Thread: Retaking Buildings

Default Retaking Buildings

Lo all,

First time poster, longtime lurker.

Wondering if anyone else noticed this in IS, but since trying out the mod (which seems far more entertaining a few turns in) - it seems that the option to melee with garrisoned buildings doesnt always function. Am I missing something in the gameplay to know about? Have noticed it now twice when a building was fully garrisoned the option to occupy it is not available when my troops are set for melee.

Thanks for all the work on a great mod and getting ETW to where I am sure we all hope it gets too.

Cheers,
    -Koof

Default Re: Retaking Buildings

If the buildings cannot hold any more infantry (aka it is 260/260 or w/e) you can't storm it.

Hmm, thanks coz. Kinda what I was guessing, seems a bit of a bugged behavior though no? Any thoughts on the next best way to go after garrisons if they are outta artillery range? still early game so the cannon are fixed.

-Koof

notger's Avatar Decanus

Then you are stuck.
    You could try to reduce their garrison size by shooting at them and storm afterwards, though.

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by cozmoisme View Post
    If the buildings cannot hold any more infantry (aka it is 260/260 or w/e) you can't storm it.
    Really? I find that a little strange...I'll have to try that out.

I do know that you can't storm a building unless the melee button is selected (I believe this may be prior to ring bayonets)

Yes, this is a problem. I pointed it out earlier, I dont know if it can be fixed, but the "farmhouse" has a pop limit of 186 and when a 200 unit group tries to garrison 14 people are left outside, so until you kill 14 (actually 15 cause that is also buggy, you need 1 extra space it seems?) you will not be able to storm the bulding. Also, you cant seeem to kill/target those 14 standing outside either, you need to kill one by one in the building until the building fills up properly. It is incredably frustrating because if you dont have artillary you will need to stand outside and fire with guns leading to many casulties.

Its Kinda wierd cause in vannilla some russian units would be that big if playing Ultra size. Maybe building pop scales up with units?

Wierd note has any noticed in Forts (indian one i noticeded) they have a population space like buildings (2000+) but it always shows 0 ocupents. How do u get in the walls of a fort maybe? Something not finshed?

Yet another problem that arises from playing on ultra size, which I'd prefer to play on if it actually worked as intended.

Give normal size a whirl until all these "little" details get sorted; AI clustering in the middle of his line even more the larger the units are, occupying houses, navigating the terrain, fort defense. Et cetera.

Wouldn't fix the absolutely awful pathing on Fort Defenses though. Ugh.

"Move from one North facing part of a wall to another."
    - Unit leaves the wall, walks along the ground, then goes back up -

Heaven forbid the enemy has already thrown any grappling hooks up. Sigh.

Dazo's Avatar Biarchus

Hello there,

- I've encountered the same problem (extra soldiers outside buildings preventing you from assaulting them). After some testing, I realized that killing those soldiers outside by fire is very difficult as your men will fire at the building first (so outside soldiers will be killed only by chance (lost bullets).
    - The best way I found is to put your unit in melee mode and to aline them at the same spot where extra enemy soldiers are, they'll be engaged right away by your men. You'll get less casualties by fire since 200 men will quickly get rid of 15 men.
    - You can also kill the general and/or surround the building with 3 or 4 units very closely. If enemy has weak morale (citizens or militia) they can just flee the building after some volleys.
    - For the time being I just consider those extra men as some kind of sharpshooters used to slow down assault on the building (what they actually do lol).

Hope it'll help.