Thread: Bayonet charge and aura of terror

Default Bayonet charge and aura of terror

Is it, for a modder, possible to do the following:

- Give any unit that executes a bayonet charge an aura of terror until they reach the enemy.
    - If the enemy holds their ground and absorbs the bayonet charge, lower the morale of the attacker.

The idea is to make the charge a decisive element of warfare in itself, while at the same time reducing prolongued bayonet massacres.

Or is it already implemented in the game anyway?

Default Re: Bayonet charge and aura of terror

I agree, this is something that I really wish was already in the game. Bayonet charges should have been huge shock moves that can either make or break a battle... A well timed charge routing the enemy, for example. As it is now, on large size (120 men per unit), when you charge, about 8 guys die from the charge bonus, there is no noticeable morale penalties, and then for the rest of the battle a slow molasses like melee ensues. As it is now, once in melee, units are pretty much "pinned" in the fight untill supporting units come in.

It would be much cooler I think to see, "Oh crap, the enemy is charging on my left flank! My troops have lost heart and and are falling back! Quick, send the reserves to strengthen my flanks!"

Or, how about this "The enemy has charged, but my men through strength of morale have withstood the charge and are pushing the enemy back! The enemy is retreating! Good work boys, follow up with a counter charge!"

Better than "Charge boys! Argh, long unecessary melee... Hmm, now I cant use that unit anymore in this battle because their stuck in a slogfest which will probably last for the next 15 minutes, okay, lets send some more men into the grinder to help 'em out since otherwise that unit is pretty much worthless to me."