Thread: Modding tools - what can they offer?

Default Modding tools - what can they offer?

Apologies I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the modding side of the game. We have heard that current modding is restricted due to the current lack of tools, but I'm curious to know what modding tools will actually bring to the table. Can these tools be used to adjust the AI, diplomacy, trade etc or are they more for asthetic alterations e.g creating new models, skins etc

Many thanks for any feedback

Default Re: Modding tools - what can they offer?

yeah im curious as to how different and more functional the CA modding tools are

pretorian's Avatar Civis

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234288

As You know, here You've all tools which can be use to mod our E:TW. With Pack File Manager You can merge some files into own modification (according to Your preferences). I prefer using Editor which can be use to change units stats or buildings. At the moment we have opportunity to increase gameplay. Sorry form my english, it's not good as I want to be

those are tools released by modder themselves. we mean CA released tools or thats what i mean. dont know about jimmy.

sgt_melin's Avatar Semisalis

I guess that the mod tool CA will relese, will not change anything that are hard coded, So that tool im just guessing , will only change stats, make new units and stuff like that,

Well....eventually depending on the modding community maybe CA will release modding tools that will allow importing/exporting models, creating own animations etc....but besides that....maybe even tools to create our own AIs for Campaigns or maybe even change trade etc....it would be rather useless to release tools that are already covered by Tools made by the modding community, don't you think. Also I strongly believe that CA is closely watching the modding community as it develops....see the tread with one CA dev....they will have to take into account that the modding community is strong for the Total War series...I HAVE HIGH hopes...which eventually might get shattered to pieces by CA let's wait and see

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

I'd like a huge editor including direct manipulation of the campaign map with as much possibility of manipulation as the GECK/TESCS have for the Bethesda games. But that's just wishful thinking there, I guess.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

In a FAQ or interview I do recall CA mentioning a powerful and easy campaign editor they had to develop to compensate for the size of the map and it's constant need for refinement.

Besides that I can imagine model converters, and that would be the obvious minimum. I can't wait to see what CA may have in store for us!

I hope I am wrong but CA's tight lip about their modding tools has me a bit worried...
    WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

Has this something to do with darths mod? I guess not, maybe you should continue in the modding sub forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    Mod tools - the only tool we really have for now has been far surpassed by some community ones. I hope to have more modding info for you guys after first gaemplay patch is out.
    Don't hold your breath.

Yeah, I saw Lusted's post too... that's always the problem with games companies, they write the bits of tools that they really, really need, and pour the rest of the effort into making the game. And really, considering the amount of bugs that slipped through the cracks, can you blame them?

I made a post in the other topic but i would say, if they can explain exactly how we can use the scripting files, and what some major parts of the .esf files do we should be fine.

I wonder if they will be able to drop us a bit of a lua decompiler for their files... not sure how likely that is though.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by Cursisanafou View Post
    I made a post in the other topic but i would say, if they can explain exactly how we can use the scripting files, and what some major parts of the .esf files do we should be fine.

I wonder if they will be able to drop us a bit of a lua decompiler for their files... not sure how likely that is though.
    We don't need a decompiler, they can simply release the source files

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.