Thread: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

Default Re: EB-Twitter updates Discussion

you sure you are in the correct forums?

a yes this is were you should be http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...ral-Discussion

I love those Sweboz pikemen! They're cutie pies!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by HarkonRules View Post
    I love those Sweboz pikemen! They're cutie pies!
    Agreed, they look awesome! I especially love the shields on their backs. However, is this purely historical, or rather one of those things in EB II where it's a "could have happened" scenario should the Sweboz adopt new military tactics over the course of the 3rd to 1st centuries BC? Did the Sweboz really adopt Hellenistic-style phalanx formations like this? Is there a scholarly source that backs this up? If not, that's cool, I'm not actually complaining, just curious and would love to know the truth of the matter if anyone can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by excubitor View Post
    you sure you are in the correct forums?

a yes this is were you should be http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...ral-Discussion
    What? I can't tell if you're trying to insult me or just making odd and irrelevant suggestions.

alin's Avatar Campidoctor

It's not a phalanx formation, it's a shield wall and we don't invent stuff for the sake of it.
    There are portrayals of them using shield wall formations in the later periods:

The Speutagardaz ("Pike-fence") is a unit of hard-nosed, disciplined warriors that fight together in a very dense formation, unlike most other Germanic warbands. During their years of constant battle with hostile nations, they've developed new strategies for combat and defense, and learned early to form an impenetrable burdahagon ("shield-wall") to repel their attackers. Their chosen weapon, the speutan (pike) is a deadly and intimidating weapon with a long spearhead, which makes these warriors capable of punching through almost any type armor from great distances, and are universally feared for their abilities against cavalry formations.

Historically, the Speutagardaz naturally developed through native innovation as spear and shield tactics were refined. Their pikes were adapted to the armor and the cavalry tactics of numerous enemies. They array their spears and shields in a "fence"-like forest of death, supplying them perfect protection as their strong pikes reach out and menace the approaching forces. The Germanic pike (speutan) was a deadly weapon with a long, 40 to 45 cm spearhead. In texts of historical warfare, they are always called 'enormous' or 'over-long' (prealonga hastas).

Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    It's not a phalanx formation, it's a shield wall and we don't invent stuff for the sake of it.
    There are portrayals of them using shield wall formations in the later periods:
    Interesting! I've never heard of the speutan before. What sort of sources do you guys use for this stuff? Do you have access to academic databases like JSTOR to confirm this stuff with scholarly articles? Perhaps some members of the EB team have access to a library or own their own copies of books like the Cambridge University Press series on the history of warfare?

You should contact TheTank for more information on that.

I absolutely love those reworked North African units! They are beautiful - can't wait to see them in game!

Lovin these new african models! Awesome work team.

Elite, heavily armored Numidians for the win! FTW!

FOR THE WIN.

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

The new Goidelic nobles look awesome and all, but ehm... I believe they're using the non-pointy ends of their spears.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I guess they're MISSING THE POINT then, eh?

Cohors_Evocata can't take any responsibility for any annoyance caused by this lame and overused pun.
    But seriously, guys, awesome work on the new units.
    Last edited by Cohors_Evocata; August 03, 2015 at 11:53 AM.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

They are holding these for a throw, not a stab. You got it backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    They are holding these for a throw, not a stab. You got it backwards.
    I doubt many javelins used for throwing would have a pommel at the end, to me such an adaptation seems to be more useful in hand-to-hand combat (to help balance the spear). I might be wrong about this, though.

EDIT: Secondarily, the current EB animation for idle jav cav has them pointing their javelins down and point facing forward, not point facing down and backward as depicted above.
    Last edited by Cohors_Evocata; August 03, 2015 at 12:32 PM.
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Maybe those are stun-javelins.

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    Maybe those are stun-javelins.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goidelic nobles - marked.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	328372

If one looks closely at the picture, one can see there's a perfectly serviceable blade at the end of spear. Why not just throw the pointy end, which will likely do more damage?

As extra arguments against these being jav cav: the animation is still off, even if they were to throw blunted-head-first. Jav cav also usually carries an extra bundle of javelins into battle, which is not visible on this unit (the exceptions being AFAIK the Anatolian and Armenian cavalry, which afterwards use the same kind of spear they throw as melee weapons).

Should this be an attempt at trolling, at least have the decency to put some effort in.
    Last edited by Cohors_Evocata; August 03, 2015 at 01:25 PM.

My thanks in advance.

They're using overhand, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by alin View Post
    They're using overhand, that's why.
    Thanks for the answer alin, makes sense now.
    Last edited by Cohors_Evocata; August 03, 2015 at 04:37 PM.

My thanks in advance.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Some amazing previews at the eb twitter! Its been a long time since I checked there!

Two new skirmisher cav units previewed on twitter.

Dahae mounted skirmishers:

And Asiatikoi Hippakontistai:

Credits and thanks to Sylon for his work on these.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by EB facebook
    Correction and apology: the Asiatikoi Hippakontistai model was produced by justme, not Sylon.
    Thanks to justme as well.
    Last edited by Cohors_Evocata; August 06, 2015 at 05:40 PM.

My thanks in advance.

Nice work!
    Asiatikoi Hippakontistai where one of my favourite eastern units in EB1, it appears they will not be as versatile in EB2 (worst in melee due to lack of shield and less armour?) but its nice to see a comeback!

The new units look fantastic! Thank you justme and sylon! Thank you @Annubis88 for the constant twitter updates! They make my day! I have a question; do sylon and justme are new team memebers recruited after last appeal? If yes do they really work that fast?! I can't even image how many great units there will be in autumn updates! Especially asiatikoi hippeis look nice - I never used them in EB1 seems like it will change in EB2.
    EBII fan appeal: The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] is in dire need of YOUR HELP RIGHT NOW! - Dear modders, please get in touch HERE!

also:

JOIN PETITION OF REMOVING HARDCODED LIMITS

LET CA HEAR YOU !