Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

"Dispatch from the Proconsul!"

Conscript Fathers,

The carthaginian force has been defeated, losses to our own forces are minor. In addition, peace with the Greek cities has been sealed. But I must bring a word of warning.

The Greeks were very eager to accept peace, and the Macedonians were very eager to accept an alliance. Now the Greeks have allied with the Illyrians, who have become a powerful kingdom since the collapse of Epirus. A war is being waged for control of Greece, and once the conquest is complete, the victor, then with many soldiers and rich from conquest and plunder, with the whole of Greece at his disposal, may look west for his next conquest. Failing that, the tumult in their homeland could cause the vast eastern Greek Seleucid Empire to gaze in our direction.

We must monitor the situation. I suggest we send spies and diplomats to Greece to assess the situation. We cannot allow another Carthage to rise so close to home.
    OOC: Great news! Once again I look in my 'tgas' folder to find sod all there. I'm afraid I have no pictures. I'll upload the save in the save thread.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

After hearing the decision of Censor Scipio, naming Senator Falco Princeps Senatus, Narses jumped up and started clapping, clearly agreeing with this wonderful honour.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

OOC: You should just use Fraps, much more reliable.

Congratulations, Falco, my dear brother. You are an honour to the Lucretii and Domitii!

As for the Proconsul's warning, it is adamant that we heed it. Greece has long been a divided place, once full of city states vying for power, united under Phillip and Alexander, but with the latter's death, has fallen into chaos and division once again. Depending on whoever wins the war, consequences on the Republic could be dire. We must act with the utmost caution in dealing with any matters regarding the near East from now on.

After hearing the Censor's announcement, Herrenius spoke,

"Censor, I must say I think that senator Falco is a good man, and, in my opinion, a Roman to admire, but he was not only accused, he was found guilty. This shows that even a great Roman is bound to make mistakes. If you wish to name him Princeps Senatus, I have no objection - not that it matters - but to claim that he did not make the mistakes he clearly did, and to imply that his prosecution and punishment are not the result of justice in the Roman law, but the product of lies and false accusations, that, senator, I cannot tolerate.

To say such a thing is to claim that praetor Celsus is nothing but a fool who has put the now first, and best, man in Rome under an unfair punishment! To imply that is to challenge the legitimity of the trial, one that was certainly unbiased and based on the truth!"

---

On the topic of the war in Greece, I say that as Romans we are bound to aid those who we call friends, and if the Macedonias are to request our help in the war, we should certainly aid them. For now, though, we should send spies and diplomats, as Crassus has suggested.
    Last edited by Ozy; April 17, 2009 at 08:47 PM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I am concerned. I fear that this alliance with the Macedonian Kingdom will draw us into a war in Greece. Rome has no business interfering in Greece, but now that we are entangled in alliance it may be unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

My decision is not made to spite any respectable Roman among us, but to honor a man that has shown true temperance and moral virtue. This is an undeniable fact. I hold that the accusation brought against Falco were unfair and merely an attempt to undermine a fellow's political career.

But how can they be unfair when he was found guilty beyond any reasonable doubt, by an appointed Roman Praetor? The acussation were legitimate, as was the trial, and the sentence, and to claim the opposite is to claim that the Praetor, Celsus, has been an unfair judge, and has punished an innocent man.

Such a claim would mean that something has been done wrong with the trial, something of which you have no proof of.
    Last edited by Ozy; April 17, 2009 at 11:58 PM.

I reject the Praetor's findings as utter cow excrement, Spurius, that is how. I believe the system was manipulated unfairly to Falco's disadvantage. The crimes of which he was convicted are petty, if anything, and wildly unsupported. In my days in the court a ruling that weak never would have been handed down.

Herrenius chuckled. "The man who sentenced 4 men to death with nothing but a doubtful testimony talks about unsupported crimes and unfair trials", he thought.

"You believe...but senator, where is proof of that? Falco did order for the Sibylline Books to be read without authorization from the senate, did he not? The whole house witnessed it, an undeniable fact. To do such a thing, is an illegal action, is it not? The Senate is the only authority with power to authorize that action, and to overrun it is a crime.

Tell me senator, how are the Praetor's findings questionable? Furthermore, how was the system been manipulated? Senator Celsus, as many others, holds senator Falco in high esteem, something that cannot be said about the person who presented the charges...yet, the defendant was found guilty. Both parties were given equal chance to present their arguments, debate and try to refute the others points, a completely fair Roman trial. Where is your proof of such claims? The words you are saying are heavy acussations, that should be supported by heavy evidence.
    Last edited by Ozy; April 18, 2009 at 12:21 AM.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Order, lets stop this bickering about Falco. He is a guilty man. honourable or not, right or wrong, he broke our laws. And I think I speak for the house when I implore the Censor to show the humility of his position and apologise to the praetor Celsus for daring to insult the findings of the case. If I were Censor I would censure such a man who did insult a great senator and our great system of justice.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

"I am honoured, Censor, that out of these hundreds (ooc: dozens ) of senators you would find me the man most worthy of the position of Princeps Senatus. I simply do my part, and what I feel is right.

There is however one man in these halls who not only holds himself to Roman virtues, but holds others to their actions as well. He sees injustice and acts against it, he is an example for Romans to follow. He is our collective conscience,senators. Many of you will not like who I shall point out, but it is the truth! I speak of senator Macerinus, a man who may not be liked, but who does a very important job in these Halls."

Falco bows humbly to Macerinus and applauds.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Macerinus receives the applause and bows graciously back at the Princeps Senatus.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

Narses chuckled upon hearing the words of Falco about Macerinus, and then stood up.

May not be liked, there, that truth I applaud!

Narses clapped sarcastically, with a grin on his face.

But Senator Falco, you again show the honour you are known for by now, even though your honour, compliments and supporting words are sometimes misplaced...

He walked away from his seat, and headed for the door.

Forgive me, Senators, I will head out for a while, I can make more of a difference on the streets than here, if all what we do is bickering about cases long past and choosing a Princeps Senatus, instead of doing what is truly important.

After these words, he stepped out, and threw the door shut behind him.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus held his head in his hands, aching from this bickering.

"Senators... Let us think about what the ProConsul has messaged. We are at peace with all but Carthage now. What shall be our next move? Malta? Agrigentum?"

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

May I remind the House that Agrigentum is a free settlement. We have no evidence of them ever having consorted with the Greeks or the Carthaginians.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Caius stifles a smile.

Very well, let's continue. Our proconsul has just won a great victory, but now we need to determine what is to become of the conquered territory and remaining free cities.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

We have no business to mingle in affairs of free cities senators, there is no proof of them helping the Greeks so thy should be left alone.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

"I of course agree with you, Senator Sextius, but may I quote from one of the Proconsuls dispatches:

In addition, the forces of Agrigentum have been marauding around Syracuse, causing much damage to the farmland. They too will need to be watched.
    Crassus doesn't always speak clearly so I don't know what that means - but if the Agrigentines are still pillaging land which is now ours - we must deal with the problem."

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I suggest we send a message indicating that the Proconsul can engage the Agrigentines on our land, but he can, under no circumstances prior to Senatorial approval, cross the border and take an aggresive stance when it comes to these free people.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

OOC: Argh! I knew i'd forgotten something! Really sorry about this guys, I didn't have the screenshots I took and totally forgot about it.

"A further dispatch from Sicily!"

Senators, grave news.

The army of Agrigentum is in our territory. They are skulking in the woods to the west of Syracuse. I believe, however, that they were already there before we conquered the territory, and so we should, as honourable men, give them a period in which to return to their own lands. I will be monitoring the situation and request the Senate's advice on this matter.

CAIVS FLAVIVS CRASSVS
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)