Thread: What did the Vikings call the area now known as France?

Default What did the Vikings call the area now known as France?

This question came up at a quiz I recently attended. Their answer was "Gallia" (Gaul). The Viking Age lasted from ca. 800-1050, after the Gauls had lost their power in France. First to the Romans, and then to migrating German groups (Teutons, franks etc.).

My suggestion was Normandie or perhaps Frankerland or Frankia or something. Normandie because it was a Viking kingdom and Frankia because the people who lived in France at that time were Franks I believe.

Now obviously the question itself can be read in numerous ways, and there are a lot of answers probably. Norwegian Vikings, Danish Vikings, British Vikings, Swedish Vikings and so on would probably have different names for it f.ex and the fact that the period lasts over 300 years numerous different names can have been used.

But personally, I thought Gallia (Gaul) was way to late. But perhaps the Vikings didn't care who lived there and referred to a name they learned a long time ago?

Anyone knows?
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Default Re: What did the Vikings call the area now known as France?

The 'Viking Age' is, in the UK at least, traditionally thought of as beginning with the sack of Lindisfarne in 793, and raiding in France seems to have appeared at nearly the same time. There may be hints of pre-existing trading though.

In any case, at the time France was part of the holdings of the Carolingian dynasty, which replaced the Merovingian dynasty as dux et princeps Francorum and later as the kings of the Franks. After a while the Carolingian Empire split into three parts, one of which was the West Frankish Kingdom or Francia Occidentalis. In turn that was taken over by the Capetians as King of the Franks etc. until the kings started calling themselves King of France in the C12th.

So, certainly, the people living there thought of themselves as Franks or under the king of the Franks, rather than Gauls. As for what the raiders called the place - it probably depended on how specific they were feeling and in exactly what period.

Thats a bit of a tough question. It like what do the Japanese call France? Who knows?
    The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Helm View Post
    Thats a bit of a tough question. It like what do the Japanese call France? Who knows?
    Mm yeah I agree with you. I can't find any written sources. I'll have to man up and ask a professor some day.
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

フランス/Furansu.
    The internet knows, because there is enough evidence to come to a reasonable conclusion.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

The Vikings called normandy Nortmanni which basically means land of the North men. france was probably known as Frankrig or Frankirk.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by St. Maurice View Post
    フランス/Furansu.
    The internet knows, because there is enough evidence to come to a reasonable conclusion.
    In what period was this? Anyways, cough up the Viking word for France and I'll be happy.

Bill Shankly

Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    The Vikings called normandy Nortmanni which basically means land of the North men. france was probably known as Frankrig or Frankirk.
    Sounds like the most feasible answer.

Bill Shankly

Although the modern Icelandic is Frakkland, and it's not too dissimilar to old Norse. I'd be interested to learn what the Faeroese is too. In any case, it'd probably be 'That place wot the Franks live.' unless they were being really specific and saying 'The place wot the Britons live in the place wot the Franks live.' or 'Paris.'

In what period was this?
    Modern. Courtesy of Google Translate, Wiktionary and so on.

Akrotatos's Avatar Vicarius

In Greece we still call France Gallia so it's not unreasonable for Vikings.
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    News flash but groups like al-Qaeda or Taliban are not Islamist.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrotatos View Post
    In Greece we still call France Gallia so it's not unreasonable for Vikings.
    But then it's strange that we've changed to Frankrike, as have every other former Viking nation. Spain still call Germany for Allemandes (or whatever) after the Allemani, as do the French. Why have they (and apparently also the Greeks) kept their former names whereas we changed?

Bill Shankly

Akrotatos's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    But then it's strange that we've changed to Frankrike, as have every other former Viking nation. Spain still call Germany for Allemandes (or whatever) after the Allemani, as do the French. Why have they (and apparently also the Greeks) kept their former names whereas we changed?
    It is strange now that you mention it. In Greece we call Germany Germania, France Gallia, Spain Ispania, Switzerland Helvetia, Italy Italia. I suppose it comes from the fact that we never stopped using the old Roman names for them and since we did not have much ocntact with those coutnries it stuck.

It could be the same about Vikings, they had heard the old name Gaul and since they did not venture so south until the Viking Age they kind of ignored the Franks and kept calling them Gauls until they changed it due to continuous contact.
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    News flash but groups like al-Qaeda or Taliban are not Islamist.

Eofor's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ishoss View Post
    The same reason why the word for English in all the modern Celtic languages is derived from Saxon-they're different languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Concillius View Post
    The same reason why the word for English in all the modern Celtic languages is derived from Saxon-they're different languages.
    It's odd how the Celtic languages derived it from Saxon, while the English themselves derived it from the Angles. I love those odd little quirks in linguistics.

Vaðarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

I have read some old Nores texsts and dont tink i have heard the term "Gallia" i think Frankarland or Frankriki or someting would be more likely. At least something with "Frank"
    Last edited by Vaðarholmr; November 04, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] því að með lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi með ólögum eyða.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

Anarius's Avatar Senator

24. Gönguhrólfr gerr útlœgr.

Rögnvaldr Mœrajarl var hinn mesti ástvin Haralds konungs, ok konungr virði hann mikils. Rögnvaldr jarl átti Hildi, dóttur Hrólfs nefju, synir þeirra váru þeir Hrólfr ok Þórir. Rögnvaldr jarl átti ok friðlusonu 3, hét einn Hallaðr, annar Einarr, þriði Hrollaugr. Þeir váru rosknir, þá er hinir skírbornu brœðr þeirra váru börn. Hrólfr var víkingr mikill; hann var svá mikill maðr vexti, at engi hestr mátti bera hann, ok gékk hann hvargi sem hann fór; hann var kallaðr Gönguhrólfr. Hann herjaði mjök í Austrvegu. Á einu sumri er hann kom or víkingu austan í Víkina, þá hjó hann þar strandhögg. Haraldr konungr var í Víkinni; hann varð mjök reiðr, þá er hann spurði þetta, því at hann hafði mikit bann á lagt at ræna innanlands. Konungr lýsti því á þingi, at hann gerði Hrólf útlaga af Noregi. En er þat spurði Hildr, móðir hans, þá fór hon á fund konungs ok bað friðar Hrólfi. Konungr var svá reiðr, at henni týði ekki at biðja. Þá kvað Hildr þetta:

Hafnit nefju nafna!
    Nú rekit gand or landi
    horskan hölda barma;
    hví bellit því stillir?
    Ilt er við úlf at ylfask
    Yggs valbríkar slíkan;
    muna við hilmis hjarðir
    hœgr, ef hann renn til skógar.

Gönguhrólfr fór síðan vestr um haf til Suðreyja, ok þaðan fór hann vestr í Valland ok herjaði þar ok eignaðist jarlsríki mikit ok bygði þar mjök Norðmönnum, ok er þar síðan kallat Norðmandí. Son Gönguhrólfs var Vilhjálmr, faðir Ríkarðar, föður annars Ríkarðar, föður Roðberts löngum spaða, föður Vilhjálms bastarðs Englakonungs; frá honum eru síðan komnir Englakonungar allir. Af Hrólfs ætt eru ok komnir jarlar í Norðmandí.

Ragnhildr dróttning hin ríka lifði síðan 3 vetr, er hon kom í Noreg. En eptir dauða hennar fór Eiríkr, son þeirra Haralds konungs til fóstrs í Fjörðu til Þóris hersis Hróaldssonar, ok fœddist hann þar upp.
    Heimskringla has the answer.
    The name "Valland" means "land of foreigners" and is related to Wales and Cornwall, it should be noted.
    I've also found mention of a "welsh" helm before in Heimskringla. I think it meant a helm imported from the continent.
    Last edited by Anarius; November 04, 2011 at 12:06 PM.

Xanthippus of Sparta's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    Well, Normandy became "Land of the Northmen" after the Franks allowed Rollo's Vikings to settle there permanently in 911.

"The fact is that every war suffers a kind of progressive degradation with every month that it continues, because such things as individual liberty and a truthful press are not compatible with military efficency."
    -George Orwell, in Homage to Catalonia, 1938.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Valland is the name your looking for. It encompasses western and northern france (brettange, normandy, belgium, etc.).

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Cheers!

Bill Shankly