Thread: CAI on adrenaline?

notger's Avatar Decanus

Default CAI on adrenaline?

Playing France on N/N (like a cruise and play historical and slow), within eight years into the game, everyone I have a border with declares war on me (yes, everyone: Wurttemberg, Savoy in turn 2, later Rhineland, UP, Genoa, Irokese, Huron). And this is without me doing any aggressive moves. I was deliberately turtling around.
    Add in GB and Austria, and there is a world war going on.

A constant world war, because no one ever accepts peace under reasonable circumstances.

Version 0,9 made this game from a game about controlled war objectives to a conquer-them-all-world-domination-slug-fest.

CAI ...
    - attacks you always, if they are a minor nation.
    - never accepts peace, if they are a minor nation (no troops, no working province, under siege ... doesn't care, rather goes extinct).
    - seems really really obsessed about raiding specific towns/farms (always goes for the farm in Quebec, no real war, only raiding, lots of troops standing around useless).
    - only accepts peace under ridiculously favourable conditions (a couple of provs, tech plus money plus it has to be under attack from several other stronger major powers).

I know, that you are very busy Darth, but it would be very nice of you to just drop a line, wether these things are going to be adressed or not, or wether they have come to your attention, at least.

Has anyone else experienced this or is this due to me playing France?

Default Re: CAI on adrenaline?

same, campaign, on H/H with france. not only that everyone is at war, but wurtemberg attacked strasbourg in their very first turn with pikmen, militia horse gendarmerie, send 2 turns later in one single turn 3 stacks of 1-2 units against my halfstack+ just at their border. needless to say their capital was empty and ready to be taken.

anyway was fun! problem is not that so much war gets declared, problem is that noone makes peace... but well that's not up to the modders but up to CA

notger's Avatar Decanus

Not really.

I tried Imperial Splendour last night, and there, Westphalia, Wurttemberg and Savoy declared war, too, but W. accepted peace!
    Austria, UP and GB accepted peace at reasonable prizes, too.
    And the Indians don't do that stupid "I raid your farm with one unit and keep 20 units at the border, doing nothing"-routine. In fact, they are not belligerent at all, which is a nice change of rhythm.

I had the same thing happen, is this the mod doing this or the orginal programming? On H/H as France, I had Wurttenburg and Savoy declare war on me within a couple turns. It isn't too bad if a large power declares war on me in tow with a number of the smaller allied countries, but some of these smaller states that declared war are allied with Austria and then Austria doesn't care to back up the alliance.

true it's normal that savoi and wurthenberg declare war on france early but not that they empty their city to attack a 5x superior stack.
    A problem was the first attack was with pikemen, horse and milita on a fort. only militia could climb the wall.
    i got draged into war with britain and austria trough spain wars. which isn't a bad thing actually!

Yeah if the war is having larger powers thats one thing, I understand that this is just a program but I figure at least the larger countries should be dragging the the smaller states to war(although there are exceptions).

Jynx's Avatar Decanus

BAI is also on adrenaline...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This is what the horsemen are thinking...

80 years is simply not enough to enjoy all of the fun in the world, and out of it...

Lone's Avatar Libertus

I guess it just means they are outmatching their opponent in terms of killing efficiency, obviously they will get annihilated at some point. I remember seeing the same thing in the previous TW games no matter how outnumbered the unit was.

A heroic way to go!

I tried my first 9.5 campaign as Russia(VH/VH). I had Sweden declare war on turn 2, then Georgia and Dagastan declare war on turn 3. I'm already at war with Ottomans and Crimea at the start. Not a problem in my book though, AI is actually doing something. Now if we can just get AI in Europe, to actually attack each others regions when they declare war on other AI factions, or if they join a war due to being allied with the Human player.

I easily take Crimea, but have Swedish raiding parties everywhere.

Dagastan and Georgia are raiding, each with a very large army. I cannot do anything to stop them, but they seem to be content with raiding, and not crossing the river in SE russia.

They could easily have taken two regions by now. In fact, I had accepted the fact I was going to lose those two SE most regions, and started reinforcing accordingly. I have only two medium sized Armies(its all I can afford), sitting in Kiev and Moscow. I moved north from Moscow with my main army, and easily took St Petersburg. Swedish raiding parties moved right by my army, and they never even tried to defend Petersburg. Turn 20 something now, and Georgias full stack, and Dagastans half stack are just sitting inside two of my minor towns, near their border.

It seems AI is content with raiding, and will not move to capture regional capitals, even if they have an overwhealming numbers advantage. I'm guessing it's still Vanilla AI kicking in, and not related to any changes Darth has made.
    Last edited by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus; April 11, 2009 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus View Post
    It seems AI is content with raiding, and will not move to capture regional capitals, even if they have an overwhealming numbers advantage. I'm guessing it's still Vanilla AI kicking in, and not related to any changes Darth has made.
    I've noticed the exact same thing that you're talking about (I like to play Russia). It happens in every game I play. Crimea, Georgia, Dagestan raid but never take any territories.

I'm not positive, but I think the only minor nations that have ever taken territories from me have been the Iroquois.

Could it be something in the minor nations AI? Something that's different than the AI for major powers?

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. It seems like CA coded AI to raid, but not lay siege to regional capitals. Guess they didnt want players to ever lose a campaign, no matter what settings you play on. I'd guess they didnt understand by doing this, they're actually breaking the game.

You would really have to go out of your way to lose all your regions in Empire. I recall a few campaigns in Rome Vanilla, and mods I've played, where I had to just give it up, because AI was crushing me. I dont think AI could EVER do the same in Empire, no matter how hard you tried to let them win.

It would be an interesting experiment, to never recruit any additional armies once you get past the hardcoded invasions that happen the first few turns, and just keep advancing the turns(Anyone but England). I would bet you could get to 1799, and not get wiped out by AI.
    Last edited by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus; April 12, 2009 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus View Post
    I recall a few campaigns in Rome Vanilla, and mods I've played, where I had to just give it up, because AI was crushing me. I dont think AI could EVER do the same in Empire, no matter how hard you tried to let them win.
    I wonder if there is any way to mod the AI to do it then. IF CA made a game for kids, can`t the comunity repair it?