Thread: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

I think it decreases morale too, not sure about the offensive or defensive stats though.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

furthermore, when the unit goes red in the state (if I remember correctly Tired, Very Tired and Exausted) they can't charge
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by wohnzimmer View Post
    What exactly are the effects of the loss of stamina? How does it effect the morale, attack, defence? I'm only sure about that the units get slower.
    Fresh->warmed up->winded->tired->very tired->exhausted
    At Winded I cannot determine it, possibly there is penalty but it seems to be very low, bearly noticable.
    At Tired level units receive attack and defence penalty, based on my play tests it seems to be roughly 15 % - is it true? I don't know, It's my estimate so don't rely on it. Charge bonus seems to be still in action
    At Very tired penalty is increased around 30%, charge penalty is applied.
    At Exhausted unit completly looses charge momentum, penalty seems to be 45%. Unit receive morale penalty (that can be offset with good general with lots of stars).
    Also the higher tiredness level the longer it takes to recuperate, and with each level regiment looses stamina even faster but that is obvious.
    Last edited by zax; August 02, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

Do the ballista towers actually work in TATW? Most of the settlements aren't advanced enough to build them, but the ones that are tend to be custom settlements, and I don't think the towers actually show up on the battle map. Is there any point to building ballista towers, or is it just a waste of money and turn time?

Mank's Avatar Dormouse of Hader

They do sometimes help, but as a rule of thumb if you're not just rolling in money they aren't worth it. (And you are correct, in many custom settlements they are actually not functional)

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

I personally don't bother with building them.
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

So don't even try unless it's a regular settlement?

even in regular settlements I find theyre not worth the money or turns.
    It's not a question of where it grips it. It's a simple questions of weight ratios; a five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    And you are correct, in many custom settlements they are actually not functional
    i will admit to forgetting ever time i play a long campaign ..

and honestly i would prefer more of the standard wall defences because those rock

HHECTOR's Avatar Libertus

Hi guys, I have just little question. I have problem to recruit Rohan Spearmen in campaign, but in custom battles this unit is avaible. Can you help me please?

Default Is there any way to toggle the FOW so that only settlement locations appear?

I feel like I am wasting too many turns trying to find the next settlement to attack. I want to know where to send my troops, but at the same time
    I don't want to cheat by knowing the size and location of my foe's armies. If there is no way to do this in-game, is there a map with settlement locations someone could direct me towards? Thanks in advance!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Is there any way to toggle the FOW so that only settlement locations appear?

Quote Originally Posted by Gmoney39513 View Post
    I feel like I am wasting too many turns trying to find the next settlement to attack. I want to know where to send my troops, but at the same time
    I don't want to cheat by knowing the size and location of my foe's armies. If there is no way to do this in-game, is there a map with settlement locations someone could direct me towards? Thanks in advance!
    No, not AFAIK at least, you'll have to check off-game maps to avoid to see no enemy armies
    I don't know one for 3.2 but here is one for 3.1 (black dots are the cities/keeps)
    http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...ATW31map-1.png
    Maybe one or two regions is not present but I think all is there, beside South Tharbad apperently

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HHECTOR View Post
    Hi guys, I have just little question. I have problem to recruit Rohan Spearmen in campaign, but in custom battles this unit is avaible. Can you help me please?
    if they are not there I suppose they are not available for recruitment.. may they be Rohan Militia? I've not used plain TATW since months, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Gmoney39513 View Post
    why not using spies? it gives information about enemy stacks of course, but is completely legit.

another way, you can buy map information from your enemies, this will show you where their settlements are

finally, you can use toggle_fow at the beginning of a campaign, make a screen and print it and put by hands on the paper where each settlement is located. you need to do this only once and you'll have your own map.

hope it helps

Last edited by Flinn; July 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I can only think that either you don't hve the required building or the barracks event hasn't occured yet. I don't see why a unit's name would be different for a campaign and a custom battle.

Rohan spearmen are unavailable in export_descr_buildings.txt, you must add them manually to the file to have them in campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Rohan spearmen are unavailable in export_descr_buildings.txt, you must add them manually to the file to have them in campaign.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I edit that text file and work fine, big thanks!

I'm in turn 46 (playing as Gondor) and there has not been an invasion yet, I do control Barad Dur and its surrounding settlements. Is it possible that invasions only appear if Mordor is still in control of Barad Dur?

Turn 46 and you controll Barad Dur?..lmao...which version of the game are you playing and what difficulty level?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by YassirX View Post
    I'm in turn 46 (playing as Gondor) and there has not been an invasion yet, I do control Barad Dur and its surrounding settlements. Is it possible that invasions only appear if Mordor is still in control of Barad Dur?
    No, Invasions are tied to the apperance of Sauron [a.k.a the Pope, not the unit] which occurs at a random chance after turn... something, turn 40? Not by my computer right now so can't check the scripts
    Last edited by Ngugi; August 02, 2013 at 03:47 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory