Darthmod Commanders Edition
    -Ultra unit size
    -Hard Campaign
    -Medium Battle
    -4 Turns per year
    -Prussia
    -Starting Winter 1716, ending with the conquest of Russia and Poland

Coming soon, the full sitrep!
    Last edited by Santini; April 15, 2009 at 08:11 AM.

Default Re: [DMCom] Lightning War in the East

The Lightning War in the East:
    Prussian AAR, Winter 1716:

After near 20 years of ceaseless war, beset on all sides by foes all to eager to greedily snatch up good Prussian soil, an uneasy peace has settled over central Europe. To the west, the stalwart Prussian ally, Hanover, fights a slow war with the English across the sea, while to the south and to the east, a terrible storm brews.

The Austrian empire, stung by a quick series of defeats, both on Austrian territory and during the Bavarian conflict (1709), and during the Siege of Wuttenburg (Summer, 1711), was brought to the table at the Brandenburg Conference (1712), and bullied into signing a highly disfavorable cease fire, with Austrian territory remaining in Prussian hands.

It was at the very same conference that brokered peace between Austria that the Polish representative, stunned at his dismissal from the negotiations, announced open warfare between Poland and Prussia. The cunning Poles had station two large armies at the very borders of Eastern Prussia, and very nearly captured Konigsberg before being driven south, and encircled and destroyed at the Battle for Warsaw (1714). While Poland was quickly brought to the table, handing over sovereignty of all Prussian territory, and Warsaw to boot, their eastern Ally, the Russians, refused to make truce, or even attend the negotiations.

Three years have passed, with the Prussian treasury not only lowering taxes to hitherto unheard of levels, to stimulate growth, but pouring money and research into all manner of industry in the Prussian heartlands. Increscent Russian raids, filtering unchecked through Poland, across the border, and then back to the supposed safety of Polish territory, have left vast swaths of destruction east of Konigsberg, and raids have reached as far as Warsaw itself.

The situation is dire. While industry has lent incredible momentum to the Prussian economy, an increasingly unruly Austria to the south poses a threat too strong for the current state of readiness of the Prussian military. As such, it is the opinion of the General Staff that the only hope is a lighting war in the east, bringing Poland and Russia to their knees, and allowing for undivided attention on the long and uneasy border with the super power Austria.
    Last edited by Santini; April 13, 2009 at 02:27 AM.

Default Re: [DMCom] Lightning War in the East (1717-17--)

Diplomatic Map:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Briefing: ArmeeGruppe Nord, ArmeeGruppe Sud

The invasion of Poland and Russia, henceforth to be known as Case Blue, is to be conducted predominantly with the First and Second Prussian ArmeeGruppe, with additional newly enlisted formations following in their wake.

Two ArmeeGruppe seem far too small a force to conduct such an attack, let alone hold down the captured territories, but that plays directly into the General Staff's hands. First and Second Army Groups will be striking deep into Polish and Russian territory, sacking region capitals and smashing any forces in their way. However, rather than halting for rest and occupation, both forces will continue to strike east, aiming for Moscow.

It is well neigh certian that in their wakes, both Army Groups will leave a country side teeming with rebelion. It is anticipated that after the intial slaughter, any poles with spunk left alive will join in rebellion, allowing the auxilery forces following Army Group I and II to conduct cleansing operations in the newly liberated territories.

Speed is the key to success, and both Army Groups are built to the exacting specifiycations of the General Staff, and already warhardened.

Army Group I, North, led by the young Wendel Eckermann, has fought and triumphed over Polish armys on three separate occasions. Also, AG I. was responsible for the capture of Warsaw.

Army Group II, South, is led by the rather more conservative Ernst Liebniz, an intelligent and quickwitted man whoes reputation remains tainted by a dark incident at the Siege of Wuttenberg.
    AG. II. has a mixed reputation in combat, and a terrifying reputation off the field.
    The regiments of AG II accrued considerable experience in the wars in the west, as well as a taste for loot and rapine pillage.

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

darth mod does that?
    good aar btw.
    Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!

Orko's Avatar Praeses

good AAR!
    keep it coming
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Infiltrators across the border have indicated that the road network to the south of Minsk is insufficient to support a northern thrust from Armee Gruppe II, making the capture Lvow and Kiev necessary to supply a northward drive on Moscow. Clearly impposible for even the most hardened of Prussian army groups.

As such, Gruppe II has been shifted to the north, and a new battle plan drafted. The revised Case Blue envisions a two gruppe eastern thrust, contained predominatly to the primitive Polish and Russian road networks. New enlistments will then be used to both put down Polish uprisings and secure both flanks.

Orders have been drafted and issued, and with the melt of the snow comes the cross border invasion.

Thanks a bunch!
    I'm about the play the spring turn, hopefully I'll bring good news from the front!

Default Re: [ETW/DM AAR] Lightning War in the East (1717-17--)

The Spring Offensive, 1717:

Great and grave news reaches Berlin from the front: Vilnius has fallen, and in it's ruins, the commander of AG I, Wendel Eckermann. Struck a deadly blow by a lowly Polish militia men in the headlong route and pursuit at the gates of Vilnius, he died as he lived, with sword in hand and gunpowder in his lungs.

After a brief ceremony and a thorough looting, a new man has been appointed, a former officer of the Hussars, Bartholomaus.

With barely a pause, the drive resumes, eastward, to Moscow!

Grave news from the treasury!
    Despite the huge levy of taxes imposed beginning 1715, the Royal Coffers are unable to both fund new enlistment and reinforcement of the units currently in contact!

AG I has been advised to slow it's advance, to allow the rather more intact AG II to overtake it. The first enlistment group, Klein Armee Gruppe I (KAG I), has nearly reached the former Polish border, and enlistment tickets have been issued for the formation of KAG II, raised from regions of Brandenburg and Savory.

As Case Blue continues to unfold, a number of constraints are beginning to make themselves felt to the General Staff. As the First and Second Army Group continue their relentless march through the summer heat towards Moscow, a number of Polish kampfgruppe have begun to take advantage of the huge gap between AG I. and II, and KAG I. Already the supply center of Vilnius has fallen back into their hands, and it is likely that Minsk too will fall in the winter...

Rather than initiate enlistment of KAG II, the General Staff has chosen to instead reinforce AG I and II, a potentially fateful decision given to total collapse of cohesion behind the spearheads, and the slowing advance in the face of worsening weather conditions.

Advancing past Minsk, AG I runs head on into the largest Russian force seen thus far- over six thousand men, vs AG's four thousand.

Advancing in peicemeal fashion, the filthy Russian horde is met with volley after volley of disciplined fire, and as the first Regiments turn tail to flee, Prussian lancers spring on the flanks, and set flight the entire Slavic horde.

It is in the aftermath of the battle that word at last reaches Bartholomaus- the Polish forces way to the rear, rather than striking at Minsk, made a bold dive for Warsaw, and succeeded! Allready, KAG I has been issued marching orders, and the Line and Grenadier of KAG II enlisted at Konigsburg.

MOSCOW HAS FALLEN!

While AG I takes a much needed week long halt for resupply and pressganging, AG II leapfrogs past and engages the final Russian force between Berlin and Moscow.

Deploying with an unconventional concentration of cavalry in the left wing, once the Prussian and Slavic lines meet to exchange volleys, Dragoons, Lancers and Hussars of all sort pour into the exposed Russian left flank, and some eight thousand men are rolled up like a carpet. AG I once more leaps forward, taking Moscow in what is perhaps the most hollow victory in years. KAG I, it's hands full chasing around all manner of Polish detachments in the rear, is suckered south into the Warsaw region.

It is only then that yet another Polish force sacks Konigsburg in their absences.

It is in this act, by Frederik I's opinion, that the Poles demonstrate their unworthiness as a member of future Europa. Having razed all industry and buildings in Moscow and the surrounding regions, the Russian capital is traded in exchange for peace, allowing AG I and II to concentrate fully on the extermination of Poland.

While it is evident to every member of the General Staff that Case Blue failed to achieve its stated goals, much was learnt from the conduct of the campaign, lessons that will very likely see application in the West.

The central lesson was avoid over concentration. While AG I and II were between the both of them more than capable of blowing through stack after stack of Russians and Poles, KAG I was utterly incapable of conducting proper mop up in the rear areas.

As such, the board of the General Staff recommends the following reorganization:

1 Schwer Armee Gruppe, formed from AG I. Consiting of 6 units line infantry, 3 units grenadier, 4 units foot artillery, 1 unit horse artillery, 1 unit howitzers, 2 units lancers, 1 general's bodyguard, 2 unit Hussar
    -20 units total

2 Mittle Armee Gruppe, formed from AG II and KAG I.
    Both consisting of 4 units line infantry, 2 units grenadier, 2 units foot artillery, 1 unit horse artillery, 1 unit Hussar, 1 unit lancers, 1 General's Body Guard
    -12 units total

>4 Licht Armee Gruppe, to be newly enlisted:
    3 units line infantry, 1 unit Grenadier, 2 unit foot artillery, 1 unit dragoon, 1 body guard
    -8 units total

It is hoped that the new OOB, when fulfilled, will permit the Prussian Landwehr simultanious offensive, defensive and occupational ability.

1718: Moping up Poland:
    The next four seasons were run like clockwork. With the entirety of the treasury directed at maintaining force effectiveness in AG I, II and KAG I, all 3 armee gruppe were capable of cooperating to insure total destruction of the Polish forces.

KAG I (Yellow) First struck east to recapture Vilnius. With the roads cleared, AG I (Black) linked up with KAG I for a joint drive against Warsaw, while AG II struck south with the intent of blocking reinforcement. After the siege of Warsaw, KAG I turned round and cleared the entirety of the northern flank while AG I liberated Lvow.

With most of Poland in Prussian hands, Moscow's industries stripped and the Polish army in the gutter, Frederik I decided in a moment of compassion to grant the Poles peace for a mere 5000 gold.

With the threat in the east considerably dampened, Prussia attention turns south.

Default [ETW/DM AAR] Prussia Uber Alles, Chapter 2: Frederik Turns South (1719-17--)

In continuation of my PUA AAR, here comes chapter 2!
    Just to get the juices flowing, here's some post Case Blue analysis:

Each axis of red lines indicates that the General Staff observed 25% reduction in infrastructure.

The area around the city of Warsaw, which exchanged hands on no less then 4 different occasions, was by and far the most devastated, with upwards of 90% of infrastructure, farms and industry destroyed.

Konigsburg, captured once by the foul Poles, likewise suffered serious damage to infrastructure, on the order of 70%.

Frederik I has dedicated the sum of 3,000 gold quarterly to the reconstruction of the Eastern Regions, and awaits the yearly finances from the General Staff.
    Last edited by Santini; April 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM.

Default Re: [ETW/DM AAR] Prussia Uber Alles, Chapter 2: The Peace Time Years (1719-17--)

Considering how short the first thread is, it'd probably be a lot smarter to keep it all in one thread.
    "And when I danced I danced alone;
    But then I did not dance because I was alone;
    So I did not dance"- Bill Bailey

Default Re: [ETW/DM AAR] Prussia Uber Alles, Chapter 2: The Peace Time Years (1719-17--)

Naw, this way it's divided up into campaigns/chapters. Also, this way if I get really busy I can wrap up a chapter and delay the release of the next, rather than have an entire AAR fall into disrepair

Default Re: [ETW/DM AAR] Prussia Uber Alles, Chapter 1: The Lightning War in the East (1717-1718) [Complete]

dude awsome aar this is exacly like one of the campains i had keep up the good work

thats prety smart

Default Re: [ETW/DM AAR] Prussia Uber Alles, Chapter 1: The Lightning War in the East (1717-1718) [Complete]

Thanks!
    It's been pretty interesting... I've yet to have peace for more than 9 months in a row, lol

Default Re: [ETW/DM AAR] Prussia Uber Alles, Chapter 2: Frederik Turns South (1719-17--)

By the beginning of 1720, the Prussian economy had started to recover. Textiles and metalworking, in conjunction with regional stability, worked together to smooth over the recovery process in Eastern Prussia, much aided by Frederick I’s copious donations from the treasury.

In addition, the General Staff used the respite to institute new doctrinal updates. AG I, now I SAG (First Heavy Army Group), was reformed and underwent summer exercises to test the new force compositions. AG II and KAG II, now split into II MAG and III MAG (Second Medium Army Group, Third Medium Army Group), also participated in the summer exercises, insuring an acceptable level of readiness.

From Konigsburg, two new Abwher Armee Gruppe were formed, light defensive units, intended for flank security and occupational duties. An addition two AAG’s are to be enlisted, thereby completing the General Staff’s OOB for 1720.

In response to a certain quantity of border skirmishing, a coalition formed around Austria has DOW'd the Prussian state, and all 5 Armee Gruppe are more than prepared to respond.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast