Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I get rid of "tighter formations" in Darthmod?

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Default How do I get rid of "tighter formations" in Darthmod?

Title says it all. I hate the tighter formations, they make things look ugly as they march, what with all the men jostling about for spaces in a neat line rather than spacing out a teeny bit and keeping formation as a result.

I like everything else in Darthmod, though, so is there an easy way to get rid of this one bit without loosing everything else?

I cannot mod to save my life, and I was a bit confused with unpacking to begin with (Why dosent anyone tell you extracting is the same thing?)

Carl von Döbeln's Avatar Crossing the Rubicon

Default Re: How do I get rid of "tighter formations" in Darthmod?

Moved

The Kahn's Avatar Civis

There are values you can change in the .pack file, but you need to use the packfile manager to do that.
    Its pretty simple to do, you just change the value of one number. But, it will be repetitive because you would have to change it for every unit that has too close of spacing, which I'm going to assume will be a lot.

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

Formations are a big part of the darth mod, so I wouldnt recommend changing them again. You can play around the files as you like, but every unit has his files pacing and rank spacing you would have to change them all.

Thats funny because i want them more tighter

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

I wouldn't change anything of Darths modding - as this was the main reason previous versions of DarthMods that people started complaining about certain AI behavior and not good ballance of units - at the end they all just but the files out of proper functional contend. Darth uses a lot of interacting between the different files to get a certain result (he "lives and feels" the game engine) - that separates him from many other modders! Also for the creator it's not possible to respond to questions on the modded mod! Some have to play DarthMods as they are created to get the full benefit - no modification - except some graphical. Thats what I saw and experienced over the time by playing his Mods.

I agree with TC. While I love gameplay improvements, forcing constant graphical glitches really destroys the immersion (for me) that DarthMod brought to the table with the vastly improved AI. At the moment, I don't know if I'll be upgrading from 0.6

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Yea because of this formations I don't use the Darth Mod anymore because they are causing serious fps drop...
    &

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by joreto View Post
    Yea because of this formations I don't use the Darth Mod anymore because they are causing serious fps drop...
    It definitely does on my system too. I havent seen too many people even bring it up so I wonder how many are experiencing this. I have a decent system.. I can play with all the settings on Ultra but with Darthmod I have to turn unit sizes to Large or crank the graphics way down.

I wonder if you space the units back out if it actually fixes this?

Quote Originally Posted by ssmarine View Post
    It definitely does on my system too. I havent seen too many people even bring it up so I wonder how many are experiencing this. I have a decent system.. I can play with all the settings on Ultra but with Darthmod I have to turn unit sizes to Large or crank the graphics way down.

I wonder if you space the units back out if it actually fixes this?
    Me too...

NovaColonel's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Rammstein View Post
    Formations are a big part of the darth mod, so I wouldnt recommend changing them again. You can play around the files as you like, but every unit has his files pacing and rank spacing you would have to change them all.
    I have to agree with the op. DarthMod is great, but the tighter formations are just not to my taste - so bad that I even thought about going back to vanilla once or twice. But this is not easy to be solved if you're not into modding...

Maybe someone could show mercy for us no-modders and provide something like a DarthMod with vanilla formation spacing
    My blog: http://novacolonel.blogspot.de/

Phenom I X4 @ 2.6 GHz - ATI Radeon X4870 1GB @ 800/1000 MHz - 4GB OCZ @ 667 MHz - Vista Home 64

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Yep I whole heartedly agree. The Formations are way too tight causing clipping and big framerate drops for me as well and I even have a NASA computer my friends say...

I'd recommend the tighter formations from lesterthenerd http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239280 . They're still a lot closer than the original and the ranks also stand closer which is more realistic.

Perhaps Darth Vader would want to look into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Yep I whole heartedly agree. The Formations are way too tight causing clipping and big framerate drops for me as well and I even have a NASA computer my friends say...

I'd recommend the tighter formations from lesterthenerd http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239280 . They're still a lot closer than the original and the ranks also stand closer which is more realistic.

Perhaps Darth Vader would want to look into it?

Yes, I actually have to agree with you on this. I like those spacings better too.

Thing is, this game really taxes your computer and graphics card. And there's memory leaks up the wazoo. I am not sure what computer specs Darth have though.

Mine is dual 3ghz, 2 gig ram, 4850 toxic card and I can not play with all settings on high even.

I have seen some posts where it is mentioned that changing the spacing effects cohedion which,in turn, effectd gameplay. Is this true? How much? I love the mod but watching guys fall out of ranks and bump into eachother while marching really kind if ruins immersion.

joreto's Avatar Tiro

I used the tighter formation mod with the darth mod before, but soon I noticed that they are incompatible, because when the are together for example the granadiers from 100 become 80, the accuracy of the line infantry from 25 to 45....
    &

Quote Originally Posted by joreto View Post
    I used the tighter formation mod with the darth mod before, but soon I noticed that they are incompatible, because when the are together for example the granadiers from 100 become 80, the accuracy of the line infantry from 25 to 45....
    They use the same file which contains accuracy, reload skill, melee skill etc as well as rank and file spacing. I've modded darthmod back to the original spacings but as I've only played briefly with Darth's spacing I don't know if this really effects gameplay or not. It should'nt effect musket kill rates unless the accuracy stat means a missed shot can kill troops that are standing nearby or that the tighter formations mean the volley is more bunched and has a greater chance of hitting, I doubt this is the case though.

joreto's Avatar Tiro

I don't think that the tight formations effects gameplay
    P.S. Can you upload the file that you have edited with the original spacings ?
    &

upsettingshorts's Avatar Senator

Someone ought to do some tests on the effectiveness of artillery with tighter formations.

I get the impression (I haven't tested) that tighter formations makes artillery, well - nonpercussion artillery, more effective. So I prefer it.

hmmm I don't know, I don't want to tread on anyones toes. If Darth says it's ok then I'll do it.

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Well ask him if you want.
    &

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast