Thread: P2P programs

Okay ive been using ares for a while but lately its been giving me problems and i want to know what is the best alternative P2P program to download, so what P2p do you like?

Isn't this illegal?
    *dances in closed thread*

yes but i use it mainly to preview bands and see if i like them, i do buy cds to support bands i like.

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Yup expect to be warned for this, I think its against the rules. Sorry buddy but maybe you should read them.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Civitate

MyFriendPeter90.....When you open this thread to look at this response, look in the column on the right side of your screen. There are four p2p sites advertised. (well at least on my screen, anyway). Which is the best, I haven't the foggiest notion, but all of them are here advertising on the TWC site, which means they paid for the space, which means that this thread shouldn't be closed. How in heaven's name could they close a thread involving a subject (p2p), that other sites pay TWC to advertise?

BTW, I've had Kaaza for 3 years. Originally it was free, but I'm lead to believe that they now have a fee. I think I've been able to bypass the fee by never opting for an upgrade, (just a hunch). Kaaza has always been flawless for me, download wise. The quality of the sound varies greatly, which I suppose should be expected in a p2p situation.
    I'd rather be historically accurate, than be politically correct.

you could try warez, its nice but if you ask me ares has a better selection (warez dl faster)

Civitate

Ulp!!! Maybe I'm wrong about the source of the advertising. The top of the column says "Ads powered by Goooooogle" (yes, google with 6 o's). But the column sure looks like part of this site, rather than part of my search engine. Maybe an administrator has an answer...question being, are the ads placed by this site, or are they placed by my search engine? If TWC allowed the p2p ads, then you have no business closing this thread. If the p2p ads are here without your consent, then do what ya gotta do.

Civitate

There is nothing illegal about P2P programs.

Depending on how you use them, you could choose to partake in illegal actions. But simply because those options exist, does not make the programs illegal. That'd be like making cars illegal because some people choose to use them to transport drugs.

./rant

However. Warez is illegal. And I would not recommend speaking about it on this forum, assuming you value being able to come here.

And yes. The advertisements themselves are not controlled by the site. They are grabbed by Google's ad program based off of analyzed words inside the web page. Hence content-specific advertising.

Originally posted by Carolus XII@May 10 2005, 07:42 PM
    Ulp!!!* Maybe I'm wrong about the source of the advertising.* The top of the column says "Ads powered by Goooooogle" (yes, google with 6 o's).* But the column sure looks like part of this site, rather than part of my search engine.* Maybe an administrator has an answer...question being, are the ads placed by this site, or are they placed by my search engine?* If TWC allowed the p2p ads, then you have no business closing this thread.* If the p2p ads are here without your consent, then do what ya gotta do.
    The Google ads are placed by the engine. If you've ever noticed, the ads are, usually, pertaining to the topic. I think it designates ads according to keywords it matches up with. For example, if you make a topic about shampoo and shower gel, chances are those words will be spelt correctly (hopefully) in the title and throughout the topic and you'll see ads for shampoo and shower gel. Or, if you go into the God vs. Godless forums and topics, you'll see a bunch of ads regarding creationism, the bible, etc..

Civitate

Danny5...So does TWC recieve any income from these "subject sensitive" ads? Does Ogre's Network? (I just noticed the copyright at the bottom of the page). If either is true, then I don't see how this thread could not continue, yet at least 2 of the posters seem a little paranoid about the subject.

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

How in heaven's name could they close a thread involving a subject (p2p), that other sites pay TWC to advertise?
    Oh then excuse me, I know far less of the rules than you do. If it is allright then I see nothing wrong with it. (redundant sentence)]

Edit> I did see a person warned for talking about P2P services, but perhaps this was because he or she used a direct reference of an illegal file on it.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

On topic, I think that bittorrent is the best one. it is extremely fast because everyone have to upload. When I download linux with it it goes at 200+ KB/sec. that is unmatched by any other network.