Thread: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

Just says it has been blocked containing harmful files. Though on the modDB page it says hackers has corrupted files on the page.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Huh, that's another matter :S

You an use the torrent?

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Huh, that's another matter :S

You an use the torrent?
    Probably best not to as it is a work computer ;-)

Sleep well guys. Good to "see old faces".

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Hi! Does the untrained units spend money? I am at turn 120, I have no more money (-70000), no army (I have conquered a lot with the available one) and i still have about 10000 army upkeep, but the question is witch army?

No, only units you recruited cost upkeep. What you describe sounds quite incredible, even if you have not developed your economy whatsoever.
    What faction do you play ? The only one I can image end up like that is Free Peoples of Eriador after Arnor is reformed - unless you have expanded as whatever faction and not built cultural buildings in any settlemts, so you never get any free upkeeps.
    Are the units you have in your army very expensive units (since it's units who cost, not armies)?
    Do you play with a submod installed?

Coxy's Avatar Miles

Hi guys

I've always played Third Age via my CD copy of Kingdoms - however I now have a new PC that doesn't have a CD drive so I've bought Kingdoms via Steam instead. I've noticed in the installation thread it says you can install and play the mod even if you use Steam which is great...but I just wondered if there would be any differences to the mod if I play via Steam? Thanks

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

The mod is exactly the same, the only difference is where you install it. The are instructions on the installation thread.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Icon6 Re: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

No, only units you recruited cost upkeep. What you describe sounds quite incredible, even if you have not developed your economy whatsoever.
    What faction do you play ? The only one I can image end up like that is Free Peoples of Eriador after Arnor is reformed - unless you have expanded as whatever faction and not built cultural buildings in any settlemts, so you never get any free upkeeps.
    Are the units you have in your army very expensive units (since it's units who cost, not armies)?
    Do you play with a submod installed?
    I play with Dwarves. I didn't build cultural buildings, only Mines, Roads, Markets, Baracks and other army buildings. I have started again anyway, and it's working well so far, but it's only turn 20 :p
    But i did understand from your post that cultural buildings are important, so I will try to remember that.
    Does anyone know a tipp how to lose less money when you move a massive army (like 10 units from Erebor towards Carn Dum)? I found monwz the biggest problem so I don't think I would plaz anz other faction yet, till I figure it up.
    I don't have any submod installed yet.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Younis View Post
    cultural buildings are important
    Really, really important. Without them your culture won't grow, so you won't be able to recruit higher level units in that settlement.

Once they're in the field there's no way to reduce how much an army costs you. Forts give some free upkeep, so spending a turn end in a fort instead of in the open will help. But only if there's a fort on the way to where you're going of course - and there aren't many forts in the game. Cheaper/fewer units is the only answer really, and making more money from your settlements to help pay for their upkeep.

Icon12 Re: Official 'Third Age 1.0 - 3.2 Question & Answer' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Really, really important. Without them your culture won't grow, so you won't be able to recruit higher level units in that settlement.

Once they're in the field there's no way to reduce how much an army costs you. Forts give some free upkeep, so spending a turn end in a fort instead of in the open will help. But only if there's a fort on the way to where you're going of course - and there aren't many forts in the game. Cheaper/fewer units is the only answer really, and making more money from your settlements to help pay for their upkeep.
    Thanks! The dwarves will be more cultivated from now on!

Icon5 The One Ring and NPC-factions

I'm gonna' keep this a little brief, as I'm sure you all have wars to get back to. I've been playing my campaign for about 30 hours now, and after a few wrestling matches back and forth, I managed to get a hold of the The One Ring.

After deciding to be a good little dwarf and take the ring to the elven council I was offered the """opportunity""" to take the ring to Mordor.

Now, I personally don't care about the ring, but I'd really rather not have it end in enemy hands, obviously.

My question is, can the NPC-factions be trusted to get this done?

Like, if I hand away the ring, will they be clever enough to actually get it to Mordor? I'm sure it doesn't have a 100% chance to go perfectly (wouldn't make sense if it did) but will they do a semi-competent job?

Also, how major is the reputation penalty with all the good factions if I turn it down?

No, the Ring remain in your posession if you go to the White Council and accept the quest, for you to invade Mordor and cast It into Mr Doom; you do not give the Ring away.

You get a significant penalty, but can't see in the script that it break alliances, so it should be of little consequence for allied factions, and of no long term significance for non-allied godo factions (as far as I can tell, scripts ain't my territory, and folks usually try to solve the quest; never read any reports it proved dreadful if someone declined).

No, the Ring remain in your posession if you go to the White Council and accept the quest, for you to invade Mordor and cast It into Mr Doom; you do not give the Ring away.

You get a significant penalty, but can't see in the script that it break alliances, so it should be of little consequence for allied factions, and of no long term significance for non-allied godo factions (as far as I can tell, scripts ain't my territory, and folks usually try to solve the quest; never read any reports it proved dreadful if someone declined).
    Thanks for the answer! That being said though (I might have read it wrong but), will no one take the One Ring to Mordor unless I decide to do it?

Re-reading the quest I realized that if I decline (and I did, mind you), I noticed that the council would "hide the it away", not actually take it themselves.

Another ring-related question: what happens if I do somehow get it to Mordor? Like if I cast it in to the fire, does Mordor disbandon? Or am I just "permanently" removing whatever advantage they could have had from getting the ring? What happens if Mordor does get the ring?

No, they will only be annoyed at you because you have the Ring but won't simply walk into Mordor

If you cast it into the fire, the faction Mordor is destroyed + you prevent further Invasions.
    If you do not get the Ring and hold on to it or destroy it, after a couple of times when the Ring appeared in different settlements, it "ends up in Mordor". Sauron emerge as a general for Mordor, with a lot of nasty troops to conquer Middle-earth himself.

Hi! I have looked at videos with battles of TATW and the sieged cities looked total different from what I have conquered? Is there a submod for that? I don't have anz submods installed yet! The sieged cities looks almost the same! I mean Gundabad, Carn Dum or Goblin Town should look different, not some banal cities with nothing spectacoulous, right?

Nope. Only if you use submods that change them, as they're later creations than TATW 3.2.

Additional custom settlements comes from the Alternative Patch-submod, but can also be found in MOS and DaC:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...MN-FAQ-PLEASE)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...sed-25-08-2015
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-0-52-Released

Tarkus2.0's Avatar Laetus

Hi all,

Probably a silly question but just to make sure: Is there a main script that one must activate at the beginning of each TATW gaming session, as was required for other TW mods such as Europa Barbarorum?
    I can't confirm this one way or the other in any of the thread posted here...
    Thanks for the info!

Hello Tarkus2.0, welcome to TWC

No, no script, but honestly I don't know exactly what you're thinking about with that...?

Tarkus2.0's Avatar Laetus

Hello Tarkus2.0, welcome to TWC

No, no script, but honestly I don't know exactly what you're thinking about with that...?
    Thanks for the welcome, Ngugi...old Org member, new to the official TWC community.
    Sorry for the confusion. In the old implementation of EB, the campaign script had to be manually activated by the player at the beginning of the campaign and every time you fired up the game after that. You clicked on any one of your cities and the Advisor would pop up, telling you to click the "Show Me How" button to activate the script. Without doing this, you were basically playing vanilla Rome:TW. Perhaps old technology / code implementation, but that's what was necessary.
    I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some variant of this step that was required to play TATW. I didn't think so, but wanted to be sure.
    Thanks again!