Thread: Startup issue

Necrobrit's Avatar Urbanis Legio

This has been puzzling me for a while now. I have a homebuilt windows xp machine, and in the last few months, the startup has been screwed up:
    In order to start it up I have to,
    1)Press the motherboard's power button on the front of the case, this turns on all the lights and fans. However the monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer ect. do not turn on.
    2)Wait a few minutes, turn off the computers power source and immediately turn it back on again, this momentarily has the same result as number one, then everything shuts off again.
    3)press the front power button again, the computer now turns on normally.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this (I was on vacation and came back to this, so I cant pinpoint any specific actions that could have caused it)? I haven’t really made many attempts to fix it, its not really a high priority, and I doubt anyone has any ideas. Just seeing if I've missed something easy...

The Imperial House Of The Wolf
    Son of WBK/Anagennese.
    The second generation of The Imperial Household: Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion, Kagemusha, Muizer, Battle Knight and Asterix
    Father of Zuwxiv, Borsook, PyrrhusIV, and Aristocrat formerly bestowing patronage upon Omnipotent-Q

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Do you or a buddy happen to have a spare PSU lying around? If so, try that.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

Yeah, I'd say it sounds like the Power supply is flaky. Perhaps it took a surge or something? Swap it out and see if the problem goes away. And if you really have some time, put the original power supply in another system and see if the problem follows it.

Necrobrit's Avatar Urbanis Legio

Originally posted by Brodiseus@May 10 2005, 12:27 PM
    Yeah, I'd say it sounds like the Power supply is flaky. Perhaps it took a surge or something? Swap it out and see if the problem goes away. And if you really have some time, put the original power supply in another system and see if the problem follows it.
    Aye... Looks like thats what I'm going to have to do, I guess I'll take the opportunity to organize some of the connections too. :sad

The Imperial House Of The Wolf
    Son of WBK/Anagennese.
    The second generation of The Imperial Household: Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion, Kagemusha, Muizer, Battle Knight and Asterix
    Father of Zuwxiv, Borsook, PyrrhusIV, and Aristocrat formerly bestowing patronage upon Omnipotent-Q

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Good idea. Most people are astounded at how much temps drop inside the case with some simple wire management. This could help prolong the life of your PC as well. Zip ties or automotive wire cover is definitely worth the price considering the $ you'd save on a burned out component.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here