Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    Senator Ahenobarbus i still stand with my previous statement it will exhaust our resources in a to high pace.
    It will not exhaust our resources, senator. We are putting all of this up for construction in one season. True, it will make a dent on our economy for the first one or two seasons, but after that, it shall be fine. 40,000 denarii is fully sufficient as a base with which to train troops and levy garrisons for a war.

However, if you insist, I can spread the whole plan over two seasons, which would minimise the impact of the money loss, though it would not please the builders and architects as much.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

OoC: You could run for both Quaestor and Aedile. You could win both, or win only one. So, if enough people were running, we would have more offices to get them involved with, and otherwise, we could 'combine' the offices.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

OOC: It's way too complicated and confusing and going to cause problems. Just wait, we'll have more people soon and we can discuss it then.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

I would support the plan of spreading it over two season senator Ahenobarbus. As for the builders and architects i do not care what thy will say my concern is the safety of the Republic and the soldiers pay when we need to levy extra legions for our defence.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

But we would only empty a third of our treasury, and that can be earned back in less than 2 seasons. The time we saved by doing this in one season will ensure that fewer time will be spent building these later.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I agree with the Consul, the money spent will flow once again into our treasury in a short time. The time lost by spreading the building out over a period of months is too much of a sacrafice for what the extra security we would receive holding on to those extra funds.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

That could be possible consul but my concern stay' s with the safety of the Republic. We need an extra amount for extra legions to pay if thy are needed.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

It takes an entire season to train even the most basic of troops. In an emergency, we would have to wait regardless. If we carry out the economic policy now, we will be able to train troops in a greater area much quicker than now. We will have gained in that aspect. By separating it into two seasons, we will only delay our military powers.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

I support the building plan.

I fully well support the plan Quaestor, I also believe that we will get that money back in 2 seasons as I predicted.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Good consul bring the building plan up to a vote.

I shared my concerns with the people of the house.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

I support the building plan as well.
    Fear not, Senator Postumus, as Senator Crescentius and Quaestor Ahenobarbus already have said, the treasury shall be replenished quickly.

I hope it will not come to a point that we will need to exhaust our resources senator Narses.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

I think no one is hoping for that, Senator Postumus.

I have seen the voting polls and it seems very unlikely that there is even the smallest chance that the nay-sayers would win. I suggest that we close the voting down, so we can continue with other business.

Is there someone to replace Senator Falco as Pontifex Maximus? Our good Senator Falco has relinquished the honour of serving as Pontiff because he is involved in a trial, he as the accused.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

And Postumus has stepped forward even as the position was still open. I simply assumed that Postumus was Pontifex Maximus by default, or is he somehow different from me (as I was slated to be pontiff by default).
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

"Dispatch from the Proconsul!"

Conscript Fathers,

Syracuse has fallen to our troops. It was a difficult fight, and their substantial defences were difficult to overcome, but once we were upon them, the rest was easy and they fell to our Roman steel.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I used two siege towers to launch a full-frontal assault on the enemy gatehouse. I sent our most expendable troops forward to push the towers, and waste the enemy's javelins. Among these units casualties were terrible, but they served us well.

After the towers were in place, our heavy infantry advanced upon the enemy walls.

We were soon fighting hand-to-hand on the walls.

Soon we captured the gatehouse, driving the enemy back.

After capturing the gatehouse and neutralising the enemy towers, we were able to move our slingers into a prime position and bombard them from outside.

As more enemy troops raced to the walls, we used our strong position to rain javelins and stones upon the enemy troops, driving them away.

Afterwards we began a push to the centre, surrounding and killing their last defenders.

The casualties were quite high (OOC: Screenshot didn't take for some reason, but we lost 208 men), but mostly to expendable troops. We are still very much in fighting shape. I did, again, sack the town, due to deep unrest despite our large garrison, and for reasons I shall now explain.

A carthaginian force has landed on the island. It is possible they intended to come to the aid of the defenders, but were too late. I will move out at once and engage this force.

In addition, the forces of Agrigentum have been marauding around Syracuse, causing much damage to the farmland. They too will need to be watched.

In short, I will in all probability have to leave a skeleton defence force in Syracuse to maintain public order. I have more than enough soldiers to deal with any problems that may arise.

In addition, our alliance with Macedon is sealed, and following the fall of Syracuse, a greek diplomat came to us begging for peace. What should I tell him?

Finally I submit a list of soldiers recruited and buildings constructed so far during my term as Proconsul. I think you will find that, owing to the fact we knew Sicily would become a target for all of our enemies, I took the opportunity to get the island onto a military footing and eliminate public order problems.

2 Subjugatio - 2 x 800
    2 Colonorium Deductio - 2 x 2400
    1 Praesidium - 4000

2 Units of Libyan Spearmen - 866

TOTAL: 11266

In all though, we are in good shape and should be able to handle ourselves. I ride now to battle the carthaginians.
    Last edited by Lord Kal; April 15, 2009 at 05:49 PM.

Well,at least they are smart enough to recognize that they cannot prevail against Rome. I say we accept, but ask for tribute from them. Whaetever amount the proconsul sees fit.

OOC: So, the greeks are all gone from the island now?

OOC: Yes, it's just Agrigentum left.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I for one applaud the Proconsul, and would accept a peace from the scattered Greek states. They can harm us no more.

I would also like to raise the matter of the division of provinces. I note that our Sicilian territories were to be put together with Corsica and Sardinia when they were conquered, but now that we own most of Sicily it does not seem prudent to put control of so much territory into the hands of one man. I propose the creation, upon the islands' capture, of the Province of Corsica et Sardinia, that will be put under the jurisdiction of a distinct promagistrate.

Let Sicilian affairs be dealt with on Sicily, and affairs of the isles be dealt with on the isles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I support peace witht he Greeks. We must repair the army quickly, the Carthaginians are obviously vying for control of the region as well and would like to take advantage of our weak state at the moment.