View Poll Results: Make Grenadiers 160 unit size with no grenades and improved stats

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

86 44.10%
  • NO

109 55.90%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you want in the next version to remove grenades from the game?

Bob the Insane's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Do you want in the next version to remove grenades from the game?

Tweak them, nerf them, whatever but keep them in there...

Just IMHO...
    "They are the devil's vegetable" - Captain Keeble, HMS Bulwark

I think they're fine as they are really. I don't use them too much, and neither does the AI really.

I have tweaked them already. As much as I could.

I cannot find the way to lower their grenade ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    I have tweaked them already. As much as I could.

I cannot find the way to lower their grenade ammo.
    it would be nice if the ammo could be limited to 1 grenade, maybe when the full modding tools become available?

Historically speaking, grenadiers quickly lost their "grenade launching" specificity, and became instead an elite unit for assaulting the enemy.

Now, there's probably a question whether that wouldn't make them redundant with other "elite" units (guards). My own feeling is that guards could be line infantry with a bonus focused on fire rate (and perhaps a tiny bit of accuracy), while grenadiers would keep the same accuracy and rate as line, but have higher morale, charge and melee stats.

Historically speaking shouldnt the grenadiers, as a rule, infact be PART of each unit...

And shouldnt the Guards be fat, over paid, mummies boys who stayed at home protecting the King and didnt actually know how to fight....

Also - I cant vote in polls - but I vote for them being removed.

The AI never uses them, and when used by the player they are way OP, escpecially with the increased unit sizes(i am using 1.25X(200 line infantry)) they are way too deadly.

Libertus

I love the grenades

I say leave them in unless you can make Grenadiers worth recruiting. They already aren't really worth recruiting over line infantry IMO. It would be nice to limit the grenades to 2 or 3 but until that is possible I just limit myself.

It depends on what an ETW "unit" is supposed to be. Grenadiers would be a separate company, within a larger regiment that has other types of troops - if we consider the ETW unit to be a company rather than a whole regiment, that'd work fine (a "real" regiment was quite larger than an ETW unit).
    In some armies, the grenadiers would be a completely separate regiment - that's the case in Napoléon's Old Guard, for instance.

OR do what one of the other modders has done and take them out entirely and make the grenadier unit about the same size as a normal line regiment - so making them tougher melee units than line regiments with normal shooting capabilties, then the guards can be better shooters and have more moral.

Quote Originally Posted by grbo View Post
    In some armies, the grenadiers would be a completely separate regiment - that's the case in Napoléon's Old Guard, for instance.

Well yea - the british have the grendier guard as well. But tbh - they are in the game as 'guards' regiments.

Sure sometimes the light companies were split off into temporary battalions and the same with the grenadiers, but they werent perminant formations (until later when the british army started messing around with light divisions and green jackets)

I personally dont use light troops or grenadiers as it makes me feel like im commanding 1 regiment and a few cannon, rather than 11 regiments and 4 companies of artillery.

Nades should be less effective. and perhaps should only be usable one time. But no need to remove them.

Grenades use is highly inconsistent historically. If historical accuracy is the goal then they should be removed, its that simple. If to preserve the unit's unique status you want them than that is what should be done

Given this mods focus on history however I would state that their removal would be wise, in my humble opinion

They shouldnt have grenades at all. That idea is flawed, just make them what they are supposed to be, which is elite infantry units.

i say keep them. no totally accurate but makes for more interesting combat. it's kind boring just always playing the manuver/charge game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zreul View Post
    The AI never uses them, and when used by the player they are way OP, escpecially with the increased unit sizes(i am using 1.25X(200 line infantry)) they are way too deadly.
    Don't know what you're talking about, my AI always uses grenades.

Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh's Avatar Senator

I love using them
    Playing against 2 players on MP, I had 3 units of Grenadiers and each racked up 300-500 kills. It was beautiful

I don't care if they weren't used, as there were only very few 2nd rates and heavy first rates, right? But we can recruit them as much as we want.

If you can make the ammo 1-5, then I'd do that, and make them a full sized unit.
    But I don't vote taking them out.
    nos ignoremus quid sit matura senectus, scire aevi meritum, non numerare decet

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

I wouldnt go as far of removing them totally, they actually are an other type of unit. Makes the game less boring having something diffrent.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast