Thread: Should Embryonic Stem Cell usage and research be banned? [Spartan90 vs Silver Guard] commentary thread

Civitate

Default Should Embryonic Stem Cell usage and research be banned? [Spartan90 vs Silver Guard] commentary thread

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Default Re: Should Embryonic Stem Cell usage and research be banned? [Spartan90 vs Silver Guard]

Not all stem cells are embryonic. I do not think ou will find a balanced resource on the net on this topic. Even Wiki has some bias issues.

One placce to start mght be: Human stem cell research: all viewpoints

But again, there is bias.

If this debate is to focus on embryonic stem cells, good luck. I am eager to see both sides presented well in this debate.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

NONOPUST's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Should Embryonic Stem Cell usage and research be banned? [Spartan90 vs Silver Guard]

In my opinion taking embryonic stem cells is no worse than eating a hen's egg.

Patrician

Then there is no special value for human life versus a chicken's life? Are you a member of PETA?

The real question on this debate is not really being discussed. There is real division of belief in abortion issues. This entire discussion of embryonic stem cells is a proxy for the larger debate. In the case of government funding for research, should the government use taxpayer money on non-essential expenditures just so one political group gains an advantage over another political group? This is not about making such research illegal, just about whether the government should fund it.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.

Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Prince View Post
    Then there is no special value for human life versus a chicken's life? Are you a member of PETA?

The real question on this debate is not really being discussed. There is real division of belief in abortion issues. This entire discussion of embryonic stem cells is a proxy for the larger debate. In the case of government funding for research, should the government use taxpayer money on non-essential expenditures just so one political group gains an advantage over another political group? This is not about making such research illegal, just about whether the government should fund it.
    No I am not in PETA. But we humans are animals as well. And since an embryo is not formed into a human, much like an egg isn't a chicken yet, I see no problem in using them for the gain of people in need. I am not saying Chicken=Human, I am saying that the embryo and egg being used for something like that research is both equally harmless.

And I do think our government should invest money into this research. The benefits outweigh the cons by a substantial amount.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by NONOPUST View Post
    No I am not in PETA. But we humans are animals as well. And since an embryo is not formed into a human, much like an egg isn't a chicken yet, I see no problem in using them for the gain of people in need. I am not saying Chicken=Human, I am saying that the embryo and egg being used for something like that research is both equally harmless.

And I do think our government should invest money into this research. The benefits outweigh the cons by a substantial amount.
    Let's concede for the sake of this arguement, that the benefits do indeed outweigh the costs. Why does this mean the government should be investing public funds into this research? There seems to be plenty of private research on this topic. The issue is controversial. The public funding is not essential. This is merely a means to support political agenda positions on abortion. There would be no fuss on government funding if this were not the case. The government should not be taking sides on this issue in this manner.

Let's concede for the sake of this arguement, that the benefits do indeed outweigh the costs. Why does this mean the government should be investing public funds into this research? There seems to be plenty of private research on this topic. The issue is controversial. The public funding is not essential. This is merely a means to support political agenda positions on abortion. There would be no fuss on government funding if this were not the case. The government should not be taking sides on this issue in this manner.
    Would it not affect Medicare and other health organizations if cures could be found for many diseases?(which already cost a whole lot of tax dollars) If public funds can make it go faster then I am all for it. Believe me if the money is the problem there are many other worthless projects that could be canceled.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by NONOPUST View Post
    Would it not affect Medicare and other health organizations if cures could be found for many diseases?(which already cost a whole lot of tax dollars) If public funds can make it go faster then I am all for it. Believe me if the money is the problem there are many other worthless projects that could be canceled.
    Polaticians are always fear mongering. It is for the choldren. If the nation can send a man to the moon....

I see no reason why this needs to be government funded. The non-fetal embryonic research is already well funded. The argument of saving tax dollars is not adequate to trample the wishes of many who feal this is supporting the abortion argument and not real research. There are endless what if scenarios that can be thrown up.

btw -- I am always in favor of killing the worthless projects, but for as long as I have studied, the fat always seems to remain in government spending.

Polaticians are always fear mongering. It is for the choldren. If the nation can send a man to the moon....

I see no reason why this needs to be government funded. The non-fetal embryonic research is already well funded. The argument of saving tax dollars is not adequate to trample the wishes of many who feal this is supporting the abortion argument and not real research. There are endless what if scenarios that can be thrown up.

btw -- I am always in favor of killing the worthless projects, but for as long as I have studied, the fat always seems to remain in government spending.
    Well in the current economical state, maybe it is right in saying that the government does not need to fund these projects at the moment. This research though, is so much more promising than half the meaningless crap our government funds in research(but that's another topic).

Remember back in old times Science was seen as the work of the devil refuting God's word. Times will change