Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A mini-mod for LOTR-TW

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default A mini-mod for LOTR-TW

Hello,
    This is a mod for Lord of the Rings: Total War v2.04 for Alexander. I'm releasing a little mod I'm working that takes two forms, one is hero units with bodygaurds and the other is single unit heroes. Here is how each one works:

A. Hero Bodyguards (still in progress)- Each hero has his (or her) own bodygaurd unit. These BG units have more units in them and are a little more expensive than the "normal" bodyguards. The Heroes are officers so it won't be announced when they die in battle and this can be played on any size settting.

B. Single unit Heroes (still in progress)- Each hero is one seperate unit (like Sauron, only weaker). This version can only be played on either SMALL or MEDIUM scale battles. This is because when the battle scale is above normal, there are multiple heroes (like 2 Aragorns) on the field. But to counter that, I bumped up all of the unit numbers up to be as close to Large scale battles as possible. This is so that way when you fight, it doesn't seem too small. These heroes are meant to be your general unit and they are also very powerful.

*Note* Just to let you guys know, I did this for my personal use and I thought it would be cool if I released this for other people to use and this mini-mod is for custom battle use and both versions add the 3 hidden factions to custom battles. Also, I only added units based off of original units created by the LOTR-TW team and I take no credit what-so-ever for their models. Also, as mentioned, this mod was originally for personal use and I only work on it in my free-time as I am very busy at home with school work and other things. I will also update this as soon as I finish every 2-3 heroes. To get this mini-mod, just install the one you want at the bottom. I will post here when updates are availble. Please add comments here.
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; April 10, 2009 at 06:04 PM.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: A mini-mod for LOTR-TW

The team responsible for LOTR-TW managed to have single man units even in huge settings. I believe it was made via a script that kill the other "clones" before they enter battle. The witch king (mounting the fellbeast) is a single unit even in huge settings at least in version 2.06b. Maybe you could try the same script and make your project work in huge settings.

Citizen

This mod is for custom battles only and I don't think scripts work in custom battles.

Afaik , they do work in Custom battles Take for instance the advisor that pops up when you press 'loos formation' for the first time That's via scripts , you know ?

Citizen

Oh really! I did not know that.
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; May 28, 2009 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    The team responsible for LOTR-TW managed to have single man units even in huge settings. I believe it was made via a script that kill the other "clones" before they enter battle. The witch king (mounting the fellbeast) is a single unit even in huge settings at least in version 2.06b. Maybe you could try the same script and make your project work in huge settings.
    Nah, what they did was make the model that is the Hero into a mount, then put invisible riders into the middle of that mount. You don't see riders, and no matter what size you're playing on you only see one "mount".
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Citizen

Well if you do it like what you said, on large there will be 2 mounts and on huge 4. They definitely used a script in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman_Man#3 View Post
    Nah, what they did was make the model that is the Hero into a mount, then put invisible riders into the middle of that mount. You don't see riders, and no matter what size you're playing on you only see one "mount".
    I know that but in the end when you play for Mordor for example you will have only one Witch king in his fellbeast flying around, for example, even in huge settings. The result is a single man unit altough it is only a "workaround" in the engine. Also I have to observe that the scripts were necessary to have single man units cause even making units as mount would give us at least 4 mounts in huge settings cause it is the minimum the system can support. They also use a sript that kills 3 of the 4 mounts before entering battle. So it is a combination of what you mentioned plus a good script.
    Last edited by paradamed; June 14, 2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Later thoughts

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Good work man
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

Citizen

@ karlo Thanks man!

@paradamed I tried and tried, but I couldn't get the script to work for custom battles. It keeps quiting me out of the game. But even though I keep failing, I will keep trying as I would love to have one-man units for custom battles (my silly dream). Lately, I've been working on FA and Mythology Total War (see sig's link) so my hands are kind of tied right now.

Anakarsis's Avatar Biarchus

Then why in standard (default) setting appear 2 saurons?

It looks like this is due to the engine limitations. The team even managed to make single man units in campaign via scripts but it works when you begin the campaign but after the first time you load the campaign the single man units get back to multiple man units (2 or 4 units depending on the unit size). So you will not see one man units.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Anakarsis View Post
    Then why in standard (default) setting appear 2 saurons?
    thats large (normal 1, large 2, huge 4)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Well, Large is more or less the "community standard", I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    But how is this possible when right now i am playing the 2.08c OB patch and there still are no single hero units? There isn't even a Witch King on Fellbeast unit, he's only on horseback. I was very disappointed.

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn II Elessar View Post
    But how is this possible when right now i am playing the 2.08c OB patch and there still are no single hero units? There isn't even a Witch King on Fellbeast unit, he's only on horseback. I was very disappointed.
    you're very disappointing because one you revived this thread and two there is a witch king riding on fellbeast unit.

Laetus

Icon5 Re: A mini-mod for LOTR-TW

Have you been able to make single-man units other than what you uploaded here? Because I want a single Legolas archer. As a officer, he can't be an archer Does anyone know why?

Grtz, WilliamtheGreat

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamtheGreat View Post
    Have you been able to make single-man units other than what you uploaded here? Because I want a single Legolas archer. As a officer, he can't be an archer Does anyone know why?

Grtz, WilliamtheGreat
    engine limits stop that

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Nope, Aristeia TW has one-man unit (for heroes) in battle. I believe it's a script that kill the clones at the beginning of the battle, so there is only one man left.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Nelduin View Post
    Nope, Aristeia TW has one-man unit (for heroes) in battle. I believe it's a script that kill the clones at the beginning of the battle, so there is only one man left.
    OK, do you know if you can make one man units of archers? In LOTR-TW, units like Gandalf the Grey and Saruman do have a missile attack, but they are not archers and do not fire like them either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast