View Poll Results: Muskets are

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Historically powerful. Perfect. Nothing needs to change.

15 23.81%
  • Good balance. It needs improving though.

30 47.62%
  • Sometimes good sometimes it feels too weak. I am uncertain if I like it.

13 20.63%
  • I do not like it at all. Change it.

5 7.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you find the new Musket Balance of DarthMod?

Default How do you find the new Musket Balance of DarthMod?

For Version 0,75

Default Re: How do you find the new Musket Balance of DarthMod

i find it rather good atm, very close to where it would be perfect at. probably a few minor balance tweakings as we go, specific unit wise i mean, say a few faction special units should have a very minor advantage with range but thats all down to historic facts too.
    very good so far.

Default Re: How do you find the new Musket Balance of DarthMod

I'll second that. I dont think its to inaccurate. Theres also the psycological factor to take into account. Its not as easy killing another human as hitting a target at practise.
    Bye the way great mod I love it so far.

Default Re: How do you find the new Musket Balance of DarthMod?

ammo is great. tightness is great. more people die at close range. i think the configuration is just about there. under similar conditions for both sides, my men lost 10 men per volley at 40-60 range. 0-2 deaths at max range. lethal enough for me.

is it me or do troops reload faster? is it intended?
    -EDIT-i have no idea why. im using a swedish line against a UK line. both have the same stats(excluding melee). at same range and nearly the same time of shooting, the swedish(me) is losing more man quicker than the AI. but when i used UK too they stalemate. im confuse as if its a configuration problem or UK line is just made more powerful.
    Last edited by jumong; April 03, 2009 at 08:12 PM.

I like the increased letality of fire in 7.5. And the ammo is ok now especially in long siege battles.
    But the formations are too tight. I dont know why people want them like that. In 0.7 they were perfect and now there is bayonet sticking in all the holes of the human body and not only there. Rear ranks piercing frontal ones through their stomachs, and when walking or running they are so close like any moment there will be a "rear surprise" for the guys infront. Man its an orgy on the battlefield.
    Also i now discovered that there is no way to make an infantry in a 3 rank formation and probably in a square too to fire at a cavalry unit with all the 3 ranks. I dont know what is causing that and it could be a problem of the vanilla not of the mod. I cant test anymore cause its 4 am around here and its time for sleep. But this problem is mindblowing. No matter if the unit has fire at will turned on or off, or you directly order it to attack a cavalry unit it will do it with just the first line and the rest are just staying and scratching their b..ls. When you order them to attack an inf. unit they begin firing at it along with the first rank and everything is ok. But with cavalry as a target just the first rank fires. There should be some way to fix this cause the effectiveness against cavalry is brutaly low - 2-5 kills in one volley from the first rank and thats it - they dont have time for another volley.

I like the tight formations quite a lot, personally. My suggestion would be to perhaps slow down unit speeds a tad to make maneuvering vs. volley trading a bit more of a tactical decision. Anyone else agree?

The spacing in 7.0 had a great ballance. 7.5 seem a bit to cozy for me...

or is it just my imagination?

Musket power is great! But it feels as if units were packed too tightly. It destroys immersion somewhat.

Still, best mod out there.

I love the tightness and the musket range and power. Awesome work!

The musket combat in Darth Mod is obviously much better than in vanilla. The musekt effect at long range is perfect, but I feel that the difference between long range and close range is still to small. I think it should be possible to march your musketeers into bayonet range and then fire a volley so devasting that there would be no enemy left standing to return the fire, the Sweish infantry used to employ this tactic, so it is historically viable.

Some would argue that knocking out the entire enemy in a tripple volley is too extreme, but then how often do you actualy march your muskets into bayonet range before firing? I just like this option to be there so I can use my Swedish infantry in the way they were intended.

I'm not saying that from 10m etres away everything should die, but maybe if you get 3 metres away you could be able to fire these murderous volleys? It would be an ok compromise between gameplay and realism.

Lone's Avatar Libertus

Warhammster: Can you provide any source for the use of this tactic? Would be an interesting read.

I think that this could be used to devastating effect if you had your men reload just before charging close to the enemy and then letting of a deadly volley just prior to the bayonet charge.

From my experience when using the first person view to spectate the close quarters battle in the game using Darthmod with lines maybe 3-5 meters apart from each other, I have noticed that the men usually fire way over the enemy's heads from this range with most of the shots vertically missing the enemy line for about 1 or 2 meters. This is totally unrealistic unless it can be explained by some nervousness or something. But who on earth could miss a man sized target from 3 meters? This might of course be a bit difficult to address even by modding the game unless it is possible to increase the accuracy close to 100 when standing near the enemy. It might also be possible that the firing arc is hardcoded so that the men are unable to fire directly at the target because they usually fire in a small arc over distance. Could this be the cause for the close quarters inaccuracy?

I think the gun fire in the mod is now perfect, however I think the issue is now that troops move too fast. Everyone appears to move like they all have their own personal Segway.

Id vote for keeping everything exactly as it is, but slowing down movement a bit.

I think that musket fire is more than great. Try getting too close and you get the casualties you desire... but can you make it?

Troops move too fast?
    But I have normalized everything. They are at least 25% less than vanilla (maybe more... I do not remember vanilla base).

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Troops move too fast?
    But I have normalized everything. They are at least 25% (maybe more... I do not remember vanilla base).

They were WAY too fast in vanilla. Infact, they have been pretty damn fast in every TW game.

May just be my on little issue, but I think everything should be slowed down 15-25% more in movement.

Lone's Avatar Libertus

I agree that the musket fire is more than great but I think that Warhammster still has a valid point, accuracy should be near to 100 if standing somewhere between 3-5 meters. From my experience the fire is directed way too high vertically as the shots miss the bystanding men by sometimes over 2 meters which looks really stupid. Just try it for yourself, walk straight up to the enemy line and watch in first person (press Ins) to see how badly the shots miss at close range.

Edit: Oh and in my opinion the movement is just fine. A great balance between playability and realism.

I guess it depends what CA used for their base "Normalised" rate of movement.

Is there anyway we can test this or get it from CA to find out actually how fast theya re moving?

Well the musket balance is ok its not vary bad. It could be a little batter on the AI side means by improve AI fireing behind walls iv seen that when behind walls they dont fire Just like 2 or 3 AI soldiers do. The range is great and fire power is good also but for some reason they dont fire when behind walls Keep up the awsome work

I have changed the speed for every soldier. Some special soldiers move faster than others. For example the Native Americans.

Also cavalry marching speed is more and of course its maximum speed is less because it was way too high before.

Maybe I use the movement modifier to finalise this?

I think that the accuracy for the expert units needs to be amped up. Snipers such as long rifle men or trillaleurs should be few, expensive and accurate.

The morale penalty of losing an general is amazing though Many battles have been won or lost due to an cannonshot gone rambo!
    “"The robber of your free will," writes Epictetus, "does not exist”

What are you changing in the latest versions to make the musket balls fly way over peoples heads? It would be fine if they didn't keep doing this at close range.

edit: fixed nvm
    Last edited by nkbz; April 04, 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast