Thread: [ETW AAR] Palisades des Österreichischen Habsburgs

Sparkshot's Avatar Biarchus

Default [ETW AAR] Palisades des Österreichischen Habsburgs

Palisades desÖsterreichischen Habsburgs

Difficulty: Hard/Hard

Wien, Österreich; Sommer, 1700

A man cloaked in black proceeds down a narrow passage leading to the Royal Palace, making deliberate movements, masking his steps as the birds sing their pleasant, almost mesmerizing melodies. The trees dance with the warm morning breeze crossing the lands. Farmers can be seen in the distance readying their cattle and tending to the fields as the sun rises above the horizon. It is summer and there is a foul stench that permeates the air—although distinct, unfamiliar. The man reaches a small door, greeted by a character whose identity is concealed by shadow. The shadow accepts a parchment from the cloaked man and the two depart without at word. The shadow moves along the Great Corridor while reading the message, squinting as the morning sunlight pierces through the magnificent windows of the corridor, obstructing his vision. The rapid clacking between heel and marble can be heard in the background, progressively becoming louder until it is right on top of this shadow. This shadow is Head - First Lord, Philip von Sinzendorf. Caught off guard, he is confronted by an old heavy-set man, his stomach protruding his waistline and a head crowned with golden curls that reach his shoulders; Ernst von Starhemberg, the Lord Secretary of War. Ernst looked determined and an argument ensued for a time before the two gained their composure.

Philip von Sinzendorf: …..and what would you have me do then…?
    Ernst von Starhemberg: I would have you speak with him at least Philip!
    Philip von Sinzendorf:...And what do you anticipate his response will be Lord Secretary…you know of what I speak. König Leopold has never consulted the Cabinet before imposing his will across the hereditary lands. He’s an autocrat and a sickly leftover of the Habsburgs, if that. What makes you so certain he will set a precedent this day? I fear your lack of judgment will jeopardize the little autonomy that we have.
    Ernst von Starhemberg: And I fear your egocentrism will jeopardize the very land our children play on. I am certain of nothing Philip, but if you have information I ask for the good of our countrymen that you share it with him.
    Philip von Sinzendorf: Well, unlike you Lord Secretary, I am certain. I am certain that I will waste nothing but time as we trouble his mind with this uncertain threat. His mind is set, and that is the Balkan Halbinsel as should yours. I…
    Royal Servant: Excuse me for the intrusion Lord Secretaries but the Cabinet has been summoned by the König.

Philip and Ernst exchanged looks of utter astonishment before they follow the Royal Servant into the Great Hall where a debate has already commenced. There they are met by Theodor von Strattmann; Lord Chief Justice, Gundaker von Starhemberg; Lord Treasurer, Christian Bach; Lord Secretary of the Admiralty, Prince Eugen von Savoyen, Ludwig von Baden-Baden, and König Leopold I.

Christian Bach: I don’t believe neglecting the northern borders because of your preconceptions Prince Eugen isn't sensible in the least. You of all people should know this!
    Prince Eugen von Savoyen: The last I checked, you’re not a general nor a war secretary nor a secretary of a meaningful department for that matter—does our grace even have a navy or an admiralty…your opinion is negligible in these affairs.

The Head – First Lord wasted no time offering his perspective

Philip von Sinzendorf: I concur with Prince Eugen, we should focus on certainty and our certainty is the inevitability of the Ottomans' next attack. Why should we sacrifice the security of Ungarn and Siebenbürgen for König Frederick, a nation as small as his poses no legitimate threat?
    König Leopold I: And how do you know of what we speak Lord Secretary, you haven’t been informed of the situation as I recall?
    Philip von Sinzendorf: Forgive me Mein Kaiser for I have received intelligence from one of our informants stationed in Brandenburg that König Frederick was expanding his recruitment in the region. I should have brought it to your attention earlier but felt it was nothing more than a petty matter.
    König Leopold I: As do I Lord Secretary. Lucky for you my informants are more loyal then you’ll ever be. None the less, let this discussion continue so that I may finally retire to more important matters.
    Ernst von Starhemberg: With all due respect I disagree. Considering the simple fact that Frederick wanted to be recognized as König “in” the Herzogtum Preußen and the Kurfürstentum Brandenburg leads to suspicion. Obviously it was purposely crafted to leave no insult with the Kaiser. And what about the separation between his two regions, by some sheer coincidentally he's expanding his forces? Time is of the essence and we must…
    König Leopold I: Lord Secretary von Starhemberg, are you suggesting my judgment was misplaced ?
    Ernst von Starhemberg: No Mein Kaiser, I am simply stating that your judgment will be misplaced if you disregard this information as a “petty matter”. Prince Eugen as well as everyone else in the room is aware of fact that the Battle of Zenta was a major defeat on the Ottomans' end. They are less of a threat now than they have ever been in the past one hundred fifty years. We must meet within reason. It is no secret that the Balkan Halbinsel is grossly unguarded. That doesn’t suggest war or suspicion on their part, it might suggest that they are incapable of providing a competent force but no matter. The point is that they pose no threat at this juncture. Gentlemen, you are so paranoid and content with fighting an enemy you know all too well that it has clouded your judgment, not mine.

Prince Eugen and many of the Lord Secretaries stare at von Starhemberg with resentment. The assembly pauses, patiently awaiting an anticipated response from the Kaiser as he sits at the throne staring through the window.

König Leopold I:So is this where you stand then?
    Ernst von Starhemberg:Yes, I stand by it Mein Kaiser.
    König Leopold I:So be it…what do you suggest?
    Ernst von Starhemberg: I suggest that Prince Eugen be reassigned to Schlesien, he is the most competent to provide an defensive strategy. The majority of our forces in that region consist of militiamen and irregulars. They don’t stand a chance. As such, we need the recruitment of fresh, highly trained infantry. General von Baden-Baden should be relocated near Preßburg, bordering the Ottomans as a percautionary measure. I also suggest investing in new military technology and infrastructure.
    König Leopold I: Lord Treasurer von Starhemberg, will our finances support such a measure?
    Gundaker von Starhemberg: Mien Kaiser our present budget is at 8,797 Thalers; 4,221 Thalers were allocated to Army Upkeep, as expecting, nothing was spent on the Navy, and 41 Thalers were spent on Town Watch. Österreichische Abteilung von der Schatzkammer is projecting income of 4,506 Thalers in the second half of this year. When added to the present Schatzkammer, assuming the absense of incurred investment expenses, there will be reserves of 13,303 Thalers. Hence, I would estimate that the Regierung could handle the expense. But this leaves little else to invest in other sectors. A strong economy is necessary to support this spending—investment in industry and agriculture would be good first steps. I would also suggest opening our borders to foreigners to encourage trade--acquire as many trade agreements as permissible. Quite possibly a trade agreement with the Ottoman Empire might even relieve some tension between us. Also, I know this tactic may be controversial but raising taxes on the nobility will give you some much needed cash flow.

Theodor von Strattmann, quickly jumped to his feet. A very quiet and honest man, yet insistent when the situation requires it, von Strattmann was a respected man among his colleagues.

Theodor von Strattmann: Mien Kaiser, I whole humbly disagree. We cannot afford to raise taxes on the nobility. More specifically what would be the reactions of Bohemia and Mähren, we had complications with them in past. Let’s not forget your approval ratings are hovering around 50%. I don’t think the best way to begin a new century would be to immediately raise taxes. The nobility would want accountability and when they see you’re burning through money as the army stands idle, they will not be pleased. We don’t want a full blown rebellion on our hands!
    König Leopold I: I appreciate your concern and reason Lord Secretary but let us not forget with whom the crown lies.
    Theodor von Strattmann: But…..but…
    König Leopold I: The situation will never come to this I promise you.

Philip von Sinzendorf desperate to reconcile himself with the König chimes in.

Philip von Sinzendorf: Mien Kaiser, if I may. I believe the best option to offset the increase would be to invest more in the arts. Your patronage for the arts is known throughout Europe, and what better way to appease the people and culture them simultaneously. I would also like to mention that we should not forget we are a landlocked country. We need more allies. In terms of our existing allies, Bavaria is the only faction within our proximity to lend assistance if needed. Good relations with others nations of the Heiliges Römisches Reich would be a wise decision. Venedig along with Polen-Litauen might be good options as well although the latter’s ambitions might get the best of them. Maybe we can forge an alliance with Russland and prevent the conflict completely, although I highly doubt it.

At this point König Leopold I looks frustrated with von Sinzendorf. A face that once was filled with neutrality has erupted into pure rage, no doubt a cause of von Sinzendorf’s condescending tone and König Leopold’s insecurity with his own abilities.

König Leopold I: That’s enough Lord Secretary. I have had enough of this blather and will rule as I see fit. The assembly is adjourned.
    Last edited by Sparkshot; April 04, 2009 at 01:33 PM.

Default Re: [ETW AAR] Palisades des Österreichischen Habsburgs

Wow... just... wow...

That was a fantastic piece of writing, I havent ever seen an AAR before that has so much political tension in its storyline and characters. I eagerly await the next installment.

+ Rep

PS: With that kind of writing ability I STRONGLY reccomend that you think about writing a novel, because with talent like that you could go far.
    "Whoever said that the pen is mightier than the sword has clearly never encountered automatic weapons" - Uknown

Read All Abou' It!
    Check out my ETW AAR, Courtesy of the London Herald newspaper.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...52#post5066052

GO BACK! YOU'VE FORGOTTEN SOMETHING, HAVENT YOU? REP ME YOU BASTARD!

Shadow8's Avatar Ducenarius

very nice!

Wow really great, just one thing: I think Leopold should be either Erzherzog or Kaiser but not König

Shadow8's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Kuningaz View Post
    Wow really great, just one thing: I think Leopold should be either Erzherzog or Kaiser but not König
    i completely agree, König isnt really what austrian rulers were called, almost all of them were Holy Roman Emperors and therefore would have used the title Kaiser