Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience - The Difference Between Triumph and Disaster

Default Experience - The Difference Between Triumph and Disaster

Looking around the forums i found a few people who were looking for an experience mod

This is my first attempt at modding, so please tell me if you experience any problems, or have any suggestions for me

There are two versions to this mod:

Version 1 - halves the amount of time it takes for units to gain experience in the game = quick experience (compared to the vanilla version)

Version 2 - experience is gained in 1.5 times the amount of time it normally takes = takes longer to gain experience (compared to vanilla version)

I would not have been able to do this without the help from certain people:

LtChambers - i could only do this through the use of his pack file manager, without it i wouldnt be writing this now http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234546
    MrThib - his guide on creating mods was a big help in learning how to use the pack file manager and in making this mod ready for release http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239933

INSTALLATION:
    First choose the version of the mod you want
    Then download and extract all the files
    Then put the expmod.pack file into your data folder
    It runs using mod manager (thanks to LtChambers again)

Version 1:
    Attachment 37630

Version 2:
    Attachment 37631
    Last edited by Billie Joe; April 13, 2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added a second version of the mod
    "After that business with hydrophobic invasion forces in Empire: Total War, it's impossible to sit down to review a new Creative Assembly creation without anxiety. Will I miss some grievous bug and end up looking like an arse? Should I sprinkle my paragraphs with verbal get-out clauses like 'appears to', 'from what I saw' and 'on the whole'? Am I destined to be remembered as the critic that failed to notice that all the horses in Shogun 2 only have three legs? It can reach the point where you wonder if you'd be better off phoning-in sick and letting the poisoned chalice pass to another poor blighter."

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Experience - The Difference Between Triumph and Disaster

can you tell me how to make this
    I want to make some personal charge
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

is this compatable with darthmod?? and good mod ive been looking for something like this

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

Darthmod already does this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquisher View Post
    Darthmod already does this.
    so no one else can?

Anyway, nice job mate. I'll definitely be adding this.

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

How rude! Sir. He asked if it was compatible with Darth and I said Darth already did this so of course it is not needed to go ontop. Please heed your manners, thank you. And thank you to the mod maker for making a mod just for this task.

Nice job. + rep.

Can you tell me what the values mean? Does xp1_land_kills = 35 mean that a unit will get level 1 experience if it kills 35 enemy units? What about xp1_land_casualties = 750? What does that mean?
    Faction Crown Mod for Stainless Steel 6.1

klesh's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Re: Experience - The Difference Between Triumph and Disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Joe View Post
    To install this minimod you must first extract its files
    It runs using mod manager

This mod doesn't seem to show up in my Mod Manager. Any suggestions? I have unzipped the attachment, put expmod.pack in my data folder, and started the mod manager. Nothing shows up in the MM window?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lionheart View Post
    Nice job. + rep.

Can you tell me what the values mean? Does xp1_land_kills = 35 mean that a unit will get level 1 experience if it kills 35 enemy units? What about xp1_land_casualties = 750? What does that mean?
    I think that mean it will lost 1 exp after replace 750 man
    may be after many battle

Quote Originally Posted by klesh View Post
    This mod doesn't seem to show up in my Mod Manager. Any suggestions? I have unzipped the attachment, put expmod.pack in my data folder, and started the mod manager. Nothing shows up in the MM window?

The pack file has been set to "Movie" (which I assume is accidental). Just open it in the Pack File Manager and change it to a mod.

Sinan's Avatar Senator

Looking around the forums i found a few people who were looking for an experience mod

This minimod halves the requirements for units to gain experience
    In other words units will gain experience in half the time it takes in the vanilla version

This is my first attempt at modding, so please tell me if you experience any problems, or have any suggestions for me

I plan to make another version which increases the time it will take to gain experience and I am open to any suggestions/requests people may have for this as well

I would not have been able to do this without the help from certain people:

LtChambers - i could only do this through the use of his pack file manager, without it i wouldnt be writing this now http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234546
    MrThib - his guide on creating mods was a big help in learning how to use the pack file manager and in making this mod ready for release http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239933

To install this minimod you must first extract its files
    It runs using mod manager (thanks to LtChambers again)

Attachment 37326
    Nice job. +rep Does this include exp gain for naval units ?
    Add me on Steam if you are playing SHOGUN 2 multiplayer!

klesh's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Re: Experience - The Difference Between Triumph and Disaster

Quote Originally Posted by Flobulon View Post
    The pack file has been set to "Movie" (which I assume is accidental). Just open it in the Pack File Manager and change it to a mod.

Thanks Flobulon.

Billie Joe, any chance you'll be changing this?

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

can you edit how much of a bonus they get per expirence?
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

Quote Originally Posted by vietanh797 View Post
    can you tell me how to make this
    I want to make some personal charge
    i could make the changes for you if you want. but i'll tell you anyway 1st you have to download packfile manager (link in my original post). Then using this open up expmod.pack, open db folder and unit_experience_thresholds, from here you can change the values

Quote Originally Posted by KozyEmilio View Post
    is this compatable with darthmod?? and good mod ive been looking for something like this
    this
    would be compatable with darthmod but i strongly suggest not using this with darthmod as he has changed the experience thresholds himself in a way that he thinks balances his mod

Quote Originally Posted by The Lionheart View Post
    Nice job. + rep.

xp1_land_kills=35 means a unit has to kill 35 enemy units to get 1st experience, i believe xp1_land_casualties = 750 means that they have to inflict 750 casualties, unless it means they lose xp1 if they lose 750 casualties (but i dont think you can lose experience in this game)

so i think in order to get to xp1 a unit would have to kill 35 and inflict 750 casualties

Quote Originally Posted by Flobulon View Post
    i had the file set onto "mod" and it didnt work, after seeking advice i set it to "movie" and it worked. to be honest i dont know why but i will try to find out

Thanks Flobulon.

Billie Joe, any chance you'll be changing this?
    for the moment i will not change this as it works with the pack set to "movie". as i said above i will try to find out why it doesnt work when set to "mod" if i find out why i'll change it
    Last edited by Billie Joe; April 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM.
    "After that business with hydrophobic invasion forces in Empire: Total War, it's impossible to sit down to review a new Creative Assembly creation without anxiety. Will I miss some grievous bug and end up looking like an arse? Should I sprinkle my paragraphs with verbal get-out clauses like 'appears to', 'from what I saw' and 'on the whole'? Am I destined to be remembered as the critic that failed to notice that all the horses in Shogun 2 only have three legs? It can reach the point where you wonder if you'd be better off phoning-in sick and letting the poisoned chalice pass to another poor blighter."

can you please tell me if changing the pack type to "mod" worked for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan View Post
    Nice job. +rep Does this include exp gain for naval units ?
    the change also works for naval units

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of The Great Unknown View Post
    can you edit how much of a bonus they get per expirence?
    sorry i havent found a way i'll look into the files a bit more closely but i dont think there is a way

You can change it via the unit_stats_land_experience_bonuses table (unit_stats_naval_experience_bonuses table for ships) found in the main.pack.

New Version added

experience is harder to get, takes 1.5 times the amount of time it does in the vanilla version
    see first post for info and download

if anyone would like me to make another version (eg. one that takes 2 time the time to gain experience) then please tell me, if not then i'll finish there.

Also both packs have been changed to "mod" type and so far have worked for me. problem was i needed to update my modmanager from 1.4 to 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Abandoned Warlord View Post
    You can change it via the unit_stats_land_experience_bonuses table (unit_stats_naval_experience_bonuses table for ships) found in the main.pack.
    thank you i hadnt got round to looking for it yet (+rep)

i think i might have a look into changing this and including as an optional part of this mod
    any ideas on whether people want the experience bonuses to be reduced or increased (i'll probably do one of each anyway) but i would like feedback on the idea to see what the main preference is.
    Last edited by Billie Joe; April 13, 2009 at 11:51 AM.

klesh's Avatar Senator

can you please tell me if changing the pack type to "mod" worked for you?

I don't mess with the pack files, so I haven't changed it. I just haven't been able to run the mod at all yet.

I did just DL your v1.7 file and it does show up in the Mod Manager (v1.4) now! I'm going to upgrade the MM to 1.5 and see if it still works.
    Edit: I can see your v1.7 mod now using MM1.5

so i think in order to get to xp1 a unit would have to kill 35 and inflict 750 casualties...
    I don't think I've ever seen a "casualty" in game? They keep track of soldier deaths caused vs. wounds caused? Is there any way to find out how many casualties you've inflicted?
    Last edited by klesh; April 13, 2009 at 03:25 PM.

to klesh:just edit it by yourself
    it is very easy
    to Joe: I see that Darth mod touch exp too but they only change casualties values to half compare to vanila
    may be ETW track down those number in fact I don't think that if you win battle there will be "live but wounded enemy soldier" may be they just count in your lost battle or auto result battle
    I think it is better that take some closer look on those values

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast