Thread: Moral mark 2

Default Moral mark 2

umm ive just come back from rugby training hoping to find an explanation from Darth but it seems u have closed my post because of someone elses audacious remark .
    well my question was whether you could make a realistic moral system. cant be asked to rewrite everything( look at my other post),
    so instead of closing my post can you awnser my question plz

Default Re: Moral mark 2

ok here is my original post
    hey i love dartmod and it is a must for all.
    However though only one thing is bugging me at the moment and thats with land battles. As you can probably guesse from the title my biggest gripe with Dath Mod is that moral isnt protrayed realistically i feel. as far as my knowledge goes i swear that this was the age of mass routes that units who were depleted to half its men or vastly outnumbered would flee
    in Darth Mod i had charged with 5 units of line inf at 2 units of line inf both held out until they had 20 or 15 men left is that realistic im not totally sure so i was wondering would you, Darth, be able to tone down moral to potray how it really was

Sorry for this.

It was not your fault.

From my tests it showed that they could not stand volley fire too much but maybe it needs to be altered more?

Do not worry. I will optimise it.

Until version 1.0 of DarthMod I must also experiment to new things.

This is however not a real problem to the battles.

What about strongly reducing the morale of the "base" units, but at the same time increase the morale bonus that they get with experience ?

Currently, units only get 1 morale bonus every two (!) levels of experience. Which is fairly low, and means a Militia with 6 chevrons is still below a regular Line recruited fresh from boot camp!!!

My own understanding is that, the more "battle experience" a soldier would get, the more likely he'll keep standing in a tough fight. Veterans who have seen a lot of blood won't freak out as much as green troops, no matter how famed and well-trained the latter are - nothing replaces real combat.

So I'd propose the following changes:

- get base morale decreased by approx. 4-5 points for Line Infantry (base = 5 or 6 for most of them), somewhat less for militia (they still need to stand - base = 3 would do) and for melee units (if pikemen are too low, I think they'd flee in a hurry), somewhat more for elites (make them end in the 7-9 base morale).

- make experience give +2 morale bonus for the first step (seeing some really combat for the first time), +1 for the few subsequent steps (I'd say step 2 and 3, which aren't too hard to get), +2 for the very latest steps.

This way, a Line Infantry with 3 chevrons (bonus: +4) would have similar morale as today's - routing quite late. A Line Infantry with 5 chevrons (bonus: +8) would have an iron will and be very hard to break - true "elite" selected by experience and actual combat only.

What would you think ?

ah no problem and cheers i know it aint a big thing too be honest its quit a small thing and i know theres other big fish to fry and love what ur doin at the moment
    glad to know its on your agenda though