Page 78 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2853686970717273747576777879808182838485868788103128 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 3338

Thread: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

Icon5 Re: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

I've got a bit of a problem with the Fellowship campaign. Don't worry it's not any of the missions! How do you make money to buy mercenaries? I was making plenty of money and recruited a lot of mercs but then I finished the Isengard quest and the Ents I got now cost me 500 upkeep. I'm going in debt and need help and advice on what to do please?

Arlin's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

edit: Figured out my first question. But now I have another. In FS campaign, I keep failing Legolas' quest to Cleanse Mirkwood II. It says wait for Dol Guldor's army. I just conquered Dol Guldor but says I failed. There is no Dol Guldor army anywhere either, even if I load the save file before the victory. Just says I still fail when I wait the last turn of the quest no matter what.
    Last edited by Arlin; April 14, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
    "Whoso would be a man, must be a nonconformist. He who would gather immortal palms must not be hindered by the name of goodness, but must explore it if it be goodness. Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. Absolve you to yourself, and you shall have the suffrage of the world. No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution; the only wrong what is against it....."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sometimes the quests bug out. IIRC i did the Mirkwood quest ok, but the quest for Gimli at Dain's Halls bugged out for me.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

The one time I played the FC I wasn't able to finish either for some reason.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Am i doing something wrong? Whenever i complete one of the little side missions that tells me to do something and i'll get a few of the best units in the game at your capital, then the units never appear, even after it said i have gotten them. I've only played as Gondor, so maybe its just something with that faction.

Not played as Gondor, but it works generally speaking.

However, are you sure you are not just not noticing them. The actual message you get is you will get some of the best units currently available. So, if the best unit you can get are Spearmen, then that is what you will get.

Playing as OoG at the moment and was most annoyed to find the best units i could currently get (according to the reward) was catapults. That just shows you how crappy the early OoG units are.... looking forward to troll production which it becomes available.... then they will see! The whole of middle earth will see!!! Muhwaaahahaahaaa

PS: You have checked all your cities? Maybe you capital isn't where you think it is?

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

@ Loki_999: Yeah I hate getting catapults too, and as a result I almost always wait to build siege until late-game JUST to avoid that fustration

@ jobobfranky: If you are going to your capital and NO units are appearing then you probably were gifted ships. Check your docks (not just at your capital but other major coastal cities as well).

Ex. When I play as the High Elves and my capital is Imladris I am sometimes gifted ships that appear in Mithlond even though the message says "in your capital".

Is there a mod to make the campaign play more like total war? by that I mean have units flee more often (as many of them fight to the very end) as this is much more how Total War plays since the goal is not to kill every unit but to make it seem like fighting is hopeless. and also a way to attack faction's economy and starve out settlements, as its frustrating when you think you have the upper hand just for armies to appear out of nowhere. I know there is a garrison script but does it make it too easy if this is removed?

Q1: If you want the enemies to flee more often an easy fix would be to lower the battle difficulty level. I don't know of any TATW sub-mod that specifically lowers troop morale. Orcs can be made to route on VH/VH but don't count on seeing too many elves turn tail.

Q2: I'm afraid the money scripts in place for TATW make it (almost) impossible to starve a faction completely out just by blockade/ siege. This is done to help the ai keep from going bankrupt but at the cost of effective attrition.

Q3: Taking away the garrison script really does change the feel of the game. However, even without the garrison script there are still triggers that will spawn backup armies for struggling factions so they aren't total pushovers. I'd recommend removing the garrison script and seeing if you enjoy it. You might also want to try a sub-mod called "Massive Overhaul Submod" found (here). This lets you choose what scripts you want to play with at the beginning of each new campaign game.

Thanks I'll try that out.

the MOH seemed a bit intimidating especially since I'm in a hotseat with a few friends and I don't want to risk things going horribly wrong.

MOS, i mean

I found another mod that might be a better solution for you.

Trailhog's Cheat Removal Mod found (here) is a small mod and compatible with both vanilla TATW and MOS. It takes away all the extra ai army bonuses as well as re-balances the ai income. It might be a more elegant solution than installing MOS (as that really is quite a different game).

Hope you find a version you enjoy!

Thanks for the help!

Vitez's Avatar Miles

Icon5 Little Help please :)

Hi guys.

Im playing third age with MOS submod installed.

CUrrently playing as high elves.

What and where do I need to build to get eldar and other new epic units???

Tnx

At the very start of the campaign you can pick up a few new eliete units around Imladris as mercenaries (Noldor spearmen I believe). They have a long refresh though so don't count on seeing them often

After the "Barracks Event" at turn 40 you will be able to recruit your Eldar troops once you have built up your barracks/ archery range/ or stables all the way up. This is a similar to the Marius Reforms in Rome Total War.

You won't be able to build the top-tier buildings (the ones that train Eldars) until after the Barracks Event at turn 40, so until then choose a settlement to start focusing on your long-term recruitment (Imladris is usually my first choice). The High Elves have eliete units available from all 3 main military buildings, so whether you choose barracks, archery range, or stables you will be able to recruit Eldar units from them.

There is also a tier of High Elven units above the Barracks Event which become unlockable only after you restore the Jewelsmith's Guild in Ost-in-Edhil. If I remember correctly for a MOS game the information on how to accomplish that can be found under one of Elrond's ancillaries.
    Last edited by Mank; April 21, 2013 at 09:39 PM.

Vitez's Avatar Miles

tnx man

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by DVersion View Post
    Is there a mod to make the campaign play more like total war? by that I mean have units flee more often (as many of them fight to the very end) as this is much more how Total War plays since the goal is not to kill every unit but to make it seem like fighting is hopeless. and also a way to attack faction's economy and starve out settlements, as its frustrating when you think you have the upper hand just for armies to appear out of nowhere. I know there is a garrison script but does it make it too easy if this is removed?
    Actually, once you learn how, it is easy to rout enemies in TATW as well.

Hey guys, I'm posting this in the general questions thread because the one who could answer it doesn't appear to have been active on the forums for a while. I downloaded a submod (Alleycat's Turtlemod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...on-11-10-12%29) and installed it to his specifications. The submod has always worked for me. This time, however, when I start a battle it ctds. I have come to the conclusion that this is due to the map.rwm in the map>base folder regenerating after I delete it. I've never encountered an error like this before and scoured the forums for a similar issue with map.rwm but found none. The one difference I can think of this time is that I'm using a copy of Medieval 2 downloaded via amazon, not steam. Does anyone have any idea as to what has gone wrong here? Thank you for your time.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

map.rwm is an essential file , it is meant to regenerate the reason you delete it is because if there are changes in the base folder deleting map.rwm takes account of them in that file .

data\descr_geography_new.txt
    data\descr_geography_new.db

these two files are the most common cause for battle crashs delete them and see if that helps

Your suggestions appears to have worked! What do those files do?