Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grenzers. The supermen of the battlefield?

S.P.Q.R. Praetorian's Avatar Vicarius

Default Grenzers. The supermen of the battlefield?

I am not sure if this is Darth or vanilla pack but it is quite a problem. I took an army of 1500 against about 300-400 grenzers that Austria had, and not only is their accuracy extremly deadly, but it only takes them 5 seconds to reload! They only lost 40 men, while I lost an entire army!

I fired up Pack Manager, and edited the reload to be lower in skill with less soldiers as well but when I start the game no changes have taken place(I edited the right lines). Do I need to edit darth pack or patch pack? Also, just to throw it out there, I cannot recruit grenzers in the campaign map.

Default Re: Grenzers. The supermen of the battlefield?

you'd need to edit the darth pack as its a mod pack and so loaded after any patch packs overwriting any changes made... i think (if my understanding of the modding system is right)

I know I am editing the right sections, but they never seem to change in game. I have done it several times and when I load the pack manager back up, the changes I made are still there, but not in the game.

Montano5's Avatar Libertus

I gave it a try with english skirmishers against them. Just to see, I made three units with 2 chevrons against 2 grenzers units with 5 chevrons. Hard level.

You're right, they're really powerfull. Their guns are more effective than expected but reload time is long (for me) as skirmishers have to be. And well, they skirmish, so you may try to come not too close to stick them with a unit while another one go on their back. Then go for melee.

At the end I used only two of my units on the three and I killed them more...

Darth may take a look at this unit stats to be sure, me I'm totally noob about moding, but they doen't seem so overpowered to me.

The problem is, that they only have to put the rod half way into the barrel(sometimes all the way down), but not more than once, and then they can fire again. And I fought them with guards and line infantry on easy!

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

it is possible that for the rifle units someone has been perversely influenced by the Sharpe series of movies,where it only seems to take them about 5 seconds to reload regardless of them saying it takes a full minute all the time..

Use long range light infantry and stay out of their reach or cavalry.

Except they quickly close up and shoot my men to pieces. I am not sure why they reload so fast. Their reloading skill seems to be about equal with all the other skirmishers, except they can reload near instant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    it is possible that for the rifle units someone has been perversely influenced by the Sharpe series of movies,where it only seems to take them about 5 seconds to reload regardless of them saying it takes a full minute all the time..
    not quite right, they say a good soldier can fire 3 shots a minute in sharpe's

Angel's Avatar Angeal

Simple philosophy here:

Light Infantry(Riflemen) own Heavy Infantry ( Line)
    Cavalry (Sword) own Light Infantry ( Riflemen )

It explains in there. Use tactics.
    Under the patronage of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Simple philosophy here:

Cant agree with that. Grenzers arent really elite units, they are successor units to the Pandurs.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenz_infantry

Grenzers (Slavs-Croatian/Serbian mix) were the successors to the irregular army of Pandurs, which were also raised as a militia by the Habsburgs in the 18th century to defend the border with the Ottomans and also used as skirmishers in the Seven Years' War. However, by the time of the Napoleonic Wars, troops from the Frontier were now formed into more regular line infantry regiments, but were considered by the Austrian generals as something between light and line infantry. They were given training in marksmanship, skirmishing and the basics of linear tactics

Rock, Paper, Scissors is one thing, but 5:1 odds, in favor of Line infantry, there's no way 300 Grenzers should totally decimate 1500 Line Infantry, unless the line infantry stand idle and arent firing, which was not the case in the OP's experience.

He did say the Grenzers were reloading extremely fast(around 5 to 10 seconds) which is physically impossible IRL, and not consistant with what you see from other skirmisher/light infantry troops in Vanilla, or Darthmod.
    Last edited by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus; April 12, 2009 at 10:43 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

To significantly change their reload time you have to edit the musket_double entry in the projectiles db file.

In darthmod it's already set at 20, which is the same as a normal matchlock musket. In the regular game it's set at 8, which is more than twice as fast. Are you sure you have Darthmod installed correctly?

Also when you change the number of men in a unit, it only effects newly created units in a campaign, already existing units won't change.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Angel's Avatar Angeal

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus View Post
    Cant agree with that. Grenzers arent really elite units, they are successor units to the Pandurs.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenz_infantry

Grenzers (Slavs-Croatian/Serbian mix) were the successors to the irregular army of Pandurs, which were also raised as a militia by the Habsburgs in the 18th century to defend the border with the Ottomans and also used as skirmishers in the Seven Years' War. However, by the time of the Napoleonic Wars, troops from the Frontier were now formed into more regular line infantry regiments, but were considered by the Austrian generals as something between light and line infantry. They were given training in marksmanship, skirmishing and the basics of linear tactics

Rock, Paper, Scissors is one thing, but 5:1 odds, in favor of Line infantry, there's no way 300 Grenzers should totally decimate 1500 Line Infantry, unless the line infantry stand idle and arent firing, which was not the case in the OP's experience.

He did say the Grenzers were reloading extremely fast(around 5 to 10 seconds) which is physically impossible IRL, and not consistant with what you see from other skirmisher/light infantry troops in Vanilla, or Darthmod.
    It may be a rock paper scissors concept, but it still works. If you want balance thats where it comes down do.
    I understand what he was saying, 300 men took out 1500 line infantry.

Now use the philosophy I said above. I take it Grenzers are Light Infantry? Make sense to me. I'll expect that loss. However 5-10 secs reload time is weird. I know Darth he must have a really good reason for something like that. Typo? Who knows. If I saw that 300 men are reloading 5-10 secs, and picking off my Line Infantry, I'll wont do a shoot battle, I'll either pull back and retreat or charge em. Simple process really.
    Under the patronage of Hader

Simple philosophy here:

They go the way of the Dodo bird as well.

It may be a rock paper scissors concept, but it still works. If you want balance thats where it comes down do.

Now use the philosophy I said above. I take it Grenzers are Light Infantry? Make sense to me. I'll expect that loss. However 5-10 secs reload time is weird. I know Darth he must have a really good reason for something like that. Typo? Who knows. If I saw that 300 men are reloading 5-10 secs, and picking off my Line Infantry, I'll wont do a shoot battle, I'll either pull back and retreat or charge em. Simple process really.
    It is very odd. The way I can confirm if Darth works is the line infantry have 110 range?

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

Why not just do a full bayonet charge with all those 1500 men? the grenzers would hardly stand a chance, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ftmch View Post
    Why not just do a full bayonet charge with all those 1500 men? the grenzers would hardly stand a chance, no?
    Exactly what I was thinking. Elite light infantry will obviously have the advantage at ranged combat, but run in with 1500 bayonets and the battle seems pretty one sided.
    When I was a kid, I used to wake up in my twin size bed and wonder where my brother was.

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

Yeah, Grenzers don't even have bayonets. Cavalry or bayonet charge would probably kill them easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftmch View Post
    I tried that and while most took the center and pushed them "out," the others regrouped to the side and shot my men while in melee. I just barely won the battle(on easy), while I had the much stronger force, consisting of guards and line infantry.

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by S.P.Q.R. Praetorian View Post
    I tried that and while most took the center and pushed them "out," the others regrouped to the side and shot my men while in melee. I just barely won the battle(on easy), while I had the much stronger force, consisting of guards and line infantry.
    Make sure you have men out on the side aswell next time then

God you're thick headed. He was reporting a possible bug with their RELOAD TIME, and you're spouting L2P nonsense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast