Thread: recommendations for the best Oblivion mods?

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default recommendations for the best Oblivion mods?

I have had Oblivion for years but havent played it for quite some time. I am guessing the mods I used to have installed would be outdated by now.

I installed Oblivion on a newer computer and will be able to run the best graphics now.

Planetelderscrolls and TESNexus seem to be the best sites for mods but I am not sure what to pick yet, so I am here to ask about others about their experiences with mods, favorites and such.

Might also be handy if I tell you all what I want to change with mods.

-better faces.
    The standard faces look ugly, I am not sure which mod I used to have for it but I would like the best improvement for this thats available.

-better female bodies.
    I want to see they are women, and I dont mind chainmail bikini's or such. The best thing would be to have a better shape for the women, and replacements for all armor and clothes as well to fit with this. I used to have Exnem better female bodies mod installed but something better may be available now.

-more armors and weapons.
    The standard amount is extremely limited and crawling through dungeons and ruins is not very rewarding because of this, everything looks the same. Best would be if additonal armor and weapons would appear just as random as the standard things, on bandits, in chests and in stores.
    I used to have Francesco's mod installed but that may be outdated now, and at the time the armors included werent compatible with the exnem better female bodies mod that I was using. Preferably I would like to see more clothes appear in stores, on bandits and such as well.

Furthermore overall improvements are always welcome.

Please note though that I am not looking for the most difficult game, so I am not looking for mods that make the game more difficult.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: recommendations for the best Oblivion mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    I have had Oblivion for years but havent played it for quite some time. I am guessing the mods I used to have installed would be outdated by now.

I installed Oblivion on a newer computer and will be able to run the best graphics now.

Planetelderscrolls and TESNexus seem to be the best sites for mods but I am not sure what to pick yet, so I am here to ask about others about their experiences with mods, favorites and such.

Might also be handy if I tell you all what I want to change with mods.

-better faces.
    The standard faces look ugly, I am not sure which mod I used to have for it but I would like the best improvement for this thats available. .
    Dev Akm's TOTO-page is the place to be, facial textures are under Character Textures. (I recommend TNR, which has changed all NPC's faces to a manually sculpted example)
    But check out the other categories as well, there's textures for many armours, items, clutter and most importantly for the entire world.
    In that last category I really recommend QTP3 Redimized, beautiful, yet hardly a strain on your videocard.

-better female bodies.
    I want to see they are women, and I dont mind chainmail bikini's or such. The best thing would be to have a better shape for the women, and replacements for all armor and clothes as well to fit with this. I used to have Exnem better female bodies mod installed but something better may be available now.
    Exnem's still the most popular, and many modders have made Exnem-versions of stock and modded armour.

-more armors and weapons.
    The standard amount is extremely limited and crawling through dungeons and ruins is not very rewarding because of this, everything looks the same. Best would be if additonal armor and weapons would appear just as random as the standard things, on bandits, in chests and in stores.
    I used to have Francesco's mod installed but that may be outdated now, and at the time the armors included werent compatible with the exnem better female bodies mod that I was using. Preferably I would like to see more clothes appear in stores, on bandits and such as well.
    There's dozens of armours and weapons out there.
    However OOO seems to be most used to get a nice amount of armours in the game (though it changes the entire game experience). There are also exnimized OOO add ons circulating.

Furthermore overall improvements are always welcome.

Please note though that I am not looking for the most difficult game, so I am not looking for mods that make the game more difficult
    I'd recommend FCOM actually, however it's a to install and the first 10 levels will be diffficult if venturing too far.

FCOM will give you new monsters, new weapons and armours, new quests,...
    And thanks to its modularity you can pick and choose what you want (for example to keep the monsters somewhat true to lore) and add any of dozens mods that Dev Akm, CorePC and the others have made FCOM compatible versions of.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Thanks, thats a lot of good info but I am a little lost on compatibility and all that. Its been a while since I have been playing Oblivion, and even longer since I added mods to it.

On TESNEXUS the HG Eyecandy body mod seems to be on the 5th place in the top 100. Would this one be better than Exnem?

At the moment TNR looks like something I want to have, but OOO has not convinced me yet. I found it on TESNEXUS but it has few screenshots and doesnt give any info at all about new armor and weapons, only a screenshot of one armor set. Its just telling me that it gets more difficult but nothing about armor and weapons.
    Last edited by Inhuman One; April 13, 2009 at 03:26 AM.

I decided to download the HG eyecandy body mod and appearantly many armor and clothes mods use Robert's males for the male version of the armors and clothing so I plan to get that one as well.

Now that I downloaded quite some clothing, armor and weapon mods, I do wonder how I can put it to use in the editor.

I have always had trouble with this in the past so I may as well ask about it.

How can I load up all the mods I use in the editor, be able to save it and load it all up again without errors and continue?

And how can I alter the content of stores?

And can the leveled list of items be altered somewhere? To add all kinds of downloaded stuff?

The only thing I manage to do with the editor is change the appearance and appearal of NPC's and the content of chests, and put some objects down.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Thanks, thats a lot of good info but I am a little lost on compatibility and all that. Its been a while since I have been playing Oblivion, and even longer since I added mods to it.
    Pure graphic mods shouldn't be too much of a compatibility problem, just make sure to read the readme's and incompatibility with most udes mods is usually mentioned.
    On TESNEXUS the HG Eyecandy body mod seems to be on the 5th place in the top 100. Would this one be better than Exnem?
    Haven't tried that one, I find it too plastic-like, and somewhat aimed at a sex-starved public
    While Exnem's is at least a bit more subtle.
    (tbh I'm not using a bodymod atm, then again i just reinstalled and have barely any mods installed)

At the moment TNR looks like something I want to have, but OOO has not convinced me yet. I found it on TESNEXUS but it has few screenshots and doesnt give any info at all about new armor and weapons, only a screenshot of one armor set. Its just telling me that it gets more difficult but nothing about armor and weapons.
    I posted a trailer a bit lower

Now that I downloaded quite some clothing, armor and weapon mods, I do wonder how I can put it to use in the editor.

I have always had trouble with this in the past so I may as well ask about it.

How can I load up all the mods I use in the editor, be able to save it and load it all up again without errors and continue?

And how can I alter the content of stores?

And can the leveled list of items be altered somewhere? To add all kinds of downloaded stuff?

The only thing I manage to do with the editor is change the appearance and appearal of NPC's and the content of chests, and put some objects down.
    Now all that stuff is possible, but for the love of me, I don't know how.

That's why OOO is so handy, it does all that for you and adds quests and all as well. But as it changes the entire game experience too, I can understand why you are hesitant to install it.
    Here's a trailer for OOO, should give you a better idea whet it all contains

(as an aside, it's been quite a while I've played and added mods to Oblivion, buy I have reinstalled it (partly because of you ) and should be getting the hang of it again)

A few other recommendations and personal favourites are :
    - Keychain : no cluttering of dozens of keys anymore, small but handy
    - Lost Spires: the best quest add-on imo, very professionally made compared to most others
    - Deadly reflex : Spices up combat with amputations and decapitations. Was relatively unpolished when I still played but it has been totally rewritten, and I am dnling it myself now.
    - A natural levelling mod that removes the need to sleep to gain a lvel and gives you a more organic levelling system: Kobus and nGCD are most popualr these days I think. I used to use nGCD as the other one wouldn't work for some reason but I don't like some of its recent changes and am dnling kobus instead to try it again.

There's loads more, but I'm having trouble remembering them all (and I accidentally deleted all my mods from my HD when I uninstalled Oblivion ages ago). If you look for anything in particular, just ask. I'll be trying out a lot of mods anyway.
    Last edited by Manco; April 15, 2009 at 06:31 AM.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Heh, well I wouldnt call myself sex starved or anything, but I do prefer a beautifull female form for my female characters, they dont need to be exagarated with an H cup, short skirts and deep cleavage, but they should definatly not be mistaken for men. I do think that female warriors should look a little rough, but I leave that up to the clothes and haircut.

Something like the Keychain looks like a good idea but I did read in the description about some issues with it. Are there other mods out there to improve the inventory though?

I have decided to not go with OOO for now, maybe later when I get bored with the content thats there now.
    Last edited by Inhuman One; April 15, 2009 at 03:20 PM.

mrcrusty's Avatar Primicerius

Don't forget Quarl's Texture Pack.

You may need a monster computer to get the full detail version working without lag, but it makes the game look several times better.

It's been a long time since I played Oblivion, but I also recommend getting Lost Spires.

There are also other mods like Choices & Consequences which revamps the Mages & Fighter's Guild to feel more complete (making it more difficult I guess)... well... stacks more mods out there... I guess. I've still got Oblivion installed, when I get home (at uni right now), I'll go through my mod list and see which ones are applicable to you.

As for editing shop contents: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki.../My_First_Shop

It's not editing shops already open, it's creating a new shop. But with a little reading I guess you can use it to edit the content of your current shops. (didn't read it so I wouldn't actually know).

thanks, that really helps me out a lot.

If you can also tell me how I could use and save all mods I have in the toolset to give more variety to shops, NPC's and such, that would be a great help.

I did notice that some overrides like an improved version of the fur armor do show themselves in the toolset, are there also mods out there that add completely new things to the list without requiring a plugin? that might work even better, then I can place the items myself somewhere.

I am having some trouble with hairmods. None of them seem to work together. Ren's mod seems popular but it seems to be mostly anime kind of hairs while I am looking for something suitable for all the standard races and their cultures. As it is I dont like about half the hairstyles. I did download a mod that improves them a bit but some styles look so badly that I change them to something else whenever I encounter them in the toolset.

The mohawk would look a lot better without the hair on the sides, most orc hairstyles are balding, and hairstyles like a cone and such are just rediculous. Are there mods that replace some of these poor hairstyles with something better, or mods that add more hairstyles available to the toolset without requiring a plugin? a simple bald hairstyle would even add a lot.
    Last edited by Inhuman One; April 18, 2009 at 12:19 PM.