Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very low fps in Commander edition

Default Very low fps in Commander edition

First i wanna thank you for creating this mod, its add a lot of fun and realism to the game.
    Im having an issue with big battles (5000+ army), the fps drops to 5 - 10 and stay there all the way long in the battle, my settings are all at medium and unit size in ultra, my specs are Phenom X4 9850 , radeon X1900XT 512mb, 2gb ram.
    Maybe my system is too old or there is something i can do to increase the frame rate?

Laoch's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Very low fps in Commander edition

You're system isn't good enough to handle that Unit size. Unit size is the biggest FPS killer in ETW and all TW games. With the commander edition being so resource intensive it takes an amazing PC to run it.
    My System:

Asus P5Q Mainboard
    Q9450 CPU
    8 gig DDR2 RAM
    Gainward GTX 295
    750W Corsair Power Supply
    24' Samsung Monitor 1920x1200

Ill try the Large or Medium size
    Thanks for the advice!

wow good thing someone opened up a thread like this.
    i am considering to buy a new rig next month and i am still undecided for which specs i will aim for.
    since the main reason for me buying the new rig is the commander edition (no joke i saw some battles with ultra unit sizes and man i was pretty unhappy when i came back to my 120 men line inf haha ...) i would be thankful if you guys playing with commander edition would tell us what your specs are and what settings you use. please

(and congratulations, darth. you just made etw a system seller with your mod haha)

nevermind, i just found the other thread directly above. :p
    Last edited by Angroth; April 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Laoch's Avatar Semisalis

My signature tell you what my system I use for it and it pushes my system to its limits so depending on what setting you want to run the game on I would suggest it be pretty powerful.
    My System:

Asus P5Q Mainboard
    Q9450 CPU
    8 gig DDR2 RAM
    Gainward GTX 295
    750W Corsair Power Supply
    24' Samsung Monitor 1920x1200

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

I suspect it would be a lot easier for many people to play this at a good FPS if CA actually had the foresight to optimise the game for multi core processors...I cannot imagine why they didnt seeing as they promote the usage of the core i7...a multi core processor

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Just remember, if you want the best looking units, get a good video card, if you want the most units, get a good processor.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

yeah i know im not too inexperienced in putting together decent computers, but my last greater encounter with hardware is 2 years back and as you all know 2 years in development can feel like a century.
    and what does it mean your system is pushed to the limit laoch? do you have any fps count at hand?

o and i love your sig mango
    i“m on a boat!
    Last edited by Angroth; April 13, 2009 at 12:00 PM.

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Hi I play the Commander Edition plus the Smoke/Blood Mod and it pushes my rig to the limit - sometimes drop down to 10fps!!!!
    My spec: I play it on a 30" Apple screen - 2600/1600
    CPU - Q 9650 - OC to 4.2 Ghz
    Ram - 4 GB Corsair Dominator
    MB - Asus Rampage II Formula
    GPU - 2 x Nvidea GTX295 - in SLI - that's quad GPU!
    PS - 1200W Silverstone
    Sound card - Creative Platinum
    Hard disc - 2 x WD Raptor 300GB Raid 0
    CPU Cooler - Air "The True" Thermaltake
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32

I think some can not improve much more expect go to i960 up and X58 Mb.
    What I want to say also this system is at its limit - but okay I play as stated on 30" all details on ultra - It looks 'magnificent'.
    CA have probably not the best coding here, anyway its an awful game now Darth did it again.
    And yes I have implemented the additional RAM usage which is posted here which helps a lot - see in the technical help section.
    Last edited by Syntax; April 13, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

King Xiao's Avatar Senator

It depends on what your screen resolution is. For example, its gonna push a system to the limit if you have a 30 inch screen with 2600/1600. However, it will run alot smoother with the same specs when playing on a 15.4inch screen at 1400x900.

My system is very similar to Laoch's and I can tell you that commander edition is well worth the upgrade. A friend was watching in disbelief as I was flying around a 6K unit battle, stunned that it looked better than Crysis on his machine. One thing I can say is that you should heavily invest in the video card and at least get a GTX 275 or GTX 295 if you can spare $500. As for processor, get an i7 920.

My specs:
    Asus P5N-32 SLI Motherboard
    Intel Q9550 CPU
    4 Gigs DDR800 RAM
    Nvidia GTX 260 (need to go SLI after seeing some 10K unit battles)
    Corsair 850W PSU
    Gateway 24" at 1920 x 1200
    Windows 7 64bit

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Quote Originally Posted by King Xiao View Post
    It depends on what your screen resolution is. For example, its gonna push a system to the limit if you have a 30 inch screen with 2600/1600. However, it will run alot smoother with the same specs when playing on a 15.4inch screen at 1400x900.

That for sure - there is no doubt about that - I push to the limit - yes. Just wanted to explain that the game itself is quite system "hungry" and some should not expect high frame rates at my specs in that resolutions! - Its playable - and it looks brilliant! I love it as some is in the middle of the fight and the graphic is just that cool!
    Again thanks - Darth and CA for that experience.
    Last edited by Syntax; April 13, 2009 at 01:11 PM.

wow thank you all for your info.
    helps a lot!
    and yup i think i will keep mit 24" monitor i have now :p 1680*1050 as highest res is absolutely enough for me.

i was considering to go for an Intel Q9550 processor wise, and i would keep my current ati hd 4800 toxic for now. 4 gigs of ram will be necessary anyway i feel ... but i am already assuming my ati will be a weakpoint here but i can still upgrade that later on.

thank you again guys!

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

dont forget to set your processor priority to high as well,this will give you the advantage of more power from your current processpor focused on this application

I was really worried about this as well, but, ive been pleasantly surpised with this laptop (well, its not really a laptop - portable desk top would be more the word - far too large and heavy to use on your lap, perfect for on the coffee table infront of the tv!)

Ive got the unit sizes to ultra (with this new commander edition) and most of the settings near the top for the graphics (basically, all setting are the second highest except unit size which is highest)

PC:

Intel Core Duo T8300 2.4ghz
    4gig ram
    512meg geforce 9500M

all on a 19 inch widescreen running at 1920 by 1080

and ive found it smooth as anything.

INFACT - I actually had more issues with vanilla..... go figure

computer technology is advancing fast and my pc hardly a year old is considered moderate quality compared to the new games coming out and the new computer systems.

Weird....wonder what settings I should use then with this rig of mine:

Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz O/C 4.3Ghz
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    512MB 4850 650Mhz O/C 710Mhz
    Win XP

Running at 1440x900, all settings at Ultra, AA x 4, AF x16. HDR, Haze on. Smoke + Blood Mod Lite.

Campaign Map has anything from 25 (scrolling) to 60 FPS (India) when stationary.

Battles have 1! (when scrolling around/zooming in) 25 FPS when looking normally and scrolling around a 10k soldier battle.

Definitely know that unit size is the factor, since I was getting much better FPS with normal versions....

Meh, I can live with the FPS, just would like some tweaking tips.

Cheers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyBoomerang View Post
    Haze on. Smoke + Blood Mod Lite.

Meh, I can live with the FPS, just would like some tweaking tips.

Cheers :-)
    My highlighting for emphasis....

im pretty damn certain thats what the problem is

I running at commander's editon with all setting on max at 1680x1050 with the following:
    E8500
    GTX 285
    8GB DDR2 800mhz RAM

It lags a little when I speed up time and it lags when a huge melee breaks out(I mean huge the only times I've had it lag is when 3k+ troops are meleeing at once)

@Maidel

Love Smoke Mod, don't think I could live without it ;p

I'll give it a go though with a battle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast