Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toggle Line Fire/Platoon Firing

Default Toggle Line Fire/Platoon Firing

Hi guys
    Thx you darth mod for this wonderful mod!
    I fell that platoon fire is in 90% of times worse than line fire, so i thought:
    can you use the 'fire and advance' button to toggle between line fire and platoon firing?

thx for all

Default Re: Toggle Line Fire/Platoon Firing

good idea.

When both fire by rank and platoon firing are researched, is it random whether a unit uses one or the other?

no, i think elite units always use platoon fire

could be .so Guards will use platoon fire and 'normal' line inf will use fire by rank then?
    an option to switch between both would be nice

I second the motion, would be great.....

A agree that fire by rank seems to be the way to go right now, but if everyone agrees that platoon firing is inferior and suddenly you have the choice between the two, who is going to pick platoon fire?
    WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Platoon fire should get an accuracy bonus.

The idea of it was to have a few shooters aiming at a few targets, and then the next set follow on and shoot at different targets - essentially with fire by rank the same target could be hit by 2-3 shots, in platoon fire this should not happen and the shot:kill should be higher.

At very close range a volley / fire by rank would be more useful - so an option to switch them would be perfect, only problem is platoon fire replaces fire by rank in the abilities

Quote Originally Posted by Midknight View Post
    Platoon fire should get an accuracy bonus.

The idea of it was to have a few shooters aiming at a few targets, and then the next set follow on and shoot at different targets - essentially with fire by rank the same target could be hit by 2-3 shots, in platoon fire this should not happen and the shot:kill should be higher.

At very close range a volley / fire by rank would be more useful - so an option to switch them would be perfect, only problem is platoon fire replaces fire by rank in the abilities
    Or platoon should get some kind of a morale breaking power...the whole idea of platoon firing is to keep your enemy under CONSTANT fire and suppressed...I don't really see that in the game mechanics right now...if coming under fire from platoon fire were to lower moral or increase reload time, it would be much more useful. As it is now it kills many fewer that fire by rank.
    Last edited by Barabus; April 09, 2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling

I dont think there is a modifier for that (infact I am sure there isn't) which is why I suggested more accuracy which would inflict more damage and more morale loss - but I dont think there is a modifier for that either ! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Midknight View Post
    I dont think there is a modifier for that (infact I am sure there isn't) which is why I suggested more accuracy which would inflict more damage and more morale loss - but I dont think there is a modifier for that either ! lol
    Yeah i don't think there is a way to increase accuracy of a unit based on their current firing formation....looks like another solution will need to be found.

I thought platoon fire had a huge reload bonus. 100 men split into two ranks can fire constantly, in fact the first three shooters are reloaded before the last ones fire. Far faster than fire by rank, or more lead per second.

I for one would generally pick platoon fire but I heartily agree that having the option to let loose three big volleys can be better at times, so having both at our fingeretips equals awesomeness, if possible.

Lone's Avatar Libertus

Platoon fire does have it's benefits but think about a scenario like this: Two similar units with the same stats meet in typical line engagement. The other unit employs fire by rank tactics and the other one fires as a platoon. The fire by rank unit lets out 3 massive volleys in the beginning of the battle and will already cause substantial losses for the other unit and therefore reducing their firepower right from the start. So if we keep going like this I would definitely root for the 'Fire by Rank' unit unless Platoon firing offers some significant bonuses as in breaking morale or accuracy.

Could there be some way to test this scenario?

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

it is kind of odd that platoon fire is attributed to elite units,seeing as it is often times stated that this method of firing went out with Marlborough,having only lasted a limited time in practice

Quote Originally Posted by Lone View Post
    Platoon fire does have it's benefits but think about a scenario like this: Two similar units with the same stats meet in typical line engagement. The other unit employs fire by rank tactics and the other one fires as a platoon. The fire by rank unit lets out 3 massive volleys in the beginning of the battle and will already cause substantial losses for the other unit and therefore reducing their firepower right from the start. So if we keep going like this I would definitely root for the 'Fire by Rank' unit unless Platoon firing offers some significant bonuses as in breaking morale or accuracy.

Could there be some way to test this scenario?
    tried: elite with platoon firing vs line infantry= sometime line wins, sometimes equal with the elite winning with bayonet

Quote Originally Posted by thepatriot View Post
    tried: elite with platoon firing vs line infantry= sometime line wins, sometimes equal with the elite winning with bayonet

Go to kv rules, change imp. platoon firing to 100, it's epic, end of story.

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

That would be fun but tell that to CA. Creating such a button is not possible for us I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    it is kind of odd that platoon fire is attributed to elite units,seeing as it is often times stated that this method of firing went out with Marlborough,having only lasted a limited time in practice
    This was also my impression. Platoon firing seems to have been limited to a certain time period and to certain nations. To make it worse, this period was the late 17th, early 18th century, yet the tech is far down the line. Other important developments, like the iron ramrod, are nowhere to be found.
    Due to the ailing economy, this space has been foreclosed.

i would not research platoon fire if i could but its needed to get the last city barracks

any kind of modding to stop them spreading out when platoon firing?

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

Quote Originally Posted by jumong View Post
    any kind of modding to stop them spreading out when platoon firing?
    yes there is you can just delete it, I have done it on one campaign

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast