Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

Laocoon and his sons

MAGISTRATA IN ANNO 479 A.U.C.

(Magistrates in the year 479 ab urbe condite - 273 B.C.)

CONSULES
    GAIVS ATILIVS BALVS ET TVRNVS RVTVLVS SAEVVS

CENSOR
    LVCIVS SICINIVS SCIPIO

PONTIFEX MAXIMUS
    SEXTIVS VOLERO POSTVMVS

PRAETORES
    MARCVS JVLIVS CELSVS ET PVBLIVS POPILLIVS AGRICOLA

TRIBUNIS PLEBIS
    FLAVIVS TVLLIVS NARSES ET MARCVS CLAVDIVS CLARVS

QUAESTOR
    LVCIVS DOMITIVS AHENOBARBVS ALBINVS

---------

PROMAGISTRATA

PROCONSULES

CORSICA ET SICILIA
    CAIVS FLAVIVS CRASSVS
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; April 28, 2009 at 08:29 AM.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Balbus/Saevus

Marcus walks in and sits at the front row of the curia, once again a tribune of the people.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

ooc: can a mod sticky this?

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus strode in and took his old place in first row near the doors. A good year this will be, he thought. Positions are taken as needed.

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

Flavius Tullius Narses entered the Curia, and walked to one of the many open seats.
    He sat himself down next to his fellow Tribune for this term.

Good day, good colleague. Another term begins for us, yet again, dawn has arrived.

I hope that we can work together this term, fellow Tribune.

Indeed, i too wish for us to work together. For the benefit of the people and the republic.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Excellent choice of words, Tribune.

At least, we realise that the office of Tribune is for the People, and for them only. What would happen if personal gain would take over?

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Falco enters the Senate, takes his seat and sighs. He is tired.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Narses raises his hand at Senator Falco as a greeting.

As he lowered his hand, he wondered why Senator Falco had not gone for an office this term, for he was a wise Senator.

Senators, we have a problem among us. We have neither a Pontifex Maximus, nor do we have a Quaestor. This is troublesome, but not completely unable to be done with. I now open the floor for suffectus nominations.

Also, it has come to my attention that many of the previous quaestors' suggestions have not been carried out. Can someone reiterate those plans so that we may start the constructions?
    Last edited by chaplain118; April 13, 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Crusades

Narses rose out of his seat, and pointed to Senator Falco.

For the office of Pontifex Maximus, I nominate Senator Marcus Lucretius Falco!

He has done a great job as our Great Pontiff the previous term, and I wish that his succes as this position runs for a term longer.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

A senator climbed slowly up the steps of the Curia. He was tall, well built, had a head of light gold hair, and a small beard tinged with red. His eyes were grey, cold and depthless. His skin was wite as marble, almost unnatural. As he stood before the doors, his body silhouetted against the light of the morning sun, he looked almost exactly like one elderly senator who had just departed. Some of the senators in the Curia began to mutter and others looked surprised.

But this was not Marcus Domitius Ahenobarbus Agelastus. This was his son, Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus Albinus, aged 31, taking up the mantle of his esteeemed father.

Narses, still standing, saw the almost magical appearance of his new and young colleague, the son of a man, a legend amongst Senators and citizens alike.

He walked up to the man, and shook his hand.

Greetings and welcome, Lucius Domitius, or should I say Senator Ahenobarbus?
    I am sure that you will be as good a Senator as your skin is white, young colleague.

In fact, you could not have come at a more appropriate time, we are still searching for an able Quaestor.
    Would you take up this honour, it would be such a good launch of your career.

Celsus stared at the boy. He blinked. Macerinus was right after all! Someone goes, another comes in his place. And in this case a good man, surely. However, Celsus pointed out, I am not too happy to see the Tribune geting so close to the young man. Celsus greeted the boy and indicated to the seat next to him.

"Come on, Senator Narses, let him speak!"

Can I not greet a man how I see fit? Can I not welcome him? There is very much time here to talk about everything, sometimes even too long.

Narses walked away, and sat down again next to his fellow Tribune.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus Albinus smiles, something very different to his father.

Senators, I am most pleased and delighted with the welcome you have given me. As you know, my father has decided to retire from a political life, and has departed to the Neapolitan coast with my mother. Though he will be often back in Rome, he has left me with all his assets, clients and resources on which to build my senatorial career. He asks me to tell you that if at any time, Rome needs his assistance, he shall be there to give it. Do not think he has forsaken the Republic.

As for my start to senatorial life, I would be most happy to accept a commission as Quaestor. I am sure that it will help me immensely in getting to know the ways of the Senate, and understanding my new obligations and position.

Celsus flinched at Narses' reaction. He listened to the boy's words with intent. So! Ahenobarbus was both rich and smart. Has his food chewed for him too, diving into Quaestorship the moment he enters the halls. This man can be dangerous if on the wrong side. Celsus's mind raced. That's it. He must be on the right side, then.

I am sure that your father has passed all his knowledge of the Republic to you as well?

Marcus eyed the new Ahenobarbus but his face did not reveal any particular emotion, it was after all the way of life for the young to transcend the old, as such he did not mind new and young senators coming into the Curia, so long as their ambitions were right, and they were willing to learn they could be nothing but an asset to the Republic.

I will open a list for further nominations of our unfilled offices. Do hurry and nominate, our Republic depends upon it.

Crusades

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast