Page 8 of 167 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

Default Huge unit size cannot be changed... 9 Balrogs... 3 Saurons

Is there any way to change the unit size normally in Game Options using TATW 3.2? I'm in the middle of a campaign on huge and while 3 Saurons per unit is cool to look at it's spoiling my immersion a bit. I change it and save settings but when I load campaign everything is still huge.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

You have to start a new campaign for the change to take effect. Also, there will still be multiple Saurons and Balrogs. For some reasons the single Sauron/Balrog feature is bugged.

I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but I can't remove the Garrison Script. In fact, I can't change any scripts despite using the steps shown in the FAQ. I have 3.2, and "access is denied" everytime I try to save the changed file. What am I doing wrong?

Are you by any chance using Windows 7 or Vsita? If so, disable UAC.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=360880

Jeez thats a lot of work But thanks!

EDIT: It still didn't work. Notepad won't let me save the changes :/
    Last edited by LuckyPistol; September 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM.

Did you do this?

a. Win 7 - Press Start, write "UAC" in search window, "Change User Account Control settings" should be found - click it.
    Move the slider downwards to "never notify" position.
    b. Vista - Try Win 7 method, but untick "Use User Account Control..."; alternatively you can go to main User Accounts page in Control Panel, click "Change Security Settings" and then untick beforementioned element.
    c. Press "OK".

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

That's not enough sometimes. I had to change the owner from Administrator to User when I installed M2TW and all my mods on my laptop.

You right click on either your M2TW folder, or your TATW one, depending on if you want to mod vanilla too. Then click on Security, and Advanced Settings. Go to Owner and change from whatever is there to your own User.

After this go back to Security, edit and allow everything for User
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Yes, that's another way to do it if you want to just do it for a certain folder. There's a guide on that here. Dragging the slider all the way to the bottom as I suggested above will turn off UAC and is the easiest and quickest way.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

It doesn't always apply for all folders
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

It's system wide. It should apply to all folders unless you don't have administrator rights to begin with. It should be noted you have to be an administrator to turn it off. it should also be noted that you need to restart you computer for the changes to take effect.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...trol-on-or-off
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Hi! I've some questions
    1. What about trade goods?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Igor85 View Post
    Hi! I've some questions
    1. What about trade goods?
    Hello Igor85
    Yes, what do you wonder about it?
    It increses the money (profit) you make on trade
    Last edited by Ngugi; September 20, 2012 at 08:29 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

sorry... klicked accidential enter

to 1. What about trade goods? In M2TW there are merchants, in TATW not. Does this mean you gain trade rewars (if u have trade rights to other realms), if you only have the provinces in which the trade goods are?

2. I have big money problems. Don't have big armies, but nevertheless. If I increase taxes, my cities don't grow, so there are no new buildings and this mean -> stagnation. Otherwise I can't affort to build new buildings because of less money. So how can I improve my income? I know Trade rights and econonmy buildings, are there other options?

Either I have money problems or my population isn't growing. In any case most of my cities there aren't new buildings or units (only militia,... ) possible. So I have to reduce taxes, but then I have no money. U understand my situation?^^

3. Can it be that dwarves aren't that good melee fighters? The Elves units are much more powerful, a little bit overpowered I guess. Furthermore dwarves are evry boring, because they only have axe throwers in the beginning = mostly useless.

4. Some cities are rebuild after the movie, for example Imladris. But I often have big problems to play on these maps. For example Imladris... the enemy can't go over the bridge and so he does nothing. My elf units also can't move on most of the terrain and it's hard to make a good formation. Is this buggy or what can I do?

Thanks for information!

kraxmause's Avatar Semisalis

sorry... klicked accidential enter

to 1. What about trade goods? In M2TW there are merchants, in TATW not. Does this mean you gain trade rewars (if u have trade rights to other realms), if you only have the provinces in which the trade goods are?

Exactly, that's how it works.

2. I have big money problems. Don't have big armies, but nevertheless. If I increase taxes, my cities don't grow, so there are no new buildings and this mean -> stagnation. Otherwise I can't affort to build new buildings because of less money. So how can I improve my income? I know Trade rights and econonmy buildings, are there other options?

Either I have money problems or my population isn't growing. In any case most of my cities there aren't new buildings or units (only militia,... ) possible. So I have to reduce taxes, but then I have no money. U understand my situation?^^

In TATW you can't just stay in your starting territories, you need to expand. Most factions have a few rebel regions near them, those are the ones you should take first. Only a few extra settlements and you will notice cash flowing into your treasuries. After that, it's about taking them from your foes obviously. Keep the taxes low everywhere, you need more population which will give you more income in the long run.

3. Can it be that dwarves aren't that good melee fighters? The Elves units are much more powerful, a little bit overpowered I guess. Furthermore dwarves are evry boring, because they only have axe throwers in the beginning = mostly useless.

So what? Elves are immortal, they're supposed to be the best fighters in Middle Earth. Dwarves are very powerful, too. Nearly all of their units are AP which gives them a big advantage over their foes' end game units. The Dwarven Axe Throwers are very good units, although they're not exactly skirmishers (much too slow for that). Keep them on your flanks, once the enemy is in melee with your infantry, move them on their flank or behind them, let them throw their axes and watch the enemy crumble.

4. Some cities are rebuild after the movie, for example Imladris. But I often have big problems to play on these maps. For example Imladris... the enemy can't go over the bridge and so he does nothing. My elf units also can't move on most of the terrain and it's hard to make a good formation. Is this buggy or what can I do?

Yes, some custom settlements have these problems, for example I always found it easy to defend Cair Andros before 3.2, now that it's a custom settlement I have trouble holding it. I'm afraid the only thing you can do to move your troops more effectively in those narrow settlements is smaller unit scale.

Thanks for information!
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade
    Dig out a house that's quite like a grave
    And should your neighbour not return your wave

A.R.R.R. Roberts - The Soddit

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

2. Also prepare to play 10-25 turns before you make money, so invest carefully when the campaign start.
    Build roads, farms and mines - do not build markets, they pay off bad. Set taxes to low and let the time work in your favour. This though require another consideration: army.
    Recrute only as many soldiers you think you need to stay alive and offensive. Remember Hannibal Barca managed 15 years of warfare in Italy against Rome with only one reinforcment, so you should manage some 20 turns before you can pump up the army hehe. Make maximum use of your troops till you taken settlements and your buildings and population growth together created a good base for the economy

3. The game is well balanced when it comes to this. The best idea with Dwarves is to always get into settlement-fights and avoid battle out in the wilds. In tight quarters their infantry is the greatest bulldozer in TATW

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    It's system wide. It should apply to all folders unless you don't have administrator rights to begin with. It should be noted you have to be an administrator to turn it off. it should also be noted that you need to restart you computer for the changes to take effect.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...trol-on-or-off
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

I did not do that! xD I restarted and it worked, thanks for your help!

Thanks for your advice, but I have some futher questions,...

1. I've checked up the settlement details and there it is said that my corrupty is bigger than my tax income. In nearly every village. What can I do against this? I mean, I play high elves...corrupty??

2. I have only one leader/general in every village, no troops at all. Only a 5 unit card army in each case in the south and east of my realm. That is all. I only built buildings u said above in this thread. I have trade rights even with the Orks and Isengard. Nevertheless my income is swinging between -200 and +200 (depends on army movement). With this income I need 30 rounds to build one building in ONE village, granted that I have no troop losses to compensate,...

3. Can I see the trade income with each other race/realm? I think some of my trade rights with other nations have no positive effect. How's that?

4. In my current game my income is swinging between -200 and +200 (as I said). But suddenly I had -900, although I haven't built any new troops or buildings, no troop movements, no riots and not battles. How can this be?

5. By capturing new villages I don't get any money when I loot them. Why is that?

Thanks again.

kraxmause's Avatar Semisalis

Ah, the dreaded High Elves economy...
    Looks like you need to learn the basics, take a look at this High Elves guide: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=561003

1. You start with Imladris as your capital, which is far away from your other cities, resulting in high corruption. Move your capital to Mithlond after constructing the basic buildings (it costs 5000 gold).

2. Only expand in the west, defend Imladris until your economy can take two armies. In the beginning there's no need for governors in your settlements (they are way too small for a governor to make a big difference), use them as generals/refilling cavalry in battles, the High Elves have one of the best bodyguard units. Keep a single free upkeep unit in your settlements (and maybe Cirdan in Mithlond), build a single army and move down the coast, taking every rebel settlement on your way.
    Sooner or later you'll have the money to afford a war in the east.

3. You can only trade with bordering settlements (except for sea trade), so you won't profit from trade rights with e.g. Rhûn. Look at your settlement details, next to the "switch capital" button you can check how much money you're making through trade with which settlement.

4. No idea, sometimes it differs but it will usually come back to normal.

5. In the beginning nearly all settlements are very small, when you sack large cities you'll get much more.
    Last edited by kraxmause; September 20, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
    Dig out a house that's quite like a grave
    And should your neighbour not return your wave

A.R.R.R. Roberts - The Soddit

AHHHH! Thanks a lot!

One more (silly) thing (sorry): More food production means faster village growth?

Argh, okay, again one more: If I have no governors in the cities, they are auto-managed, right? Which option should I use? Concentrate on growth?
    Last edited by Mhaedros; September 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: double post

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

AHHHH! Thanks a lot!

One more (silly) thing (sorry): More food production means faster village growth?
    Yup

Argh, okay, again one more: If I have no governors in the cities, they are auto-managed, right? Which option should I use? Concentrate on growth?
    Not necessarily, this is an option when you start the campaign but it's normally deactivated.