Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

Senators, I voiced concern last year about the unconditional pardonning of our proconsul. I argued that the Senate cannot pardon the Proconsul because the constitution makes clear that there is a separation between the justice system and the Senate. This has not been fixed, and with the Senate acknowledging that the Proconsul broke the law can only meant that we must recall him and make him answer for his crimes.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

To ensure that this matter is completed, let us not fall into discussion again, and let us put it into a vote.
    I shall personally bring it to vote, if the Consuls allow me.

I apologize for this haste, but I think we have more important matters to attend to, at first the building plan of the former Quaestor, who came up with the plan royally late.

For this to be a matter to be voted on, there would need to be sufficient discussion about it, you can thank Marcellus, who lies at the base of the Tarpeian rock, for that piece of legislation. As for the Quaestor's building plans, we will need to bring them up once more from the libraries

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Indeed, but Consul, we cannot fall back to a discussion already argued, can we?
    There was clearly very little objection against the pardon to Proconsul Crassus, and I do not think that we should therefore reopen discussion, unless some of us here have changed their mind about it...

Citizen

It does not matter how many objected or did not. If it conflicts with out law, I do not see how we can let it pass. The law is disspassionate, and we must abide by it, no matter if we like it or not. We are bound by the laws set down by our fathers, and what they laid down clearly points to the separation of the Senate and the courts. So, we must accept that, and therefore no act of the Senate can step over the jurisdiction on the courts. You have already seen fit to declare that Crassus was guilty of breaking our laws, so he must be punished. Punishment of the guilty is one of the most basic tennants of humanity, not even civilisaiton, for even the barbarians punish those who have broken their laws.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Then I suppose you will argue that this has been discussed as of last year, both the quaestor reports and the illegality of Crassus' actions?

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

From what my father has told me, was there not a motion passed at the end of the last term? Whereby the Proconsul's unauthorised capture of Messana was pardoned? If that has been passed, then there need by no more discussion on Proconsul Crassus' faults, unless it is a crime aside from capturing the city without Senate permission.

Citizen

What I am arguing is that such a move is illegal. There is no place in the constitution which allows for pardoning any man. The constitution also makes clear that the Senate cannot interfere with the justice system, which they have done.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Clearly, Senator Macerinus, our fathers who wrote down our sacred laws did not have to worry about the possible troubles that a province outside Italia can bring.

As I have said before during the past term, there are very little rules over the Proconsul of our provinces, for we did not have a Proconsul before short.
    Therefore, we should first implement and add rules and guidelines for the Proconsul which he must obey.
    Now, there is no strong case about this, for there are insufficient rules in the Constitution about such matters.

"Dispatch from the Proconsul!"
    Conscript Fathers,

We have been approached by a diplomat of Makedonia. The news is good. They wish to offer us an alliance, clearly with the league of the Koinon Hellenon in mind as a mutual foe. I think this would be very useful to us, as a war closer to home would keep Greek ships from our shores.

I ask the Senate's advice on what to do in this matter.

CAIVS FLAVIVS CRASSVS

Proconsul of Sicilia et Corsica
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

The censor enters the Curia.

Gentlemen, this meeting is now in session. I believe it would behoove the senate as a whole to see a report of both the financial and military situation initially.

We must also, taking into consideration this latest proposal from the Macedonians, take a vote as to whether we shall accept these terms. I myself think we should.

The Censor speaks wise words, we can ill afford to give up such an opportunity.

I propose the following:

Propositium De Macedonii

I. Rome shall enter into an alliance with the Kingdom of Macedon

Crusades

In war, allies are not easy to come by. We must accept this offer, and I support the Consul's motion.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

After a long period of thought, Falco prepares to stand up. His knees crack almost silently, and he moans slightly as he stands up.

"I shall be Pontifex Maximus, but I will only become it if no Senator brings up charges against me for consulting the Sibylline Books. I will not put myself forward if any of you announce your intention to charge me with anything. I will not think worse of any of you, whether you charge me or not, or whether you vote for me or not.

However, if you choose not to charge me now, I respectfully ask that you do not charge me in a year's time. I consider it very bad form to charge a man for a perceived crime commited two years earlier. I cannot legally prevent you from charging me then - or now for that matter - but consider this a Gentleman's request to all of you, for your consideration, Senators."
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Falco, I personally consider the charges brought against your to be bogus and a complete waste of time. Many of you know that if I thought otherwise I would pursue justice at any cost.

Ahenobarbus turns to Falco, and speaks:

"Falco, I am unsure of events regarding the Sibylline books in the previous year, but as a brother-in-law, I have heard well of you, and if you indeed did consult the books without Senatorial permission, I would believe that you had done it for the good of Rome. Having been elected the highest priest in Rome, Rome had chosen you to take care of religious matters. If her people cannot accept the decisions that their high priest makes, then why would they elect you?

In this, brother, I am with you."

I seem to recall the condition on which Falco would be persecuted. Earlier last term, I had called out Macerinus on his blasphemous statements of rejecting the gods' will. I called for him to enter court. Yet, he insists on dragging Falco down with him. He continuously insisted that Falco's actions were illegal, and drew the attention of Cato, who wished to press charges.

However.

When he had come into court, I was in the process of discussing the preparations of the case with Balbus. Seeing as I was the one who had accused him of coming to court, it hardly seemed fair for a sitting praetor to be the accusator.

I have decided to drop my case against him, and that removes the final condition on which Cato could persecute Falco. There should be no problem should Falco be appointed suffectus Pontiff

Crusades

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

"Perfect!" Celsus exclaimed. "I can't see anyone else volunteering for the office of Quaestor and High Pontiff, so I guess these fine men can be called magistrates...?

Celsus gazed at Falco with a troubled look. He then leaned over to him and whispered.

"Senator; you look... a bit... wasted... Is there anything wrong?"

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Falco's face shows a tired smile.

"Worry not, my friend. I am only a bit... melancholy, if you will. Blame the dark, cold winter months, and the tension of politics. When spring comes I shall be able to recharge, so to speak."
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Only a fool would decline an alliance with Makedon in these times we are in.

As Senator Celsus said, I am sure that there are no objections on the appointment of Senator Falco as the Pontifex Maximus and Senator Ahenobrabus as Quaestor. This is settled then?

Now, is there any clearance about the building plans of the former Quaestor? I cannot quite recall that we ever brought it to a vote.