Thread: Varangians

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

Default Varangians

noticed several fundamental facts about the role of the varangians and their relationship with the greek empire; that they served as the emperor's personal bodyguard, that they fought in very small units, that they were mercenaries who originated from from or arrived from Kievan russia and that they were noted for a frightening appearance, lack of care over injury and fought recklessly. Based on these facts, they could be accurately implimented in the following was, but maybe not all of them; as a bodyguard unit of the emperor, being slightly better then other bodyguard units, as mercenaries available in thrace on the condition that you maintain good relations with Kiev as an infantry unit they would probably deserve double hit points like the naked fanatics in EB did, as a contemporary "barbarian" force they should get the same treatment. Now, I know the beserker trait seems to have been coded out but they should still frighten nearby infantry.
    Considering the reputation this mod has earned for quality and the doubtless polish the final product will have I just wanna put this out there...
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994

Default Re: Varangians

During the time that the mod represents, I don't think that the Eastern Romans relied on Kiev for their supply of Varangians. One of the most famous varangians, Harold Harldrada, was not sold through Kiev to Constantinople. I do agree with everything else though.
    'Sup Gentlemen...
    "Militant" Atheist (Just kidding)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGMqKCcN6A
    My Political Profile http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=8819965#post8819965

The Byzantine Empire never relied on Kiev for its supply of Varangians. It's a misconception that revolves around the word Varangian and translations from the Greek sources, as well as misuse of the word by those same Greek sources. Varangoi, Varangian, or any other variant, is used in many ways, from specifically describing the Emperor's personal bodyguard to applying to all North European mercenaries in the army, even as broadly as all people the Greeks saw as living in Russia in the 7th-10th centuries.

What is definitively known is that Basil II recieved a force of 6000 mercenaries from Kiev, and they were counted among his finest soldiers. Those 6000 soldiers were actually Swedes sent to aid Kiev in a time of need, but were at the time causing trouble in the city, so they were sent on to Byzantium as a 'gift'. They proved themselves capable soldiers, and Basil relied upon them quite often in a variety of roles.

Ethnically Norse mercenaries were used before this, primarily as marines, but the success enjoyed by Basil II resulted in a drastic increase of Scandinavian mercenaries, and the demand was great enough that Norse-related peoples such as Normans and Saxons were drawn into Byzantine service. These foreign mercenaries often decided to settle within Byzantuim and intermarry, and their children were considered select warriors and quite valuable. A word applied to these half-Greek, half-foreign men was Pelekyphoroi (pardon the spelling). The word itself is related to the Greek word for axe, and is often used in conjunction with other terms.

Other Byzantine specific mods have done an excellent job of reflecting the facts of mercenary inclusion in the Byzantine military. Look to them for further details on this.

P.S.: To the Mod team - This post was more for the original poster than yourselves. I'm sure your researchers are aware of the facts.
    Last edited by Jariik; April 07, 2009 at 08:56 PM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Kievans and Novgorod vikings(Rus)were Swedishthat is a fact!
    In early times of the foundation of those two principalities slavic people were just the peseantry of those lands!
    The drusina of those 6000 warriors were Swedish just becaouse the rest of the Kievan viking warriors of that state were Swedish!
    Things started to change when a permanent unit of that nature had to be established!
    Viking warriors from Kiev,Novgorod,Danes,Sweeden and Norway came in order to receive high sallaries and glory(see the gravestones in scandinavia of warriors that had been writen on them "he faught in the lands of greeks"!
    An other sourse of "Varangians" were the saxon huscarls that had no were else to go after 1066!!!
    They even braught their famillies in the Empire and joined the Varangian Guard...DotS has CBUR's varangian unit...
    In the following pic you can see the viking and saxon origin of those warriors by their shields!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

sirfiggin's Avatar Senator

they look awesome
    The Duke of Dunwich and surrounding fiefdom

For any who are interested by my FF on occurrences in Rhun and beyond; I have begun a new project (not because the old one is finished, just opening more room for ideas) about one of the minor characters, Rankal. It is in the Third Age AAR index and here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=376994