Thread: Does Battle AI play defense?

Default Does Battle AI play defense?

I have been using IS for sometime now and I realized that in a tactical battle, I am always on defense waiting for the AI to come at me. Now, to be fair, I usually try to force a seiged army to salley but I cannot think of a time when, in a battle, the AI stayed put while I attacked except in town seiges.

I am not sure if anyone elso has experienced this or not. Seems that as soon as a battle startes, regardless of who initiated it, the AI starts moving his Army forward (and sometimes, abandons defensive structires to do it) before I can.

Has anyone noticed this or are you guys finding that if you initiate the attack on the campaign map, on the Battle map, the AI will stay put and wait for you to attack?

Default Re: Does Battle AI play defense?

Yup, I've noticed this too. It's rather unfair that you can always wait for the AI to come to you (and your canister shots) even when you're the one who attacked.

I have seen a few times where the BAI randomly goes passive and turtle until you arty him or advance, but imo there should be a more reasonabe threshold for this behavior. 1. If they were defending (duh) 2. if they have arty superiority 3. if they're outnumbered and 4. if they have fortifications.

I've fought some battles with the NA natives that had them on the defensive and smartly playing it, too. They would stay hidden, withdrawn out of cannon range and would wait for me to come forward trying to find them, and root them out.

Likewise, with some European forces that I've attacked, except for the ability to hide so well...

I think that it comes down to arty superiority for the AI. Ran into a stack of venitian made up mostly of arty and bad infantry. They were dug in, and wouldnt attack. They did abandon their entrenchments, and their arty when i attacked. but they didnt let me canister them into the ground.

Foederatus

Everthing usually plays as you describe. I'd say in 90% of the battles I've fought. That said, in my last campaign playing as Portugal; I had to fight some battles where the AI eluded fight untill I manage to deny him the ability to manoeuver using the virtual end map line.

Quixote, are there any modable numbers that dictate whether the AI plays defense? Just seems like battles would be. Better if I was forced to attack into the AI's position every now and then.

ive played a battle where they were on the defense, only one battle though. They just sat in a Forrest area and waited for me to engage them

in my experience, the BAI will actually check who has artillery superiority and then decide to engage, or not to. In those armies you describe, did the AI have more cannons than you? Whoever has less cannons is the one who has to charge, regardless of being player or AI.

If that is the case, one could maybe change the CAI to recruit more artillery and this way encourage right decisions in battle.

Gomer_Pyle's Avatar Ducenarius

I think i have to agree with Lazy. Mostly when i fight eurpeans I normally play defence. But if i fight NA I play both. It really depens what the "ratio" is before the battle. If you are outnumbered they will come for you. If you outnumber them you better go hunting.

We make war that we may live in peace.

-Aristotle-

If you don't have artillery they might wait for you to attack them.
    "Der Krieg ist eine bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln.
    (War is merely the continuation of politics by other means.)

I don't think I've ever seen them act defensively w/o being in a town.

I just did some testing and it seems you are right, even with artillery superiority the AI will come to you with their infantry.

But since that is Battle AI it cannot be modded anyways at this time. So we will have to live with it.

I have seen it act defensively in a smart way a few times, but completely agree that it doesn't dig in and wait enough.

Yep as mentioned, if you have more artillery than the enemy they will ttack, which is pretty logical i suppose. If they have more arty they seem to be a bit more defensive although there cavalry always like to try an flank you.

I kind of wish arty had an ammo supply outside of sieges. Because its unlimited they pretty much have to make the ai attack if it cant out arty you. Or else we'd be complaining that the AI just sits there while we shell them all day long.

HopliteLysander's Avatar Civis

I just saw the AI act defensively. I jumped a small force with my main army and he stuck his militia behind some rock walls and eventually forced be to go in and get him (they get great cover behind walls!)

That being said i had him outnumbered at least 3-1