Thread: Golden Text

Default Golden Text

Golden Text
    While we already have a great Photoshop tutorial for making Golden Text there isn't one for GIMP yet. Therefore, I decided to make one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 1

To begin with, simple open a new image consisting of a white background. Then go to <image> --> Renders --> Clouds --> Difference Clouds.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A new window will pop up where you can select several different things. Choose something like 3.0 for both X and Y. "Details" can stay at 1. Also select "turbulence". The window should now look like this:

Press Ok and the effect will be applied to your white background. Your image should now look something like this:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 2

In order to optimize the result, increase the image's contrast. Either go to <image> --> Colors --> Brightness/Contrast and do it manually or go to <image> --> Colors --> Automatic --> Stretch Contrast. Anyway, your image should now look similar to this:

Step 3

Now we want to change the image's color to gold. In order to do that, select "Golden" in the gradient section of the GIMP tool kit:

Afterwards, select your image and go to <image> --> Colors --> Map --> Gradient Map:

Now, the gradient will be applied to your image. In order to improve it a bit, go to <image> --> Filters --> Blur --> Gaussian Blur, set it to 10 for both horizontal and vertical and apply it to your image. The result should look similar to this:

Also, go to <image> --> Colors --> Brightness/Contrast and make it a bit darker and with more contrast (so it actually looks golden).

Step 4

In order to create the actual text, simply choose a font and text size and put your text roughly in the middle of the golden background. Select the text layer and choose "Select from Alphachannel". Then go to the golden background layer and press ctrl-c (copy) and ctrl-v (paste). Now, your golden text will appear. Delete the old golden background layer and the original text layer so only the golden text remains.

Step 5

Now there is one last thing we need to do. Go to <image> --> Filters --> Maps --> Bump-Map:

A new window will pop up where you can decide what the Bump-Map should be like. Choose settings similar to the ones below or experiment with them if you wish:

Press OK and the Bump-Map will be applied to your text. And you're done! You have created a great golden text which should look similar to the one below. Feel free to add an outline, shadows or anything else.

I hope you liked this tutorial.

Default Re: [Tutorial] Golden Text

I do! +Rep

drazeN's Avatar Centenarius

Nice outcome! +rep

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

Too bad the pictures are in the german language though.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Great guide! Helped me a lot. As for pictures in English, I took some while I was following your instructions, so here are the pictures of my version in order that Astaroth has posted his. Astaroth, if you want to put mine into your guide, feel free:

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Dragnesi View Post
    Great guide! Helped me a lot. As for pictures in English, I took some while I was following your instructions, so here are the pictures of my version in order that Astaroth has posted his. Astaroth, if you want to put mine into your guide, feel free:

Thanks a lot . +rep