Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Everything you ever wanted to know about banners!

Default Everything you ever wanted to know about banners!

OK...not the most earth-shattering of topics for a tutorial, but there were surprisingly few and sparse tutorials covering all aspects of this, ans I had to look in a lot of places to get it sorted, so I figured I would roll it all up into a single tutorial to save others the need to go looking everywhere!

In order to completely re-do banners, buttons and flags for a new faction there are many places to look and several files you will need to sort out. The only tools you will need for this is a trusty painting program ( I use Photoshop, but GIMP works just as well ) and a text editor. Notepad is fine, but I would recommend kicking it into touch and using notepad+ purely because it has a line-number facility!

Lets start with the banners on the strat map.

These are made up of 2 components. The basic colour of the flag, and the logo that sits on top. For my example, I am going to set up the Beast Master faction in my mod with a new set of banners and buttons.

First, we set the background colour. The faction I am replacing is Russia. All work should be done in a 'mod' folder, or else you will over-right the original files. I am assuming you know how to do that...and if you don't there are tutorials that show you how!

First, go to the DATA folderin your mod folder, and find a file called:

descr_sm_factions

Open the file, and search down until you get to the faction you want to change. The entry for Russia looks like this:

Code:
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

faction						russia
    culture						eastern_european
    religion					orthodox
    symbol						models_strat/symbol_russia.CAS
    rebel_symbol					models_strat/symbol_rebels.CAS
    primary_colour					red 12, green 30, blue 119
    secondary_colour				red 215, green 0, blue 0
    loading_logo					loading_screen/symbols/symbol128_russia.tga
    standard_index					17
    logo_index					FACTION_LOGO_RUSSIA
    small_logo_index				SMALL_FACTION_LOGO_RUSSIA
    triumph_value					5
    custom_battle_availability			yes
    can_sap						no
    prefers_naval_invasions				no
    can_have_princess				yes
    has_family_tree					yes

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    The important part for the background colour of the flag is highlighted in red. These are the RGB values for the colour. Now, for this faction, I want a nice bright crimson. So, after some tweaking around with the colour palette in Photoshop, I settle on this one:

The RGB values are outlined, and these are just copied in to the stratmap values in the text file. The new line would look like this:

Code:
    primary_colour					red 249, green 0, blue 59
    The end result looks like this:

Now, you will notice the logo on the banner is not changed, and also that the flags flying over the cities with no troops in them are very definitely not changed. We will attend to that next!

The logo we have chosen for our faction is basically a set of nasty jaws. Beast Masters can't have a fluffy bunny for a logo...that just wouldn't do!

Create a folder in your mod folder called 'models_strat'. Copy into that the 'textures' folder from your main game files. These contain the flags that show up over the city. The file for Russia is called "#banner_symbol_russia.tga'

The file is actually a .dds file extension, but when we make ours we MUST save it as just a tga file or it will not show up. Don't know why...it just is!
    When you look at the file you will see the main section, plus a 'pointed' bit at the bottom. This will appear on the END of the flag, not at the bottom. Make sure you save the alpha channel, as this is used to give the flag shape.

On the left is the stock image...on the right, our new one. We simply save it as the same name in TGA format with alpha channel, and we are done.

and in game, it looks like this:

Now, we just need to change the logo sitting on top of hte coloured start-map army banners. These are contained in a set of files found in the data/banners folder. Re-create this in your mod folder, and have a look at the files called symbols1 through to symbols8. Look for the logo that belongs to the faction you are replacing and open it in your chosen paint program. For Russia, it is symbol5.tga that we need to alter. You need to paste in the logo AND change it on the alpha texture as well. Once done, save your file as a TGA ...NOT .tga.dds. If you get this wrong, your file will just not show up. Save your file in the mod folder data/banner file, and there is your logo. Easy.

That completes the strat map banners.

Next job is to change the buttons and logos on the unit/faction selection screens.
    Last edited by Bwian; April 12, 2009 at 01:27 PM.

Default Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about banners!

The first button we will do is the main one in the faction selection screen.

Create a folder under your mod 'DATA' folder called 'MENU'. Inside the menu folder, copy in the 'symbol' folder which contains the various button folders from your stock screen. They come in 3 sizes

fe_symbols_80 - these are the large round shield logos.
    fe_buttons_24 - large buttons
    fe_buttons_48 - small buttons

First, we will do the large 80 symbol. You can either stick with a stock design of shield, or do your own. As long as it fits in the same size image as the stock one it will work fine. I stick with the stock shield shape for ease. I have kept the same colours and feel of the stock buttons. Starting with the stock shield, I paste in a piece of stock texture with wooden boards on. Over the top I lay a flat colour which I give an opacity of around 70% so the wood texture is just visible. Then the logo goes on top. Add some highlights, and the logo is ready. Save it as a tga file called, in this case 'russia.tga'

When you select 'russia' in the custom battles screen, you can see the new shield showing up. The other shields are the buttons ...button_48 ones on this screen. Once we change them, the rest will show up.

Repeat the same process with the 2 sets of buttons, but for each there are 4 different buttons that need to be done. Do the buttons_48 first, and you can then re-size your buttons to make the 'buttons_24' set. Saves a bit of time!

For button_48, there are four files for each faction. The 'basic' one and the 'roll' one are the same. There is a select one which is lighter and brighter, and a grey one. This can be made by grey-scaling the stock button. They are all identical sized, so you can do this by adding a new layer with the logo on that leaves the shield part uncovered. Copy and paste that onto the other shields. Add an extra highlight for the 'select' button and grey-scale. Flatten the images to a single layer and save. Job done. Your selection screens should now look like this:

button_24 are the small buttons on the left of the above menu, and these are changed in just the same way. Once we have done those, we are just about done.

In fact, there is only one place left to change logos and one more set of shields to change, and all is done! These are the ones that show up in the bottom right of the campaign and custom battle screens.

First, the custom battle screen. The large round logo for this one is found in the data/ui/faction_symbol folder. Each faction has it's own name, and all must be saved in .tga format. Change the logo and save in your mod fiolder again, keeping the same file structure. That takes care of that one.

If you look under the data/ui folder, you will find a set of culture specific files. Those for 'middle-eastern and southern-european contain a folder called 'interface'. In here you will find some image files with shield logos on. Look for the ones you need to change, and go for it! files 'stratpage02.tga' in the southern_european folder has the thing we need, so with a quick paste in of our shield logo, we are good to go.

You now have a complete set of faction logos. There are a few small logos on the 'sharedpage01' in both folders, which appear in the unit lists and at the end of a battle where a logo is displayed. These should be changed in an identical fashion.

Battle Banners:

There is still one element of banners that we have not covered. These are the ones that display over your units on the 3D battle map. Changing these is quite a simple matter, especially for those who have access to photoshop! B Ward has kindly made available a set of blank templates for the file you need to work on. They can be found here : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2066

For the rest, you will need to work from a stock one and build it up from there in your paint-program of choice.

The files that you need to change are found in the data/banners/texture folder. For the game to use them, they need to be in the .texture format, so you will need to get hold of hte tool to convert texture to dds and vice versa.

Each faction has a banner texture and a _trans texture. In this case, we are going to be looking for:

faction_banner_russia.texture
    faction_banner_russia_trans.texture

There is also a special banner for royal units, and this should be changed also. The template pack from B Ward also has this available as a blank.

royal_banner_russia.texture

The texture template for the banners looks like this:

There are lots of banners on here, and they are all used depending on the type of unit. The template layers tell you which is which, but ALL will need to be changed. I usually don't bother to change the poles for the standards, but these can be changed if you wish. I colour the background in a similar way to that shown above, giving the overall hue. Again, the fill and transparency effect allows the cloth textures to show through. The logo's can be laid on top of the flat colour. The large logo bottom right flies horizontally, so take that into account when adding the logo!

The finished set looks like this:

Save the image as a dds file, and convert this to a texture. Place it in the folder outlined above in your mod folder, and you have a re-designed banner. Repeat the identical process for the Royal Banner, and you have finished the last of the banners. The _trans version also needs to be done. From what I can gather, this is more for a glossiness effect than transparency. Transparency is dealt with by the alpha channel on the actual color. Complete the _trans to match your main texture. You can shortcut this by greyscaling your colour texture and lowering the brightness. Use a stock template as a guide for how dark it should look.

You can introduce unit variations for your different types of unit, but the above set does not have this. Keep a common theme or logo, so your unit looks like part of the army, but feel free tyo experiment to get an effect you like.
    Last edited by Bwian; April 18, 2009 at 03:54 PM.

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Nice!!
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

Nevada's Avatar Domesticus

Very nice work, Bwian.

oh man this is wonderful

Glad you guys like it I plan to do a few more of these as I go along. I remember how annoying it can be to look for tutorials and find that you have to read 4 or 5 just to fill in the gaps!

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Good tutorial as always. That shield in the top-left of the faction selection interface looks curious. What faction is that for?

Bwain these are beautiful you have skillz my friend

Thaks Druvatar

Augustus Lucifer ... those are some of the faction banners for my current mod, Curse of the Warpstorm. The one top left is the Brotherhood of the Pure, a faction of warrior monastic types on a quest to purify those tainted by the Warpstorm. Nice guys really.....

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

good work man.
    did you can to make Tutorial "how to change the banner in the battle" it will be great!
    +rep
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

Evyatar ....that's an easy one to add. I'll put it in to the tutorials above rather than adding an extra post where it might get lost

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

thank you man!
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

Photoshop won't let me open .dds files what can i do?

Google for photopshop dds plugin, and you end up with this link here:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/p...s_plugins.html

Download hte plugin and photoshop will be opening DDS files for you!

Whats the alpha texture?
    Last edited by miniwally; April 25, 2009 at 04:06 PM.

With alpha you can make object transparent.Black=invissible,white=vissible,grey=medium vissible
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    My Workshop™

Only in the M2TW engine, there is no grey....it's all black or white.

Seriously...there is a wonderful tool called 'Google' that should answer questions like that.

Oh,sry Im new in Medieval units modelling...
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    My Workshop™

very useful, thanks!
    for who's wondering, also region and border colors change when changing primary color in descr_sm_factions. ('cause I was wondering myself)
    cheers

jml322's Avatar Tiro
    Chicago, IL but, lived in Texas, Cali, and Az. Grandparents moved from Denmark.

Very nice and well put together..needed a updated one..good work.

JML322
    "Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory." George S. Patton

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast