Page 1 of 167 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Icon2 Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

Welcome all inquisitive Third Age Fans

As we constantly get a lot of new threads asking a simple question about Third Age, questions which can be easily answered, are already listed in the FAQs or have been asked 1000 times already - we have this Question & Answer Thread for everyone to post his or her question concerning Third Age.

Please note:
    This is not a discussion thread and everybody would prefer if asked questions could be answered in 1 or only a few posts!

The thread is not about modding, bugs and technical help.
    Questions or discussions regarding Tolkien can be places in the Tolkien General Discussion.
    Bug reports go here, suggestions in the Suggestions thread and information about factions can be found here.

The old 'Ask Questions about Third Age Thread' has been closed and replaced due to side policy since it exceeded a certain size.
    Before you ask your question(s) please check the "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQs) first - 80% of all questions people have are already answered there.

Ask all other & further questions here
    Last edited by Ngugi; August 12, 2013 at 05:38 AM.

Default Re: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

Wow

Also maybe sticky this thread so it can't fall off the front page?
    In it for the rep.

Bowmaster's Avatar Biarchus

About time that a new thread about this is made.

Rep+, MBA, even though you don't need any more.

And here comes the very first question of the New Ask Questions-thread(Ngugi's can't be counted): Does a high generals Dread lower the amount of population growth in a settlement?
    Last edited by Bowmaster; August 28, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
    (yeah, yeah, I'm fin player of TATW 3.2...

In Memoriam: Blackomur89

Save MERP and TATW!

No it does not.
    In it for the rep.

Which factions get an "environmental" recruitment pool bonus, like Dwarves in the mountains and Silvans in the forest?

Related question: as the Dwarves, I've taken Lune Land and the province east of it (with Nenuial or something), and I'm noticing more and more that it's a waste to try to hold it against the orcs as the growth is superslow and I can only recruit one unit at once. Yes, I can reinforce from the mountains but I want those troops for the war. Should I give those two lands to Eriador which are doing absolutely nothing against the orcs on this front?

On the east, I've gone as far as Gundabad and it's looking pretty good. Not so on the west with all those blasted plains in between.

MORDOR 3.2 GUIDE
    System specs for future reference: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel Core i5-3450 3.1 GHz, RAM 8 GB, GeForce GT530 2 GB, HDD 1 TB, everything else ASUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaeron View Post
    Which factions get an "environmental" recruitment pool bonus, like Dwarves in the mountains and Silvans in the forest?

Related question: as the Dwarves, I've taken Lune Land and the province east of it (with Nenuial or something), and I'm noticing more and more that it's a waste to try to hold it against the orcs as the growth is superslow and I can only recruit one unit at once. Yes, I can reinforce from the mountains but I want those troops for the war. Should I give those two lands to Eriador which are doing absolutely nothing against the orcs on this front?

On the east, I've gone as far as Gundabad and it's looking pretty good. Not so on the west with all those blasted plains in between.
    Every faction has a favored terrain related to the predominant race: For elves it is forest regions, for dwarves and orcs mountains, for humans grassland.

As for the giving away regions for defensive purposes, it can generally be a good tactic, but Eriador usually doesn't fare too good against the orcs and usually gets crushed sooner or later. If you already reached Gundabad, shouldn't the orcs be pretty much finished anyway soon (at least the Gundabad orcs)?

Right click one of your barracks. It will say somewhere 'Dwarven barracks are most productive in mountainous regions'. You can check the regiontype by right clicking the book that every settlement has.

Yeah the western Dwarven settlements are kind of useless IMO. You should only use them if you want to play an immersive campaign. You could grow Thorin's Halls so you can actually recruit stuff but it takes a long time.

I like to keep them and hunt Orcs though. But gifting/selling them isn't a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes Trismegistos View Post
    Every faction has a favored terrain related to the predominant race: For elves it is forest regions, for dwarves and orcs mountains, for humans grassland.
    Evil men favor desert regions. Isengard has higher productivity on grassland than other Orcish factions.
    It would be nice if someone could find the text that shows the multipliers.
    Last edited by Wizad; August 28, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
    In it for the rep.

yh glad to see a new fresh thread for questions
    my question: Aragorn killed during a battle, serving me (Gondor) . Can i "revive" him somehow or he is gone?

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

He is gone, he's not special to the game, is treated like a normal general and like every other general that runs himself into a pikewall and fails he won't come back (unless you script something of course).

ohh damn the return of the king will never happen

I took those plains with the rationale that if I took them the Orcs wouldn't have them, but I think they can now. I dare them to fight me on my own turf to the west, Eriador can sink or swim. I am at Gundabad but they still have Carn Dum, that little castle west of Gundabad, and Gram with quite a bit of troops running around while I get more and more depleted. I'll see if I can reinforce from the east or if I'll just have to wait for a while.

And every faction having a favored terrain sounds nicely balanced.

MORDOR 3.2 GUIDE
    System specs for future reference: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel Core i5-3450 3.1 GHz, RAM 8 GB, GeForce GT530 2 GB, HDD 1 TB, everything else ASUS.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Actually Rhun has a bonus there, cause they favor both desert and grassland, which makes it pretty easy for them to occupy Dale, Gondor and Rohan, but if a good faction takes Rhun they'll have lots of problems trying to hold it
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizad View Post
    It would be nice if someone could find the text that shows the multipliers (for region types and replenishment rates).
    In it for the rep.

Are the replenishment rates are twice as fast in a faction's preferred regions?

|
    v Ah, ok. Cut unnecessary stuff from post.
    Last edited by Alaeron; August 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM.

MORDOR 3.2 GUIDE

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

This thread is for questions and answers, not threadmaking
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Are the replenishment rates are twice as fast in a faction's preferred regions?
    Well some factions recruit faster in certain areas. Some need fertile soil to recruit a lot of troops whilst other are ok with just average soil. But yes, replenishment will work faster in preferred regions, that is what I have experienced.

my ringbearer general became rebel and he hasnt move from then. Also no messege appear to me that i lost the ring and the location with the ringbearer (he is on my region but game shouldnt send me a messege ?) is that right or some bug?

The prefered region only refers to replenishment rates as far as I know.
    Also different regions give different replenishment rates.

It's not like there is 1 regiontype that gives 100% and the rest gives 50%. Elves get 100% from forests, I think 75% from grassland, and 50% from mountainous.

It would be nice if someone could post the correct multipliers.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Defender View Post
    my ringbearer general became rebel and he hasnt move from then. Also no messege appear to me that i lost the ring and the location with the ringbearer (he is on my region but game shouldnt send me a messege ?) is that right or some bug?
    Never occured to me that this could happen, it may well be a bug.
    Last edited by StealthFox; August 29, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
    In it for the rep.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Wizad View Post
    The prefered region only refers to replenishment rates as far as I know.
    Also different regions give different replenishment rates.

It's not like there is 1 regiontype that gives 100% and the rest gives 50%. Elves get 100% from forests, I think 75% from grassland, and 50% from mountainous.

It would be nice if someone could post the correct multipliers.
    This is recorded in the EDB (with Dunland added as this one is from MOS but vanilla has rest the same), for users to read and keep track on I presume while I ain't sure where it's coded to kick in:
    ;------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;--- Unit availability --------------------------------------------------
    ;------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;Elves
    ;1.0 and hidden_resource forest
    ;0.5 and hidden_resource grasland
    ;0.25 and hidden_resource mountains or hidden_resource desert
    ;
    ;Dwarves
    ;1.0 and hidden_resource mountains
    ;0.33 and hidden_resource forest or hidden_resource grasland
    ;0.25 and hidden_resource desert
    ;
    ;Humans
    ;1.0 and hidden_resource grasland
    ;0.5 and hidden_resource forest
    ;0.25 and hidden_resource desert or hidden_resource mountains
    ;
    ;Humans evil
    ;1.0 and hidden_resource desert or hidden_resource grasland
    ;0.5 and hidden_resource forest or hidden_resource mountains
    ;
    ;Evil
    ;1.0 and hidden_resource mountains
    ;0.75 and hidden_resource grasland
    ;0.5 and hidden_resource forest or hidden_resource desert
    ;
    ;Dunlendings
    ;1.0 and hidden_resource grasland or hidden_resource mountains
    ;0.5 and hidden_resource forest or hidden_resource desert

[For the record I had the first post after the OP; while removed by a Judge Moderator haha, but now I can post according to The Law ^^]
    Last edited by Ngugi; August 29, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

+rep to Ngugi

Evil men have the same replenishment rate in grasslands as in the desert? When I played Rhun, I thought I had a lower replenishment rate in grassland.
    Also how about Isengard, the Isengard buildings mention mountainous and forested areas.
    Last edited by StealthFox; August 29, 2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Double Post
    In it for the rep.