Thread: How long did it actually take to build a Vauban Star Fortress?

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

Default How long did it actually take to build a Vauban Star Fortress?

How long did it actually take to build a Vauban Star Fortress?

In the game it takes around 2-3 years (4-6 turns) - forgive me for being doubtful, but I couldn't find anything about build times.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Default Re: How long did it actually take to build a Vauban Star Fortress?

Probably around the same time in the game. Remember your upgrading your already existing fort, so its not like your tearing it down then building new one.

Edit: Also I found this on Wikipedia:
    "Due to the massive expense of constructing these new fortifications, they were often improvised from earlier defenses.
    " Also they were very expensive, so maybe that lengthened the time it took to build them?
    Last edited by Anda02; April 13, 2009 at 01:06 PM.

From start to finish, the fortification of a city could take 5-20 years with periodic additions being added on forever.

TeutonicKnight's Avatar Miles

From everything I've read, I think it's highly unusual for a star fort to built from scratch. Anywhere that was worth defending usually already had some sort of existing fortification, and that would be upgraded and become part of the new construction.

I'm not sure there were any star forts built exactly like what we see in the game. We just have an idealized version to play with.
    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl."

~Frederick the Great

Vauban did build star fort ex nihilo, but they were more exactly fortified cities, rather than just a fort. The constructions only took a few years.

However, these creations were rare (and quite expensive), usually he would just reinforce existing fortifications.