Thread: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

Default Re: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

The search feature not too helpdful for finding stuff, although I did try.

Two questions:

1) Is it possible/how to disable night battles completely ? (it's just an eyesight burner).

2) Is it possible/how to shorten duration to say 30 minutes as you are able to do in later titles of the Total War series?

Thanks

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

1)Night battles should only happen when you select the option, except in Mordor i think it's always dark on the battle map when fighting in mordor.
    2) I could find no way in game to shorten the time limit for battles. perhaps another forum member adept at editing the game files can be of further assistance.
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Does anyone know what faction is the last one on the right on the second row in this video at 8:39?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6_MQFU_LQs

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Does anyone know what faction is the last one on the right on the second row in this video at 8:39?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6_MQFU_LQs
    arnor in vanila TATW
    greetings atthias
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Cool, thanks. But I thought you have to start as Eriador and convert to Arnor later. You can start as Arnor?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

The video is showing the custom battle menu screen. Arnor can be played in custom battles.

Some submods do provide a reforge-Arnor-at-start script for the campaign; in that sense it is possible to start as Arnor.

Ooooh...

Is it possible to transfer the ring from one character to other?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Yes, as long as the character who you want to give it to do not have 8 ancillaries already, as 8 is the limit one general can have.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Yes, as long as the character who you want to give it to do not have 8 ancillaries already, as 8 is the limit one general can have.
    Okhay how should I do it then? I have no idea how to move ancillaries in total war games.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

If there are 2 generals in a stack, you click-drag the ancillary onto the others portrait. This will work between agents in the same stack but most ancillaries are specific to certain types of character so you won't be able to swap many (if any) between generals and diplomats for example.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Default Two questions about third age

1. How old can generals live and do they vary by faction?

2. What is obedience and what does it do?

Default Re: Two questions about third age

1) Age can not differ between factions, no. Therefore in TATW, to find an acceptable level between mortals and immortals, general start to die of old age around 120 years old, but (IIRC) can with the greatest of luck reach up to the max age of 150; never seen that though.

2) Obedience is a new name for what in M2 is known as Piety.
    Piety increase happiness from the population that have the same religion as you (in TATW called culture, like 'Northmen' or 'Followers of Melkor'), but make the population of other religions angry. So if you have taken a settlement with little of your culture it may be a good idea to not have a general with high Obedience in it.
    Also Piety decrease corruption, the higher the less corruption. so if you have the general as governor in a settlement, you may save in some cash.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Awesome, thank you. Also around what age can they stop having kids?

Quote Originally Posted by frogg222 View Post
    Awesome, thank you. Also around what age can they stop having kids?
    No problem

I don't think males have any limit when they can get no more children actually, as long as their wives are not past 45 (IIRC, can be 50) years old.
    However the max number of children (incl. adopted and dead ones) are 4, so no more than so.
    Last edited by Ngugi; October 20, 2015 at 09:55 AM.

Is there anyway I can increase the recruitment pool?

In the export_descr_unit.txt file (called EDB) you can edit pools, but unless you just want to edit a single unit it is a decent amount fo work.
    You find it in ...mods/Third_Age_3/data-folder (or mods/teutonic/data, or alike Kingdoms-folder, if you use the Steam-version of M2, I presume).

First I suggest you download and install Notepad++, it's free and will make any editing much easier and safer.

Back to the EDB:
    In it you find the entries for all recruitable units, found under the section of buildings they are recrutied from: stables, barracks, missile and siege (trolls have a fourth of their own).

A unit usually has three lines, with different replenishment speed (in this example marked in red) depending on the terrain type (that a region can have: forest, grassland, mountains and desert).
    This number is between 0 and 1, where 1 mean that each turn a new unit become avilable. In the following example 0.12 mean a new unit is avilable each 8th turn, 0.08 mean one new every 13th turn and 0.06 one every 17th turn.
    Code:
    ;############################################################
    ;######################### BARRACKS  ########################
    ;############################################################
    building barracks
    {
        convert_to castle_barracks
        levels town_watch town_guard city_watch militia_drill_square militia_barracks army_barracks royal_armoury 
        {
            town_watch city requires factions { sicily, byzantium, milan, scotland, turks, spain, venice, england, france, hre, portugal, egypt, mongols, moors, } 
            {
                convert_to 1
                capability
                {
                    recruit_pool "High Sword"  1   0.12   2  0  requires factions { egypt, }  and region_religion orthodox 33 and hidden_resource forest
                    recruit_pool "High Sword"  1   0.08   1  0  requires factions { egypt, }  and region_religion orthodox 33 and hidden_resource grasland
                    recruit_pool "High Sword"  1   0.06   1  0  requires factions { egypt, }  and region_religion orthodox 33 and hidden_resource mountains or hidden_resource desert
    (...)
    The number after, marked in blue, is how many units that can be avilable at the same time from the building.
    As seen, in a Town Watch built in a forest-region the barrack can hold two unrecruited units waiting for you, but in the other kind of regions the barrack will only hold one unit, and when that is filled and the unit avilable for recruitment, the replenishment pauses.

In the example you see that the unit is High Sword, this is not the name you see in the game, but the so called type-name as seen in export_descr_unit.txt (or EDU), found in the data-folder as well.
    Example:
    Code:
    type             High Sword
    dictionary       High_Sword      ; Sword Quendi
    category         infantry
    (...)
    TATW's EDU is quite nice because it give the ingame name after the semi-colon. So we know that High Sword = Sword Quendi. That is the High Elves first melee unit.
    As you could see in the EDB within brackets it said the faction who could recruit this unit is egypt. High Elves = egypt. Factions actual name you can check at the top of expanded.txt in the folder data/text, but you should not need this but the EDU should suffice.

So, say that you edited the example edit of the EDB from 0.12 in forests to 0.5 (a new unit avilable every second turn) and saved. Good, now HE can spam Sword Quendi-units! But only from the Town Watch-barrack. There are four more barrack-buildings you must edit if you do not only wanted to change the pool for High Sword in the Town Watch: town_guard, city_watch, militia_drill_square and militia_barracks.
    And when you done that, that only edited the barracks in city-settlements.
    For castle-settlements there are four more buildings (mustering_hall, garrison_quarters, drill_square barracks and armoury, the last you may drop as only Sicily/Gondor can build it), and in each the High Sword has three entries.
    So, if you want to edit the pool for High Sword in all terrains and in all barracks you have to edit the numbers in up to three lines in total 9 buildings.

For cavalry there are three buildings for city and castles each, o in total six buildings.
    Same for missile-buildings.

Note: do not edit any file before you backed it up first.

Any questions that arise, please bring them here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nd-Help-Thread
    Last edited by Ngugi; October 22, 2015 at 11:55 AM.

Awesome, Thanks!
    Yeah, I noticed how much code it is, so I just changed the faction I'm playing as. I'll change them a little more as I go.

But gah, there's so much code. It must have taken a long time to make this mod!

As with any large mod: years

So Im having issues playing with Isengard faction and some units in mordor, how would one remove any new skins or specific units from MOS, as third age 2.1 works just fine but Isengard in MOS doesnt work on battle.. also, how would one remove the new armor from the high elves and replace it with the old armor from TATW 2.1. I liked the gold look much better then these silver look alikes. Silven elves shuld silver not high elves. Finally how would one remove these stupid cutt scene video's of the enemy general falling or breaking through a wall.. I would b in the middle of a vital instruction when suddenly cutt scene general dead.. IDC!! The mini popup in the corner is enough for me I dont want to watch every time.