Thread: Native Musket Cost?

Default Native Musket Cost?

It seems a good bit out of whack to me, since it's only 60 men (unless the card isn't accurate)

Default Re: Native Musket Cost?

Do you mean it feels too expensive or too cheap?

Too expensive. I've noticed a few units whose prices are way out of sync. I don't know if that's because I've implemented your mod onto a game I started in Vanilla though.

Oh, I see, the upkeep cost. I was looking at the recruitment cost

Essentially I was considering Native Auxiliaries tribal warriors that you pay to come and fight for you. That means that you wouldn't really have to equip or train them, just keep them going.

Yah, the upkeep.

Since 200 line are about 180, I would think that 60 natives would cost around 50 or so to maintain.

As Quixote said, they have high upkeep, low recruitment, due to the nature of the unit.

I can see how you think that, but I'm not convinced that really makes sense.

They are 'Tribal' Auxiliaries, after all. They're very unlikely to have access to European-style training facilities on their Plains, in their Rainforests, etc'.

On balance, however, I don't think you should change it. You shouldn't really be garrisoning your European Colonies with Native Auxs (sounds like a revolution waiting to happen to me), so keeping them comparatively expensive should mean you'll only really recruit them when you're looking to go fight some other Natives (which, of course, is what actually happened).

Coldfire, their recruitment cost isn't low - it's the same as Line Infantry, but their upkeep is 2.5 times as high.

360/60 = 6 per
    1200/200 = 6 per

Upkeep
    140/60 = 2.3 per
    180/200 = .9 per

Kindred, I believe that the issues with European-style training would be reflected in their stats - which are quite poor.

That was in response to...
    That means that you wouldn't really have to equip or train them, just keep them going.
    Yes, it would be reflected in the stats, but worse stats should translate to lower cost which, according to what you just said, isn't the case.

I agree. Reduce the recruitment cost even further. Drop the recruitment cost so it's the same as the upkeep. Why the Hell not? Proper mercs.

None of the other Mercs are recruit/upkeep that way.

I'd rather just see the upkeep brought down closer to a 1:1 ratio like all the other infantry units.

Yeah, but they ought to be. When you think about it, it probably makes more sense that way. It costs you a bunch to keep them (since they want paid over and above food, board, maintenance, etc'), but you don't need the initial outlay for training and equipping them, so it shouldn't cost you much more than they expect to be paid to retain their services in the first place.

I don't know if it would unbalance the game to have such easily purchasable troops though.

Senator

I think the upkeep price may be a bit low realy. Mercs would fight for who ever would pay the most for them, and these auxilery units are basicaly mercs. Also I think the acuracy on them should be a touch higher, the Indians were notoriously good marksmen. They should be at least on par with Euro style line infantry, they may not have had the formal training in how to shoot at the drill school but they did have hunting experiance sence they were old enuf to shoot and going hungry after missing the shot is good incentive to get better at shooting.

FYI - the Hessian Mercs that the Brits get, and the varied Mercs the French use are the same upkeep range as national line infantry.

Senator

I ment the Indian mercs. That screen shot only has them at 13 accuracy. If I recall the standard line have some thing on the order of 15.

Because they're light infantry, their 13 accuracy is, in fact, better than line infantry's 15 accuracy. They have much better long range accuracy, but they don't improve as much as range closes.

I'll tweak this cost in the next update.

Glad to hear it Quixote07. Tnx.