Thread: [building preview] - 3D Taq-i Kisra

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Default [building preview] - 3D Taq-i Kisra

Additional Infos

Dear Gamer,

We proudly present our second official building preview. Today it is one of the most famous Sassanian building.

The Taq-i Kisra

The Taq-i Kisra (Persian طاق كسرى , meaning Iwan of Khosrau) is a Persian monument in Al-Mada'in which is the only visible remaining structure of the ancient city of Ctesiphon. It is near the modern town of Salman Pak, Iraq.
    The arch was part of the imperial palace complex. The Throne room—presumably under or behind the arch—was more than 30 m (110 ft) high and covered an area 24 m (80 ft) wide by 48 m (160 ft) long. It was the largest vault ever constructed in Persia. The inverse catenary arch was built without centring.
    The Taq-i Kisra is now all that remains above ground of a city that was, for seven centuries, the main capital of the successor dynasties of the Seleucids, Parthians and Sassanids of Persia. The structure left today was the main portico of the audience hall of the Sassanids who maintained the same site chosen by the Parthians and for the same reason, namely proximity to the Roman Empire whose expansionist aims could be better contained at the point of contact.

internal Infos

This phantastic 3D model was made (including the textures!) by
    Wundai
    - exclusively for AoD2 -

Furthermore we started to code customized settlement plans. That means a city like Ctesiphon grows in its own way, unlike the normal cities.
    This system will also be used for other cities in the AoD2-world.

More building-previews will follow soon
    be prepared

Your AoD2-team
    pm

The Taq-i Kisra

the building today is nothing more than a ruin. However, even this ruin gives us an impression about the cultural degree of the Sassanids. Furthermore it shows the ability of the Sassanid empire to build such monuments.

Little is known about the real structure of the Taq-i Kisra. In general only a layout/ground plan exists. That gave us the chance to speculate, to guess and to use our imagination.
    Wundai used patterns and real existing models of Sassanian tower, walls and architecture to finish that buidling.

ingame screenshots of the tactical view

some changes of model and/or texture are possible

Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; April 07, 2009 at 04:08 PM.