Thread: General's Bodyguards

Default General's Bodyguards

First of all, All Hail Lord Darth! Now that that's done here's my question. Once a named general dies, is there any reason to keep the bodyguard unit since if you promote out of it, a whole new unit shows up? Is there any provision for "man of the hour" like it was in the last TW game? Other than having an extra unit to look after the general or an experienced cavalry unit, I don't see the relevance right away. Thank for the input.

bob

Default Re: General's Bodyguards

I use my left over bodyguard as additional bodyguard for the current general in charge. I don't think there's any real reason to keep them once the general dies unless you want to.

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

They still raise morale of nearby troops without the general.

I use my left over bodyguards to retreat to a safe spot and then use their devastating charge to rupture my enemy, even without the presence of a general. I also agree with ssmarine.

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Quote Originally Posted by ssmarine View Post
    They still raise morale of nearby troops without the general.

Are they? - are u sure? So why units brake when the general dies? They wouldn't brake if the left over horses still have that morale input.
    I think it's not his bodyguards it's the general who give that bonus!
    But u may proof me wrong!
    Last edited by Syntax; April 06, 2009 at 06:18 AM.

Generals rally troops horn needed

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
    Are they? - are u sure? So why units brake when the general dies? They wouldn't brake if the left over horses still have that morale input.
    I think it's not his bodyguards it's the general who give that bonus!
    But u may proof me wrong!
    See it like this:

General and his unit inspires the troops.
    General dies --> Shock that even their commander's died.
    His brave troops as mighty as they are will still impress them.

I still use the general's unit after the general is dead, they are still a good cavalry unit, and very useful in battle.

Syntax, the unit still gives morale bonus. Like what Aeterna said, in battle when the general die, they are shocked because their commander is dead, not because the morale bonus is gone.

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Quote Originally Posted by Aeterna View Post
    See it like this:

General and his unit inspires the troops.
    General dies --> Shock that even their commander's died.
    His brave troops as mighty as they are will still impress them.
    You view that from the realistic (life) side - that's smart and here you would be right, but a computer program does not work like this - the attribute of morale increase for surrounding units does only apply to the one specified - and I am nearly sure it is the general only, as the game troops get an morale hit as soon as the general dies but maybe the hit is programmed different as the area of morale increase - probably as when the general dies all units get the hit and not only the one in the area of the general - you are maybe right as the attribute can be given to other units also and some specify this to the units - not to the general itself - I mixed two different things! I got confused - if I think logic - and look at the files - you are right man the morale bonus still applies with that unit even the general is gone.
    Last edited by Syntax; April 06, 2009 at 08:30 AM.

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

The general's unit still offers moral bonuses, and you can use the unit again to bolster your units, like officers. When he dies the effect goes away, same with general unit with an officer instead of a general.