tenants of our society. Also, for a man to rule over Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica would be unwise, as he could not devote his time to all three and not be able to do his job justice. The defence of the isles is also important, and a governor cannot respond promptly and swiftly to a threat if he is on an island a few hundred miles away. Corsica and Sardinia are neighbours, and are thus easily managed and reached by a governor on either, but Sicily is a long sea journey away. This is my reasoning, and I think we should not be held back because our current system is adequate. We should not be drawn into a sense of complacency, but we should try to perfect our system, even if that ultimate goal is unattainable. That is why a separate province should be created
    Last edited by Junius; April 16, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
    Patron of Lysimachus

I agree with Senator Geganius.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Caius beats his cane on the ground which produced a surprisingly loud clap against the marble.

As censor it is my duty to ensure order is maintained. I will not tolerate personal insults on the Curia floor.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Ahenobarbus frowned a little before saying:

"I would say it be fairer that they were given peace without us exacting any tribute from them. But seeing that they have already expressed their consent to such an extra payment, then so be it. The main thing that is that peace has been established. And if it is said we are greedy... then at least it is greedy for the good of Rome, for the money does not go into private coffers, but into Rome's treasury anyway.

Consul Balbus, I would like to hear what you believe senator Geganius has wrongly altered in the 'guidelines of our predecessors'."

Well, our constitution states that a Proconusl is to receive 2 provinces. If I understood correctly, separating Sicily and the Islands into 2 provinces will grant Proconsul Crassus only Sicily to govern, giving him only 1 province, rather than the 2 that he is supposed to receive.

While I am doubtful about the uses of ignoring/ammending this law, I do agree with Geganius's points, and think it would be best to give an individual governor to both provinces.

Citizen

I think the law means that a Proconsul can govern two provinces, but does not say that he must do so. I don't see this as a problem, but maybe we can constitute the separated provinces, and place them under the control of the Proconsul, both of them, before opening them elections in the next season.
    Patron of Lysimachus

And why would be not place Corsica and Sardinia under control of Rome it self senators?
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator