Thread: Slow battle map movement

asmorrey1's Avatar Tiro

Default Slow battle map movement

Don't know if this is performance realted or not. I run game on medium settings with a couple of high's and frame rate is good i'm happy with it. However what narcks me is the really slow speed at which the camera moves when you move closer to the ground. I prefer to be able to zip about and focus on what i want. It's not really related to this mod in particulr (which i love by the way) but thought you would know what to do to change this if i can. Thanks very much

Default Re: Slow battle map movement

When you zoom in it's slower on purpose - it's a bit annoying though, there is a key to bind the forward camera to a fast forward but then you cannot pan correctly on the campaign map.

Tried increasing scroll rate ?

asmorrey1's Avatar Tiro

Where can i find the scroll rate? The only option that i changed was movement speed, is there a specific scroll speed. I realise that it does it on pirpose it's just so damned annoying!

Tiro

If you set the camera control to debug mode it goes pretty quick at ground level. Of course you can go underground too..

Holding 8 on the numpad will speed things up.

asmorrey1's Avatar Tiro

ok thanks i'll try those options

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

holding "shift" speeds it up for me.

holding 'w,a,s,d' (depends on your direction) also speed up the camera movement.

holding shift speeds things up, but it seems hardcoded in vanilla, even if you're holding shift, the scroll speed will always stay at a crawl.

It's really too bad. I dont even really try to scroll down to check the lay of the land any more for troop positioning like I used to in Rome and M2, the crawl speed in Empire drives me nuts.

King Yngvar's Avatar Senator

You are right about that, goes annoyingly slow when zoomed in completely compared to the speed when zoomed out. There is really no point in putting the camera movement to max either because then it goes too fast when zoomed out.
    It's redundant to write your username at the end of your post,
    if I wanted to see your name I'd look to the left of my screen.

Tiro

You can set the camera up to go nice and fast in the game settings with some manual editing.

Open preferences.empire_script which can be found in Windows XP @
    C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_PC_NAME\Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

Vista would be something similar.. You might have to show hidden folders to find it.

camera_move_speed 200; # camera_move_speed <float>, Set camera movement speed #
    camera_turn_speed 6; # camera_turn_speed <float>, Set camera turn speed #
    default_camera_type 2; # default_battle_camera <card32>, default battle camera: 0-totalwar 1-rts 2-debug #

Try the 'debug camera' for fast movement of the camera and some new camera angles. Note with debug camera you might start a battle with the camera below ground. Just double click a unit to orientate yourself.

Be sure to save the file with unicode setting in Notepad for it to work in game.

asmorrey1's Avatar Tiro

I'll give it a try. It's just annoying. I like to move fairly quickly when zoomed out to make changes to troop movements formations etc, but when the clashes start it's nice to be able to nip and have a quick skim about and see whats going on rather than have a first person view of my grandad plodding across the battlefield

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

I am rather sure the slower camera speed is for cinematic effect,allowing you better o view the action as it unfolds,as it is often believed that the tactical aspect of the game is carried out from overhead,only zooming in for aesthetic purposes....I though prefer to command from the saddle

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

As stated that's easy to speed up camera press SHIFT key - to follow your troops on the battle map.

I checked it , and if you hold both shift and 'w', it goes faster.

asmorrey1's Avatar Tiro

yeh this does work, yay! It's better than nothing anyways!